March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 366 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=HistoricBore]I suspect the Percy Stanbury gun was a Model 600 Special (with ejectors) just like my one, which was sold in December 1946 but probably started life before 1939. It has 30 inch barrels and a semi-pistol grip, but two triggers.
I have cleaned it and put it away after shooting 3 duck (with steel) and eight pheasant (one ounce of lead) on our local driven shoot. They still work...

My friends Greener played up so I let him use the Webley - three birds for four shots.

HB[/quote
Hello, All the articles I have seen by respected authors and indeed an owner of Stanbury's gun, state it is a modified 400 manufactured 1921. In an article in the Field magazine Mike Yardley describes Stanbury's gun as the finest side by side he has fired. The 600 was first manufactured 1927,Regards mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Single trigger gun with faulty trigger no gun, double trigger gun with faulty trigger you have single barrel gun, far better than nothing when out hunting. Single trigger Webley & Scott 700 I have never seen on this side of the pond though they may have made some for export to your side of the pond.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
3 members like this: Parabola, Imperdix, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.

Situational awareness. It is slowly destroyed in Ruffed Grouse hunters as they age.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

here is a tip for you yankee bird hunters in cold weather...

wear the warmest and thinnest glove you can find, on your shooting hand...

cut the thumb and trigger finger off the glove...

if it is too cold to hunt with your trigger finger exposed, then it is too cold to be outside...

birds would be hunkered down in a snow bank anyway, so why bother...

unless you really like freezing your ass off...if that be the case, then consider ice fishind without a hut...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/22 12:03 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

as for single trigger reliability...

have had no experience with w&s...

over the years, have sold several westley richards, parker, lc smith, fox and ithaca guns with single triggers...

none have been a problem, except for those damn parkers...

old or new, those single trigger parkers are a pain...

good news is that a cleaning and lube job usually does the trick...

some have found that a quick temporary fix is squirting the innards with silicone spray...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
as for single trigger reliability...

have had no experience with w&s...

over the years, have sold several westley richards, parker, lc smith, fox and ithaca guns with single triggers...

none have been a problem, except for those damn parkers...

old or new, those single trigger parkers are a pain...

good news is that a cleaning and lube job usually does the trick...

some have found that a quick temporary fix is squirting the innards with silicone spray...

Mr. Bad wrench.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, gee ted, tell us about your experiences with fixing single trigger guns...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/22 12:29 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only issue with rear trigger first: That's typically the barrel with the tight choke. That can work OK in driven shooting, where the birds are coming at you. But it's bass ackwards in rough shooting, where the first shot is typically the closer one and you want the more open choke.

Gloves: I've had pretty decent luck with thin wool inserts inside unlined leather gloves. But you have to find the right combination of the two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
The only issue with rear trigger first: That's typically the barrel with the tight choke. That can work OK in driven shooting, where the birds are coming at you. But it's bass ackwards in rough shooting, where the first shot is typically the closer one and you want the more open choke.

I fail to see how that's an issue. That's the way it is by design. It's no more an issue than the right barrel usually being the open barrel is an issue, which it isn't.

It's just a choice, that requires no manipulation of a barrel selector, to make.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.