March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I moved to Mn. from NC in 99 one of my neighbors I quickly got to know was from Co. a PhD who worked in Research and his wife a nurse was from Wyoming. Had the largest Royal bull hanging in his living room I have ever seen. I asked him why he moved from Co. to Mn. and he said there were too many foreigners moving in and he had to escape. Caught me off guard because I really couldn't see him being racist but couldn't think of anything else so blurted out Mexicans? He looked at me horrified and said hell no, Californians! That was more than 20 years ago. Couple of years ago he retired and moved to Kentucky where one of his daughters lives to be near the grandkids. Guess a lot of people retire to be near the grandkids.

I was in Western NC for 3 years of my twilight duty and stayed there for a couple of years after retiring from the Navy working for a VAR. Covered a lot of the SE. Everyone thought I was crazy for moving to Mn. from Western NC. They may have been right but pretty sure I shot the last grouse in WNC so moved to where they were. Besides the head hunter was really good and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Was stationed up and down both Coasts including living in NC when in the Tidewater area. One of my sisters lives in Raleigh and we moved my mother from Fl. to be near her when she had a stroke a few years back. Was there in August for her 85th birthday and knew it was going to be hot and humid but it caught me off guard it was so brutal. I'm spoiled now.

There was a time people had a summer home where they established relationships over many years and then would go to Fl. in the winter for a few months like my mother on the East Coast. Or Texas in the MidWest or Az. usually from the West. Not many people can afford to do that these days . On the East Coast they would drive back and forth between the North East and Fl. and many of them realized NC was the perfect place. We called them halfbacks, they made it halfway back. And ended up staying, some might call them Damn Yankees because of that as well. I was usually referred to as just being from Up North.

Kind of figured I'd end up going back "home" in the Twin Tiers of NY/Pa. when I retired. NY is out for many obvious reasons. And North Central Pa. is not what it used to be. With fracking many of the roads have been paved. And people. They are everywhere now Potter and Tioga Counties are not what they used to be. And people. Everywhere.

I have 5 months before I have to worry about MC although getting all the messages about it from work already. Still working and likely will for a few more years. I lose Tricare once I turn 65 and don't get Tricare for Life until I retire for good. Working at the #1 ranked hospital in the Country if not the world my medical combined with Tricare is pretty good. As is the care, would be hard to give that up. With hospitals in Scottsdale and Jax there are options but don't see myself living in either place. Well maybe Az. for a month or 2. Eventually. But Mayo doesn't take Medicare at those 2 locations unless you are a resident of the State.

I don't think there is a perfect place to retire to, give and take to all of them. After 6 heat strokes being in some damn sandbox or around one I couldn't wait to get back to someplace where I could pee my name in the snow. Now that cold hurts my bones and joints. In the morning this time of year a cup of coffee and tell myself to suck it up buttercup, there are a lot worse places to be. But still look and think of other places this time of year. Overall I consider it a well kept secret and great place to live and hope the word doesn't get out. Don't need anymore people here either. Well Lloyd you already go to LOW and have history so are welcome anytime smile There are steelhead on the North Shore but Superior being the largest, deepest, and coldest freshwater lake in the world it is pretty sterile and the steelies are relatively small.

Good luck and hope you make it through the MC minefield! If you find that perfect place to retire please let me know I'm worn out from that mental exercise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Cold Iron
...I don't think there is a perfect place to retire to, give and take to all of them....

Lots of truth to that statement. But after a lot of agonizing we pulled the trigger a month ago on 50 acres of "Up North". It will take 18 months or so to get there but we are going. Lots to build in the meantime.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
...I don't think there is a perfect place to retire to, give and take to all of them....

Lots of truth to that statement. But after a lot of agonizing we pulled the trigger a month ago on 50 acres of "Up North". It will take 18 months or so to get there but we are going. Lots to build in the meantime.
Congrats to you and the wife!

I don't agree with you on several posts on another website about wolves, along with other things related to it. But after you posted on that site and understood the dog wolf encounter at Isabella I realised you may understand it better than I thought. It is complicated. And was surprised that you are originally from the SNF IIRC. I have too many wolf encounters to get into a pissing contest with someone about it and had one near Isabella when the other person had one as well.

Before we went into Desert Shield JAG came on board and if you were married had to do a Will. It was an eye opener, Chit is getting real, before that I was invincible. Would not made it where I did if I didn't think that.

