Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think most of these examples are post 1950?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two streams of commentary:

-- Rariddell's question about his SxS "Solyd" which FAB has identified for us as a post 1945 gun. I would like to see the barrel flats and the inscriptions on the lower barrels for historical knowledge.

--Versailles' posting of his barrel flats with blurred photos of some of the inscriptions. The (8) "G" (seen on other guns) and the "Crown V" stamps are interesting along with "Helios" on the lever." I'd like to see more information about this gun, better photos too...because for the moment, can't identify the maker or the artisanal maker. Fanget may be the barrel maker but the photo is blurred.

Gene

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 #626100 02/13/23 11:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
Two streams of commentary:

-- Rariddell's question about his SxS "Solyd" which FAB has identified for us as a post 1945 gun. I would like to see the barrel flats and the inscriptions on the lower barrels for historical knowledge.

--Versailles' posting of his barrel flats with blurred photos of some of the inscriptions. The (8) "G" (seen on other guns) and the "Crown V" stamps are interesting along with "Helios" on the lever." I'd like to see more information about this gun, better photos too...because for the moment, can't identify the maker or the artisanal maker. Fanget may be the barrel maker but the photo is blurred.

Gene

It does say Canon Fanget. On the opposite side of that is markings but not legible. I may can get better pic, but of what?

Last edited by battle; 02/13/23 11:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like to see a better quality photo of the crown V. I'm hoping FAB500 can help with that:

There is usually a stamp here which says "Choke Rectifie"....sometimes it will have a name with it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Are there any serial numbers?

Also on some better quality guns there will be the name of the retailer on the bottom of the action:

Last edited by Argo44; 02/13/23 11:52 PM.

ellenbr #626111 02/14/23 07:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[quote=ellenbr]I think most of these examples are post 1950?

Serbus,

Definitely post 1945

I’ll get some really good pics once the gun arrives.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those interested in Verney-Carron shotguns, or other French shotguns that feature the Helice system: An excellent copy of the 1922 V-C catalog is available from Cornell Publications. Over 100 pages long . . . although you do need to be a Francophone to get the most out of it.

The catalog includes a full page endorsement from Captain Rene Fonck, French ace of aces in WWI (75 kills), and surviving ace of aces of all nations from that conflict. Over a photo of Fonck, he has written: "I am very pleased with your Verney-Carron Helice Grip shotgun. The birds fall like Krauts!" The equivalent in the US would have been if Winchester had an ad with Sergeant York endorsing one of their rifles.

Of more interest from a technical standpoint: Opposite the full page Fonck ad is a really good drawing of the Helice system. "Helice Grip" is one of the names that V-C did trademark.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It’s actually way lighter than I thought. Catalog suggest 5.9 pounds but that seems a little crazy. Here are some barrel marks
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chambered for 2 3/4". Not sure the meaning of "L'epervier" as a gun term. ('L'epervier" appears on a number of nautrabuy.fr guns. Several posters claims it is a model of a Fanget barrel.
Cette canonerie portait le sigle "épervier " qui est le modêle et la marque déposée de la maison FANGET Canons en 1950 .

The name Pierre Dechelle has appeared here before:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=497422&page=5

Here is what I wrote at that time:

Pierre Dechelle. There are several guns with barrels with his name from the late 40's-60's on www.naturabuy.fr. Can't find a lot of history. There is some backing and forthing on Passionlachasse.com with mention of his name. Here is a little clip from an article I can't get total access to:

Rough translation: in the 40's the Barrel maker Jean Breuil took on the services of a well known barrel maker Francois Deschelles, who had begun with the Manufacture National d'Armes. In 1946 Deschelles took over the barrel maker at Rue des Francs-Macons in Saint Etienne. With his partner Paul Terrier he developed the honing of barrels in 1951 and adopted the stamp Pierre Dechelle and not Deschelle, which creates confusion.

Paul Terrier apparently in the 1970's opened a gun repair shop in Saint Etienne (same shop referred to on passionlachass.fr..).
www.canonnerie-stephanoise.fr/

Here is a Fanget barrel with "Pierrage Dechelle".
https://www.chassepassion.net/forums-chasse/topic/information-sur-un-fusil-de-famille/
According to Passion La chaise poster, "Le Pierrage" was the internal finishing of the barrel. The fact that the name of the finisher was placed on the gun was an indication of the quality of the work. (edit: word turned out to already be in our Fr-Eng, Eng-Fr dictionary).

So it looks like you know what firm made the gun, what company made the barrels and the model, and who reamed and honed the barrels. That seems a pretty complete history.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/21/23 08:03 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That’s actually really cool. I’m actually really impressed with this French made double. It’s simple but nicely made and very lightweight.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess the last bit would be the three marks on the flats
images hosting

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.