April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wild Skies, rocky mtn bill, J.B.Patton, SKB), 192 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,712
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Once upon a time I had a Savage 23-D in .22 Hornet. The pre-war W.J. Jeffrey catalogue used to offer them stating that for a few Pounds they could refine the woodwork to make an more attractive rifle,

I think mine must have been one of those they reworked as the stock had been slimmed down and chequered at hand and forend with a horn tip.The stamped trigger guard had been replaced with an engraved English guard and there was a grip cap.

What puzzled me (it was clearly the original stock and butt plate) was the highly figured wood. Then when I looked at the heel where the finish had worn off I realised that the grain figure had been painted in.

The .22 Hornet, .32/20 and .310 Cadet all seem “to punch above their weight”. No doubt the combination of accurate rifles and mild recoil leading to good bullet placement.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
In the "crowd" I run with, Ross Seyfried's advice is considered to be the "Gold Standard" and he is correct about the 300 Sherwood; but the 310 is much more available to we peons.
Mike
In this article, he ended with the fact that his dream Martini would be a 300 Sherwood with serious open sights for long range shooting, but the barrel/chamber would be hard to source. He stated, however, that he did want to build one more ultimate Martini and his intent at the time was to make it a .298 since the bullet was for a barrel he could buy and the case was for all practical purposes a 300 Sherwood. That way it would be a custom rifle and not a semi-wildcat. The loads and ballistics he presented did seem to be a step up from the rest of these rounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AGS,
From memory, I think the 300 Sherwood takes a .300" bullet, I wonder if he considered a barrel from a 7.35x 52 Carcano rifle.
Mike

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I gathered his intent was to build a high end full custom rigfle with a lengthy barrel for long range shooting. I doubt a used barrel fell within his project ideas.

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have no doubt that Jeffrey's could improve on the handling and looks of most Savage centerfire bolt actions of the mid-20th century! Especially the 3-- series from the 322 to the 340, which are notably clunky looking. But couldn't BSA or somebody else come up with a medium power bolt repeater of "English Make"? I suspect your Jeffrey's 23 Hornet may be a very rare bird!

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have no doubt that Jeffrey's could improve on the handling and looks of most Savage centerfire bolt actions of the mid-20th century! Especially the 3-- series from the 322 to the 340, which are notably clunky looking. But couldn't BSA or somebody else come up with a medium power bolt repeater of "English Make"? I suspect your Jeffrey's 23 Hornet may be a very rare bird!

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

They did indeed, and introduced In about 1951 the BSA Hunter, a controlled feed short Mauser type action with integral scope mounts.

Prior to that Parker-Hale built Hornet rifles, some with a flush mounted scope just in front of the action, as well as ParkerRifling other rifles to Hornet using a 1/2” instead of the usual 3/8” O D tube.

The reason I no longer have the 23-D is that I felt I didn’t need 2 Hornets, and kept my Hunter instead. The one I should have hung on to was a cased ParkerRifled Holland and Holland hammerless Rook Rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AGS,
I guess whether a used barrel fit into his "project ideas" would depend on whether he wanted a .300 Sherwood or not.
Mike

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll try and look up the article and post the source. I believe his final decision was made because he could use a more common barrel and components and still use an actual period cartridge which is essentially the functional equivalent of the Sherwood, which was the best in class of these cartridges as far as performance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.