In Nuclear Power School in the 70's which was my start I went to Daytona Beach one weekend and met 2 girls from Tn. and spent the week with them until we all ran out of money. Went to Captain's Mast for it and the Captain said I was unreliable. An officer that was there from Wi. representing me that at the time and didn't know me personally said Skipper I think there are 2 young ladies from Tn. that would disagree with that statement about being unreliable. I was busted although Steve went on to be what he was deserving of him, 2 Star Upper half Admiral. I think he may be German?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I led my men into battle without much issue. Except for a good friend from Alaska that we fished the chalk streams in England before Desert Shield. Scud missile broke a steam flange loose in the machine shop and didn't even hit the ship but was enough to cause the flex gasket to break free. I held him in my arms as he was dying and the steam replaced the oxygen in his lungs and he couldn't talk. Or scream. But his eyes could scream and as I peeled his coveralls from him and the skin came off with it. It is burnt into my mind even if I don't want it to be. There are a few others but that one hurts and haunts me the most. And wakes me up at night to this day. And night sometimes it blurs together. Tonight is one of those nights and I read your post hours ago. Not your fault. Mine.

Enough of that and it is a memory I try not to think of. At the same time today is exactly 45 years ago that I went to boot camp. Dec 7 who the hell goes active duty on Dec 7 in the Navy?! Someone that cares about Heritage. Country. History. Honor. If someone doesn't understand it can't explain it to them.

Same as moving to Mn. from NC. My father had just died of cancer and figured I wasn't smart enough to cure cancer but could help support those that could. Soon found out the world of research is ugly as sin as I am sure you are well aware. Lots of begging and politics. I ended up in the Patient Support shield which to me is more rewarding in the long run. I hate begging and the whole grant money and Federal regulations. Just get it done. Rules be damned. Real life doesn't work that way though. Can only bypass the system to a point that the extent of the law that allows it. And do NOT pass that point no matter how much you want to. Needs of the patient come first in practice, not research, which is why we are ranked #1. But is also frustrating at times if I could only...

More than a bit jealous of your move "Up North" and congratulations!

Have considered it myself, a lot. Listened to the ambulances run from Grand Marais to Duluth every night when I stayed at the Satellite Inn on the border of Lake and Cook. Helped Marilyn with the books before she passed away. And helped her husband who was on dialysis until the end. Ended up on the Gunflint with Lauana and Carl eventually. Lauana taught Donnie who was Marilyn's son and now runs the well pumping business down at what used to be the Satellite. An hour and a half away but that is SNF. Larger than most realize.

The original homestead at Schoder they sailed out of Duluth and went North and landed at what is now the Lake\County border. Grandpa built the house out of the remains of the boat.

Get up the Gunflint Trail with Carl and Launa and it gets even more interesting. I have standing reservations for the 6th year in a row running now. After I hunt the Sunset Country in Canada the week before. Hopefully my custom ordered Iside through FAIR will be in by then.

Double triggers suck come Mid October just saying. But work as a single shot.

Some years are better than others. By 1330 you might be done considering the right conditions with one dog and 2 people.

And the tip of the Arrowhead is not the best in Mn. for grouse hunting by any stretch of the imagination. This year was a perfect storm coming together. Having the right dog and knowledge goes a long ways though. Pup just turned 2 his father is 8. Breed him with a breeder in Duluth a month ago and he texted me last night that ultrasound shows 6-8 pups.

Stud muffin has been around the block a time or 3 and gets more action than me LOL.

His girlfriend and successful breeding this Spring with one of the top breeders of Tollers in the US in Wi. Sue was featured in 2014 Gundog Mag.

He really doesn't care what he is hunting as long as he has feathers in his mouth.

His offspring apparently doesn't either. Watching the breed carry the instincts and natural abilities to generation after generation is the greatest joy I think that I get out of life after watching it for more than 30 years. And contributing to it.

I am blessed.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

There goes the neighborhood....

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Superior being the largest, deepest, and coldest freshwater lake in the world it is pretty sterile and the steelies are relatively small.

Point of correction ............ Superior is the largest, in area, freshwater lake in the world but it is by far not the deepest. There are many deeper. Lake Baikal surpasses them all in that regard, at 5,387' depth. Superior is recorded to be "only" 1333'. That's like the difference between a quarter mile and a mile.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Stan, for mentioning one of our Great Lakes. To my knowledge, Torch Lake in our Lower Peninsulae is the deepest next to Superior- measured 381 feet at the narrows in the Northern sector-- I went to a WMCA summer camp on Torch Lake in the 1950's. Beautiful indeed, year orund. RWTF..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats to you and the wife!

I don't agree with you on several posts on another website about wolves, along with other things related to it. But after you posted on that site and understood the dog wolf encounter at Isabella I realised you may understand it better than I thought. It is complicated. And was surprised that you are originally from the SNF IIRC. I have too many wolf encounters to get into a pissing contest with someone about it and had one near Isabella when the other person had one as well.

Before we went into Desert Shield JAG came on board and if you were married had to do a Will. It was an eye opener, Chit is getting real, before that I was invincible. Would not made it where I did if I didn't think that.

