May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Robertovich, Perry M. Kissam, Marks_21, Chad Linder, 1 invisible), 651 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,545
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From my limited experience shooting geese you always shoot for the neck/head area. That's how I learned most of them are poor eating.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve shot ducks crossing the river going to roost behind my house. But…...my place sits on a high bluff and the ducks lose altitude right at my shooting position! So I guess I’m cheating in that respect. My Union Armeras 215 works pretty good for that.👍

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
No interest in shooting geese here. With the exception of specks they're pretty much poor victuals anyway, IMO. For me, this is about ducks flying over the river from GA to SC, to roost. High ducks. Old waterfowlers didn't practice in gravel pits, with aerial towers. But, they killed ducks anyway.
Greylag and Pinkfoot can both taste excellent provided you avoid the older birds.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Konor3inch
Greylag and Pinkfoot can both taste excellent provided you avoid the older birds.

I will duly note that, my Scottish friend.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A goose, which has been feeding on some fine GA. corn, ought to be good eating. A bird is only as good as what it is eating. One year we had a large number of Brant where I hunted. I quickly learned that if they came from the south east that they were fair table fair, but if they came from the north east that they would be inedible due to getting into a under water plant which locals called sea-skunk-cabbage. If it got on your hands it would take days for the stink to fade. If eaten by the Brant, nothing would make them fit to eat.

I know the real reason you have this long range artillery piece, you have decided that 100 yard Dove are going to never escape your fields. Long range Ducks are only practice for even longer range Dove. Good hunting and better fun.

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They went to a surprising amount of trouble to duplicate the false pins and tumbler axis on the right hand lock plate.

My Stoeger catalog, marked No. 52, includes the same ad as Parabola's--minus the Nov57 date reference. Unfortunately, my book lost its cover somewhere along the line, so I'm not sure when mine was published. (If someone has a Stoeger catalog #52 with a cover, perhaps they can help me out.) For some reason and at some point, I guesstimated mine to date from either 1960 or 61. Same $125 price on the Honker.

Spanish guns in general sold for relatively low prices in the States back then. But Victor Sarasqueta guns had a pretty good reputation. His firm made true "bests" which were not imported by Stoeger. But my experience with a couple less expensive models that were Stoeger imports were positive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are right, No. 52 is the 1961 Edition

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple of 8 bores for geese but can only really use them in Scotland where inland goose flighting can still be legally done with lead (but not for much longer). Both have damascus barrels so steel is a no go and bismuth a very expensive option. I bought a single H & R 10 bore so as I can use steel here in England. Quite like it. Also have a Winchester SX4 that comes in handy. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan FWIW here- I've been shooting Drake Mallards and Canadas here in Central MI in a 60 day Fall season- mostly pass shooting, some over decoys. I agree 100%, what makes a Goose good table fare is, like in any other wild game, the preparation. With the geese and mallards, I normally filet out the breasts, then marinade them for 24 to 48 hours in buttermilk, pat dry, double wrap in Reynolds wrap foil, with strips of heavy bacon and sliced onions, and cook them on the charcoal grill-birds set in foil on the wire rack, turned every 10-12 minutes. Years ago I would pluck geese, and Mae would roast them like she does a Turkey, but you stuff the cavity with wet sauerkraut. The secret I have learned about testing for doneness is-take your sharp carving knife and make a slice in the thickest part of the chest, if the blood just clings to the blade and doesn't drip-the bird is done. Let it stand on the carving board with a blanket of the aluminum foil for another 10 minutes or so, then untent the bird and spoon out all the sauerkraut- that acts as a "blotter" and absorbs all the grease and fat from the heat of cooking. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those "escopetas hechan in Espana" were also favorites of the late Ernest Hemingway. I ordered one as a gift for his Idaho rancher pal, Bud Purdy, although Bud usually shot ducks and pheasants with his 12 gauge Ithaca M37.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.