March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ll consider it. One of the elements of hunting, for me, is the dog. If I didn’t have a damn dog, I might not hunt.

The invite is noted, and appreciated. Yea, rifles that don’t have a purpose are thick on the ground, here, right now. Guessing the 30-30 and the .44 magnum carbine would stay home with the dog, and the 30-06 or the 7mm magnum would get the job.

I seem to recall watching Dad shoot the 7mm and thinking to myself “that looks unpleasant”.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is not a great deal that the 7mm Remington Magnum can do that a .30/06 cannot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
There is not a great deal that the 7mm Remington Magnum can do that a .30/06 cannot.

True.

My dad had hoped to travel west to hunt pronghorn, and perhaps some other ungulates, and built the 7mm for that task. He never got further west than Aberdeen after he settled down and started collecting a Marine Corps pension.

The rifle is basically new.

The 30-06 is the 742 version of the Remington Speedmaster, 1963 vintage. Basket weave wood, also mostly unused. Dad gravitated toward the Ruger .44 carbine I bought him for Christmas, in 1981.

Going west would give me the chance to put the 7mm to a use similar to what Dad wanted to do with it.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

I take it that the 7mm is a bolt action, and I agree it is likely to have an edge for long range work.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have both and I’d have to concur. My 7mm is in a pre ‘64 style M70 action and my favorite rifle for the west. My -06 742 remains my favorite rifle for still hunting the Ozarks of my youth.

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 11/24/22 02:05 PM.

Speude Bradeos
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, do you use one or two trekking poles? They really can be a huge help, especially going downhill and when carrying heavy loads, of course. With 3 knee surgeries behind me, I try to be proactive in preventing more damage. As an upside, it helps with a lot of leg and core fatigue. More than I would have guessed. I use a telescoping pair of Black Diamond carbon-fiber poles.

Last edited by BrentD; 11/21/22 11:56 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I’ll consider it. One of the elements of hunting, for me, is the dog. If I didn’t have a damn dog, I might not hunt....

Best,
Ted
Your comment prompted me to fill out my coyote story from the rmb lock down thread. The friend of mine has a couple of decoy dogs, as good as any top bird dogs. They sit perfectly obedient, and when a coyote shows up, he sends them out, and they work like it's some sort of symphony. It aggitates they coyotes to no end, and others start to come out of the woodwork. They can't stand another canine on their turf, and drop their wariness. Bird hunting with a good dog reigns, but may the rmbs, and his criminal enabling, of this fine country be opposed at every moment. Ooops.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In thinking about “headed back out again” I think once more into the breech.

The moment we cease to get up and go we step closer to oblivion. Nothing is better for your soul than the urge to ruck up and go.

Good on you Lloyd.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad’s rifles were his pride and joy:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The 7mm is a first year, with the stainless barrel. The carving of the deer in the stock is artful-I’m pretty sure the Japanese artisan had never actually seen a North American whitetail deer. Carvings in gun stocks are not to my taste, but, Dad wanted it. The checkering lady at Ahlman’s can convert the impressed checkering to cut checkering, but Dad didn’t see the need. The engraving cut in the steel and the aluminum floor plate is as nice as it gets. The barrel is finished in black chrome. The guns are laying on my Dad’s field coat, 1951 vintage, that the boy uses to this day.

The 30-06 is the gun he usually used until I bought him the Ruger. He took several deer with it in New Jersey, in 1962, after he fought like hell with the local CLEO, who didn’t think there was any reason a 31 year old, Marine Corp sniping instructor with 7th rifle corps needed a deer rifle for the two years he had left at that duty station. Dad’s CO begged to differ. Dad got his rifle and a new attitude about Easterners. Dad had one scope, a Bausch and Lomb Balvar, that he switched between the guns. No adjustments on the scope itself, they are on the mounts. Ahlman’s, for many years did a lot of work converting the 742 Remingtons to pump guns, after they got rusty chambers, and tore themselves apart trying to eject a spent cartridge. Dad’s chamber, of course, is clean.

I imagine either gun would suffice to kill deer out west. Still, it is sad my Dad never got a shot at that pronghorn he built the rifle to take. The autoloader seems to be more pleasant to actually shoot. Dad never shot the 7mm more than once or twice, but, he didn’t need to. He had a grasp of ballistics that no one I have ever met has had. He would ask “What weight bullet, how fast” and have the damn gun on target, first round, in the bull with the second round. He made it look easy.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: Lloyd3, Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Both rifles would clearly work, but the 7mm is more seemingly adapted to the vastness which defines western hunting. Growing up in the deciduous forests of Pennsylvania had me struggling to adapt to the rigors of hunting in the Western States when I first got here (back in the early 80s). My whole approach had to change, and with time (and a few successes) it did. Now I enjoy the blessings that both offer and would feel deprived if a year passed without either. As much as I like to walk with with a fine shogun, a walk with a good rifle is also very satisfying. The focus is completely different (far versus close) but the net effect is the same. Each is an adventure that is full of possibilities, and each still feels like a stolen moment (a guilty pleasure!). Modern life makes so-many demands upon us, to step out of that world is always refreshing, invigorating, and (at least for me) full of wonder at the natural world. It will be a sad day when I have to put my rifle away for the last time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/22/22 11:18 AM.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Parabola
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.