In Nuclear Power School in the 70's which was my start I went to Daytona Beach one weekend and met 2 girls from Tn. and spent the week with them until we all ran out of money. Went to Captain's Mast for it and the Captain said I was unreliable. An officer that was there from Wi. representing me that at the time and didn't know me personally said Skipper I think there are 2 young ladies from Tn. that would disagree with that statement about being unreliable. I was busted although Steve went on to be what he was deserving of him, 2 Star Upper half Admiral. I think he may be German?

I led my men into battle without much issue. Except for a good friend from Alaska that we fished the chalk streams in England before Desert Shield. Scud missile broke a steam flange loose in the machine shop and didn't even hit the ship but was enough to cause the flex gasket to break free. I held him in my arms as he was dying and the steam replaced the oxygen in his lungs and he couldn't talk. Or scream. But his eyes could scream and as I peeled his coveralls from him and the skin came off with it. It is burnt into my mind even if I don't want it to be. There are a few others but that one hurts and haunts me the most. And wakes me up at night to this day. And night sometimes it blurs together. Tonight is one of those nights and I read your post hours ago. Not your fault. Mine.

Enough of that and it is a memory I try not to think of. At the same time today is exactly 45 years ago that I went to boot camp. Dec 7 who the hell goes active duty on Dec 7 in the Navy?! Someone that cares about Heritage. Country. History. Honor. If someone doesn't understand it can't explain it to them.

Same as moving to Mn. from NC. My father had just died of cancer and figured I wasn't smart enough to cure cancer but could help support those that could. Soon found out the world of research is ugly as sin as I am sure you are well aware. Lots of begging and politics. I ended up in the Patient Support shield which to me is more rewarding in the long run. I hate begging and the whole grant money and Federal regulations. Just get it done. Rules be damned. Real life doesn't work that way though. Can only bypass the system to a point that the extent of the law that allows it. And do NOT pass that point no matter how much you want to. Needs of the patient come first in practice, not research, which is why we are ranked #1. But is also frustrating at times if I could only...

More than a bit jealous of your move "Up North" and congratulations!

Have considered it myself, a lot. Listened to the ambulances run from Grand Marais to Duluth every night when I stayed at the Satellite Inn on the border of Lake and Cook. Helped Marilyn with the books before she passed away. And helped her husband who was on dialysis until the end. Ended up on the Gunflint with Lauana and Carl eventually. Lauana taught Donnie who was Marilyn's son and now runs the well pumping business down at what used to be the Satellite. An hour and a half away but that is SNF. Larger than most realize.

The original homestead at Schoder they sailed out of Duluth and went North and landed at what is now the Lake\County border. Grandpa built the house out of the remains of the boat.

Get up the Gunflint Trail with Carl and Launa and it gets even more interesting. I have standing reservations for the 6th year in a row running now. After I hunt the Sunset Country in Canada the week before. Hopefully my custom ordered Iside through FAIR will be in by then.

Double triggers suck come Mid October just saying. But work as a single shot.

Some years are better than others. By 1330 you might be done considering the right conditions with one dog and 2 people.

And the tip of the Arrowhead is not the best in Mn. for grouse hunting by any stretch of the imagination. This year was a perfect storm coming together. Having the right dog and knowledge goes a long ways though. Pup just turned 2 his father is 8. Breed him with a breeder in Duluth a month ago and he texted me last night that ultrasound shows 6-8 pups.

Stud muffin has been around the block a time or 3 and gets more action than me LOL.

His girlfriend and successful breeding this Spring with one of the top breeders of Tollers in the US in Wi. Sue was featured in 2014 Gundog Mag.

He really doesn't care what he is hunting as long as he has feathers in his mouth.

His offspring apparently doesn't either. Watching the breed carry the instincts and natural abilities to generation after generation is the greatest joy I think that I get out of life after watching it for more than 30 years. And contributing to it.

I am blessed.

There is a lot of life in that post, Cold Iron.

Those dogs look pretty passionate. I've never seen a toller in real life. Someday maybe. I'm pretty sure they are quite a bit different than anything I'm familiar with. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on my next pup. It's coming faster than the new house/barn/shop is. I think we have one more big pheasant season here.

Take care.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where in N Maine were you thinking? Vince

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not sure yet really. Somewhere within reach of this...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/11/22 04:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the comments on that video, sounds like they're North of Millinocket which I haven't explored yet. However, Kingfield is a neat town on the way to Eustis/Sugarloaf Mtn and Skowhegan is a decent-sized town along the way to Jackman. Eustis/Jackman are both situated well into logging country and have plenty of birds. From my research Traverse City has a lot going on, way more than Kingfield or Skowhegan, for what it's worth. I'm in Union, ME and it's nice here too.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.