March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

i have a nice old english hammer gun that needs the ribs relayed...when choosing a smith to do the work, i would hope barrel re regulation would be offered as part of the overall project...”

Well you dunce, it’s not. It’s two separate jobs. If you want to pay that gunsmith to re-regulate your barrels or to check the regulation of the barrels…and if he wants to take on that job (many will not), then do so, but you will pay dearly. It’s hard enough to find a competent gunsmith to just re-lay ribs let alone one that’s willing to take on the job and expend the time and energy to re-regulate the barrels.

You like to recommend Gunter Pfrommer anytime someone ask for a recommendation, call him and ask him if regulation is part of the rib relaying process. I can guarantee you it’s not. That’s what jigs & taking measurements are for, to keep everything lined up correctly so you don’t have to worry about moving something accidentally and changing poi.

The entire process has been laid out for you in basically coloring book style by some extremely knowledgeable and competent individuals here and yet you still want to flap your gums and either ask dumb questions, make stupid comments or suggestions, etc. It’s so tiresome.

People are tired of your stupid antics here, Ed. You have got to be the one of the most ignorant, annoying, and completely obtuse people this board has ever had.

7 members like this: SKB, Karl Graebner, mc, graybeardtmm3, Stanton Hillis, mark
LeFusil #622639 11/26/22 12:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil

People are tired of your stupid antics here, Ed. You have got to be the one of the most ignorant, annoying, and completely obtuse people this board has ever had.

I don't know, Frank (jOe) gives him a run for his money.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

well, maybe i have had too much exposure to professional gunsmiths who see beyond the immediate task at hand...they try to minimize the risks of being found liable for problems that may or may not have existed before their involvement...

for example, they know that one unhappy customer with a big mouth and lots of contacts can cause far more loss of revenue by not bothering to at least offer re regulation as an option...and of course, if one is not set up for or experienced in barrel re regulation, then the rib relaying customer should be made aware of this skill deficientcy, so that, if the gun is found not to shoot to point of aim as desired, after the rib relaying job, that they then have to go elsewhere for problem resolution...and at their expense, of course...

sort of like when barrels are machined for after market choke tubes, the customer should be advised that the barrels may or may not require re regulation...

in my conversations with professional gunsmiths over the years, they have related that much of their gun repair work involves fixing problems caused by untrained, inexperienced and incompetent gun hacks...who may or may not call themselves gunsmiths...

Last edited by ed good; 11/26/22 11:22 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have fixed many guns sold to unsuspecting buyers by so called gun experts who hawk tarted up crap and then don't stand by there crap products ,and there first demand to a gunsmith is do the cheapest repair they can so they can flog the turd Onto there next rube. Most guys who who hawk tated up crap have no interest in anything but the sale.if a gun is brought in for relaying the ribs all bets are off on poi because a gunsmith has no idea where it shot before the gun fell apart

Sidelock
Sidelock

yet ah nutter mal content, aka mc, heard from...

it an dat creature fusel make quite ah pair...

wish we knew more bout dem...

maybe if we could figure out watt makes erm so misible, we could help...

it is so sad knowing there are people like these two that appear to be so unhappy...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/22 08:54 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
sort of like when barrels are machined for after market choke tubes, the customer should be advised that the barrels may or may not require re regulation...

When done properly, the threading a barrel for choke tubes never causes POI to shift. But, I'm not going to waste my time explaining to you why. Look it up for yourself.

Another swing and a miss. Wish we had an umpire, 'cause you're way past three strikes.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don’t feed the trolls

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://shootingsportsman.com/stripping-relaying-ribs/

seems like delbert does professional work and covers all of the bases...

he may just be the man to fix my old scott hammer gun...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/22 11:28 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

for stan...i too wish we lived in a more perfect world where things are done right and little goes wrong...

but...like gump said...

sh*t happens...

meantime, this is for you...sit back, relax and enjoy...

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/22 08:50 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Del relaid ribs on a set of barrels for me about 15 years ago. He re-browned them too. The rib relay is top notch….the browning was so-so. Anyway, all I sent him were the barrels. How’d Del check the regulation of the barrels I sent him, Ed? He didn’t. Like his article says….he took meticulous measurements and he also has a really neat, self designed jig set up that keeps everything where it should be. He put the barrels back together the way they were sent to him. Guess what? The poi is exactly where it was when I sent him the barrels.

If you want Del to do your barrels, get in line. He’s probably a year or two out these days.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.