March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ian Forrester), 657 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

damascus,
You can't be wrong, if it is your gun, it is your choice. Whoever gets it after you might complain, but as long as it is yours it is your choice. The wide slot illustrates my suggestion to put a "shim" in the damaged screw's slot and pein the damaged metal back against it. If the damage is just filed out, the result is a wide slot. BTY, the screw you see as a wart, looks fine to me.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few times I have filed the damaged slot wide and tightly dovetailed and soldered a piece of drill rod in the slot. Then recut the slot and touched up the engraving. If tightly fitted on top it's invisible but you must leave a little room at the bottom for the solder.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I welded up a few badly buggered screws when all I had for a lathe was my little Unimat, and couldn't make a screw. The hardest part for me was not burning away the edge with the MIG arc. I found it best to insert the screw into a small steel flat washer that had a hole a wee bit smaller than the head diameter, and then weld all around and into the center over the damaged slot. Then the washer and excess weld was turned off in my Unimat after rough grinding, and the slot cut with a jewelers saw, and finished with a slim needle file. While welding, I clamped the threads in copper to protect them, and coated them with some anti-scale compound. Jobs like that became easier when I learned to TIG weld.

I've read about Kutter's method of removing the damaged screw top, and silver soldering a piece on to create a new head and slot. It sounds as if it would be quicker and easier than welding.

For most of the domestic guns I bought that had badly damaged screws, it saved a lot of time and money to just buy a replacement screw from a firearms parts dealer like Numrich, or the parts guys at gun shows. I've laid in a pretty good supply of various size oval head wood screws for guns for things like forends, trigger guards, and buttplates, which were bought very reasonably at gun shows. For common field grade guns, having the screw slot a bit out of time was much better than looking at the buggered screw, and often, it wasn't even necessary to blue it. Peening the damage back into place works well for screws with minor damage, but bluing afterward will always be necessary. The labor cost of having a gunsmith repair or make a new screw just might not make good economic sense for a lot of lower grade guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have saved original screws by thinning a small piece of sheet steel to fit snug in the slot then driving a small chisel straight down into the head close to the damaged area which moved steel up against the sheet steel. Then I inlayed mild steel wire into the cavity created by the chisel and dressed it down to original shape. Not for smaller screw heads for sure. But I have found it to work nicely on larger screws.

Last edited by SamW; 03/24/23 08:19 AM.

Sam Welch
1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've done a few with our laser welder. Luckily the welded material doesnt get very hard making it relatively easy to re-cut the drive slot

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.