March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#623193 12/06/22 09:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been lucky in my 40 years of trading sxs I had 2 great guys helping me,Russ Ruppell and Leo Bradshaw.How do we make a fair offer on a gun.I have been offered a very nice BHE with special engraving 1 frame 12 blue 75% case 25% but a really bad restock. Gun was offered at 6k offered below that.5k wood and restock and no collector value. Guy shutdown on me.I don't need the gun bit the engraving was.special.What do we do guess learn to walk.Your thoughts. Pipeliner

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you do not like it when your first buy it, you will like it less in the future

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
3 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Run With The Fox, eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

Words of wisdom from Skeetx.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Sidelock
Sidelock

First I suppose you are talking about a Parker. So what would the gun be worth if everything was correct and in the same condition. Then compare it to his asking price. Is he already discounting the fact that it's been re-stocked? Asking prices are "starting" prices. Everything is negotiable.
Then you must decide if you are willing to pay more and be able to accept it as it is. If it's going to be your shooter and it is a reasonable price then buy it. Evidently it got something to get you this far.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Its really not about me.Buzz and had a good row about a gun he has for sale we worked it out no harm.But when you offer a fair price for a gun and the owner doesn't no the frame size on his high grade Parker that's a issue. Parker owner had a average 12 Sterlingworth which I can buy one every 3 years local in Texas for 650 wanting 2k.Guess I am to soft hearted.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PAlUNC only wanted a best gun after 300 plus sxs 4 wife's Quatros,40 plus years offshore in the oilfield just tired. A EG Higham 2.5 for woodchuck and beater Eagle grade for ducks I am happy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Walk. By shutting down, I think the seller walked. I really wouldn't worry if the seller has an "issue", I would tend to look out for the buyer by walking with zero regret. I'd be realistic about me, if you hope to convince a seller that you are soft hearted. That probably doesn't even enter their thought process. Many things have gotten away from probably all of us, but likely very few really special things.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Walk.

This. Lots of fish in the sea.

And, if you take the big sleep before it happens, what would it have mattered anyway?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

About the only smart thing I learned from a brother was "there is ALWAYS a better deal waiting". Now that was in regard to collector cars but it holds true for most everything. Don't always apply it but I'm only human. laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Paying more than a guns true value just does not work for me. You can not pay “if perfect” prices for a gun which clearly is not perfect. Rare does not fix things. Worse with the premium placed on original condition any work done to fix or restore by definition has to reduce value because the gun is not original, pristine and high condition. If a gun has 10% bluing left, rebluing does not restore it to 100% condition no matter how you do it. A gun needing a new stock has only value as a shooter because any new stock will destroy any real collectible value. Plus it cost will never be recovered at resale. You pay 5K, then restock for 3K and then will be lucky to even get 5K at sale because original condition is gone.

Sellers always think their gun matches up with other guns even when they clearly do not. These days I just tell over enthusiastic sellers that I am downsizing my collection and pass on even making an offer. Don’t want to hurt their feelings, don’t need to make them mad and not looking to educate them or argue with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.