March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Parabola, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum), 320 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Brian #621950 11/13/22 10:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brian
I want wood and steel. A rifle made of walnut and steel, like a fine Fox double, has a certain je ne sais quoi.

I can appreciate a love of good walnut. I love it, too. But, rifles are precision arms. Rifles and shotguns have entirely different intentions, and to compare them for the sake of sentimentality is being narrow-minded. The early pioneers of accuracy were obsessed with finding out why a rifle couldn't place all the shots into one hole. They weren't enamored of walnut against cheek, like some of us are, but wood is all they had. They wanted accuracy, period, and strived for perfection. I'm reading Mann's book, The Bullet's Flight, right now, and have found a bit of insight into that "drive".

If someone is more enamored of wood than synthetic stocks, that is fine. But, synthetic stocked rifles ARE more inherently accurate in the long run. Tikka bolt guns are the most accurate production rifles made, bar none. I have years experience with them. Most will shoot one hole groups out of the box, at 100 yards, with factory ammo. I'm somewhere in the middle. I love beautiful walnut, but I also appreciate superb accuracy. My usual needs in a rifle don't require gilt-edged accuracy, as I suspect are Brian's needs (though I do own a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor). I can get by just fine most of the time with walnut. But, I sure as heck don't decry the use of synthetics for those times/people who require/want greater accuracy. Hey, you don't free float a barrel on a wood stocked rifle because you like the looks of gaps in the inletting. You do it because wood moves when moisture and temperatures influence it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: Tim Cartmell, John Roberts, Ted Schefelbein
Brian #621953 11/14/22 12:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kimber? Maybe, the old Dakota (Parkwest Arms)

Brian #621972 11/14/22 11:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tikka the best ???? I guess to each his own.

ULA/ NULA is the only exception to my wood preference, but that is a preference not exclusive, I’ll buy any of them at the right price, combination, or opportunity.

The reality is that in the past 20(+) years reliable out of the box sub MOA accuracy is a reality into rifles in the very cheap basic variety. But I guess that’s not what we’re talking about.

I wouldn’t say anything bad about Cooper, but I haven’t kept any that I have owned. They have been as good as, but no better than others I have owned ( Kimber, Dakota, custom items, etc). I find the lines just a tiny bit “square” or not quite smooth, sleek, or fit enough.

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Marks_21 #621975 11/14/22 12:43 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Marks_21
They have been as good as, but no better than others I have owned ( Kimber, Dakota, custom items, etc). I find the lines just a tiny bit “square” or not quite smooth, sleek, or fit enough.

exactly.

to the OP, does it have to be a bolt rifle? There are other kinds, you know. And far more handsome they are.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Brian #621982 11/14/22 03:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian, There is just something about a nice wood stocked rifle. I have not owned a Cooper but have handled them and they are nice. What I have purchased recently was a custom upgraded Pre 64 Winchester in 25-06. It shoots a single ragged hole at 100 yards. Stocked in a beautiful piece of English Walnut back in the 80’s by a local known guns with my the name of Frank Wells.
Someone spent a lot of money to build this rifle. Its in 99% condition.
I believe there are some real bargain shooters out there right now. I paid a fraction of what this rifle would cost to build. Everyone is buying Composite stocked rifles including myself.
I did buy a Fierce in 300 Win. Mag. Last year.

Brian #621989 11/14/22 06:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brian:

I owned a Cooper in .204 Ruger for a number of years. Took it prairie dog hunting once and fired 1000 rounds through it in three days with no failures or stumbles. It was a fine rifle and I liked it a lot.

I sold the rifle when I decided that was my last prairie dog hunt. I have a couple of other small centerfire rifles available on the off chance I get the urge to kill another woodchuck (unlikely), but the proceeds from the Cooper went toward a 28 gauge SIACE hammer gun that I wanted (and use) a lot more.

I thought they were fair value for the price, particularly if you are a blue steel and walnut fan, which I am.

Rem

Brian #621995 11/14/22 07:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Marks_21
Tikka the best ???? I guess to each his own.

I DID say "production rifle" but, I guess I should explain what I meant by "production rifle". Really, all rifles are produced, so all are production rifles in the strictest sense. What I meant is that a Tikka is the most dependably accurate hunting rifle, built on an assembly line, that can be bought, IMO. We have proven it time and time again. I know several people that had deer rifles built by custom rifle builders and spent many thousands on them, and were never satisfied with the accuracy even with tailored handloads. Then, they bought a Tikka and it outshot the customs right out of the box, without weighing 10 pounds. Tikka guarantees MOA accuracy but I've never seen one that didn't shoot much, much better than that, and with factory loads. The latest example that I saw was this past Saturday afternoon. A brand new Tikka outshot a Gradous custom rifle, right out of the box.

Marks_21, have you seen a Tikka that delivered worse than sub-MOA accuracy in the hands of a good shooter?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Tikkas have been coming on strong recently, might even be edging out the 700 for accuracy builds. I’m wrapped up lately chasing down other fun stuff, but I am pretty sure I’ll end up with one of their 6.5 varmint, which I’m thinking about using as a sort of western big game rifle, even though I’m just not much into big game.

Brian #622010 11/14/22 09:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Tikka experience is only 2 (.308s) and I would not say anything bad about performance. But I definitely didn’t notice anything special about performance either. For me I roll through a lot of “good deals” on right handed rifles that get moved on later because I am a lefty. Regarding the best of the bunch statement and production rifles- I would take a 1990s-early 2000 Savage 110/116 and the Kimber 84s over the Tikka a dozen times over. What I disliked most about the Tikka was the light “plasticy” action feel. To me the bolt didn’t feel slick or smooth but like it wasn’t made to last long. I do lean heavily to walnut and tradition, but also respect a quality tool. I felt the Tikka an average modern tool. I really felt it lateral to a bolt action AR-15. FWIW the Kimber 84 Hunters still good in my book but at least the first version had a TERRIBLY cheap plastic stock, but they still shoot.
About 3 years ago some generic retailer “sportsman’s outdoor planet warehouse superstore” was clearing out a few dozen Left hand Tikka T3s on gunbroker. They were around $400 I can’t remember exactly, I was probably a fool for passing but I really wasn’t a fan.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Brian #622011 11/14/22 09:22 PM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Add me to the Walnut and and blue crew. My Mauser held up fine on this coastal Black Bear hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.