March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

That doesn’t look difficult at all.

That said, Cole Haugh likely has pins that fit sitting on a shelf at his house. Google him. He imported Uggies for a time, and was the go-to service guy on Spaniards for a long time.

Those seem like perfectly reasonable reasons(shooting it well, low dollar outlay) to get a gun back up and running, to me. I own an Uggy that Cole has been through, it is truly not a fine gun, but nobody could say it isn’t a serviceable gun. I had him supply extra strikers and the tool to remove the discs when it was serviced. A good rainy day gun, for sure. A spare set would be a good idea for your gun.

I never understood the problems people claimed they had getting the discs out, until a friend showed me a picture of an English gun with disc set strikers, that were poorly engineered- the damn hammers came to a rest on the protruding edge of the disc at the shot, and had thoroughly peened the edge of the disc into the back of the face! Yea, those would be tough to remove.

At any rate, good luck.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Snipe Hunter
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks like a MIG weld extension and re-dressing job to me.
Mike

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I never understood the problems people claimed they had getting the discs out, until a friend showed me a picture of an English gun with disc set strikers, that were poorly engineered- the damn hammers came to a rest on the protruding edge of the disc at the shot, and had thoroughly peened the edge of the disc into the back of the face! Yea, those would be tough to remove.

Surely not, not an ENGLISH gun poorly engineered! You must be mistaken, Ted. crazy

On the flip side (of the pond), AH Fox guns were advertised as being able to be dry fired as much as desired, with no damage to the striker, or any other part of the gun.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for the advice and information. I really appreciate it.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can dry fire a Darne to your hearts content as well, Stan. The guys at the shop in St. Etienne put them away in the rack after they snapped the triggers.
You should have the barrels in place when you do that. I can’t understand why people would dry fire a double gun without the barrels in place, but, there it is.

It was an English gun, Stan. Other than that little detail, it was well finished and quite nice. I believe the ‘Smith actually shortened the discs up, and reused them, after fitting them correctly.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: Snipe Hunter, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

The late British gun maker, Jack Rowe would make firing pins on his lathe from O-1 drill rod and not further heat treat them. I have found that his method works very well and can recommend it to you. He also offered the expertise advice of not having the firing pin protrusion any longer than 1mm (.0393701") for Spanish guns to prevent firing ping drag on opening the action/barrels.

2 members like this: Snipe Hunter, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skip,
if your search for a new pin dead-ends, send me the dimensions and I will make you a couple. I have drill rod and the lathe still works.

John

4 members like this: Snipe Hunter, Geo. Newbern, mc, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

That's one of the things I like about this board .......... how generous and helpful so many are.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have use grade 8 bolts and m2 ,the bolts can be found in a lot of diameters at the local hardware store ,you could make that with a drill press and files

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have made one using O-1 drill rod from advice I received here. Cut a bit off and chucked it into a drill. Place the drill in a vice horizontally. Used a couple of files and a caliper to keep tabs on my progress. Took little time. Not much more than half an hour. Only caveat is it heated up a bit and I measured as I went. When it cooled it had a bit smaller diameter. Still worked fine in the gun. I would suggest a wet rag to cool it before taking measurements as you go.

I had a 28g. gun I had trouble shooting due to a pretty large front bead. Dewey helped me with it at his house since it fit me but I could not shoot it well. He took the large front bead off, we went into the basement and he chucked it into a drill set vertically in his vice. He then proceeded to reshape it using files and sandpaper. Took a few minutes, reinstalled and problem solved.

So many guns, so little time!
2 members like this: Snipe Hunter, DoubleTake
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.