March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

We have bunch of common ground with us both being outdoors oriented & living the blue overcrowded place our beloved Colorado has become. Like you I signed up for Medicare last July myself & you're right it is a sobering experience realizing that I'm now officially in the ranks of being a senior citizen. Be aware that there will probably be some unforeseen potholes in the transition from your old insurance to Medicare.

Like you I've also been considering moving someplace other than here, but the big question is, where it is any better? It's the old deal of, Is the grass actually greener on the other side of the fence? I never really understood the snowbird retiree thing until recently & now find myself thinking that might not be too bad of a lifestyle. The biggest issue is maintaining two places in different locations. I'm tired of the cold & snow even with our fairly mild winters here on the front range. My idea is to throw my snowblower in the back of my pick-up and drive south until someone asks me, What's that thing for? This is when I'll know I'm probably within 200 miles of being far enough south.

My thinking is. I can play around with my double guns just about anywhere and can travel to good bird hunting destinations on an as needed basis. You can find decent fishing just about anywhere by modifying your methods & adjusting accordingly. In some ways I envy our friend who just pulled up stakes & moved to Maine. I could see myself living there in the warmer months but wouldn't want to winter over there.

Good luck with your choices & let us know what you decide!

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes the "expectation is greater than the realization". I've experienced that several times in my life!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe, convince your son to do a summer road trip on college break, and just head a bit north to Wyoming and maybe Montana for a look around. Tons of elbow room, low pressure public access, and one really doesn't have to worry about crime in a Constitutional carry state. It's not that a person has to have a wild west mentality, more the bad folks think twice, knowing every vehicle and home has the tools available as needed. There are probably many modest to extravagant houses, on modest acreages, within touch of larger town services, and big expanses of fishing and hunting that cannot be developed. Lots of folks want to be in the mountains, but foothill areas can give quick access to big and small water, upcountry and the plains. All manner of game bird access, except for those hardwood forrest grouse?

2 members like this: John Roberts, Ted Schefelbein
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all. My wife and I are in the early exploratory stage of all this. It's really hard to uproot from anywhere after 30-some years (and I'm really only willing to do it one more time). The short-term plan is to live in various places for a few months first just to see how it feels. Northern Maine is actually already on the list for a late summer/early Fall extended visit, and perhaps Traverse City after that(?). The number of variables are immense, of course, and I'm looking for that magic combination of ruffed grouse and trout, but work, health, and even family variables hold very large sway over any decision. We also still have the place in Minnesota to figure out. Oh well, good problems to have.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/04/22 03:45 PM.
2 members like this: Run With The Fox, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to settle East of Grayling, the Atlanta area comes to mind. Lots of good outdoors minded gun owning folks on our "Sunrise Side "too. Used to deer and partridge hunt on a few of the Club Country lands near Mio, with our Greenville area MSP Lt, and Lakeview Post Cmdr.. He grew up in Mio, and after his "30 and out" with the Staties, he and Barbra retired there. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
Sometimes the "expectation is greater than the realization". I've experienced that several times in my life!
Karl

speaking of expectations.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIQVG0Bcu6w

i'm about to start the process of settling all my accounts in north east texas, and moving for better/worse to 7,000 ft elevation in the mountains of southern new mexico...decisions like this are always a subjective/balancing proposition.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
2 members like this: Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
The Steelhead runs are terrible and all of the grouse are long gone from MI!!! 😝. In all seriousness we still have good grouse hunting in the Lower Northern as well as the UP. As mentioned already TC, Potosky and Charlevoix have all gotten a tad over priced but other areas can be found w/a decent cost of living near by. Great healthcare, restaurants and other amenities are in those areas.

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fly fishing, and bird shooting'? I would love to retire in Alaska, but not during the the long night. Best wishes on finding a suitable retirement location Lloyd. I hope all the variables work out for you.

Last edited by nca225; 12/05/22 10:33 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up near Kalkaska. Hunting and trout fishing are both better in Colorado. I prefer the way CO runs big game seasons (multiple seasons, draws) and we simply have more species. Deer season in MI is a complete free-for-all and you have no realistic chance at an elk tag. Western hunting in wide open spaces is just more fun (in my opinion) than sitting in a blind or tree stand. Catching big trout in MI is mostly an after dark pursuit. On an average day you will do better on the Arkansas or the Platte than the famous northern MI rivers. Invasive species screwed up the smelt which screwed up the steelhead. MI does win on overall fishing because there are so many lakes to chase panfish, bass, and so on. You can even try for sturgeon in a few places. Bird hunting is probably a tie, CO has no ruffed grouse, but same as big game, CO has more species. You can't shoot doves or cranes in MI. The Munson healthcare system is for shit. You'd need to go U of M for anything critical. Ironton MI is an underappreciated area and river. The Drummond Island area is nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't speak to Michigan, but if I were looking to move to someplace to retire from where I now live, I'd consider north-central Pennsylvania, somewhere just north of I-80 near a town called Danville. Great medical care (Geisinger Health System), good fishing (Susquehanna River and numerous feeder streams), grouse hunting in the nearby state forests and a couple of universities within a short distance for intellectual stimulation. Plus, rural Pennsylvania is still pretty conservative and it's likely to stay that way for a while.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.