May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, R. Glenz, Roundsworth), 279 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#629220 04/25/23 12:57 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I took my newly purchased vintage English 12 gauge to a gunsmith, who advertises specializing in shotguns. When I explained that I wanted to have my gun checked for safety, his response was “don’t shoot it, it has Damascus barrels.” He said that without touching the barrels from about 6 feet across the room, and my barrels have no Damascus pattern, and in fact I do not believe are Damascus. Now, the shop owner was a fine fellow, and will probably do some work on my rifles, but it seems to me as if he may be out of his depth on vintage double shotguns.
I have since made an appointment with another shop, and when asking about their safety inspection they shared with me that they do not measure wall thickness, and typically recommended lighter loads for older shotguns.

Everyone on this board recommends having your firearm examined by a competent gunsmith. What do you do when the gunsmiths aren’t providing the appropriately detailed service?

Sidelock
Sidelock

With very few exceptions, most of us don't live near competent doublegun smiths. So, you have to ship the gun to where they live which I know is not fun (in light of the new restrictions at UPS and FEDEX requiring FFLs although not required by federal law) which entails shipping costs and the possibility of damage or loss. At least you can still ship through the Post Office for long guns.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

a few gunsmiths here, masqurading under sue doe nyms...

reveal your location here an one in your area might contact you via pm...

meantime, tell more about your new gon...

Last edited by ed good; 04/25/23 01:24 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just not their cup of tea as you might say. Lots of gunsmiths out there that are more general gunsmiths and not specialized. Also, lots of folks calling themselves gunsmiths and would be better off calling themselves shoe cobblers.

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, dogon
Sidelock
Sidelock

The simple answer is find another gunsmith.

Looking at the pictures that you provided, it would appear your barrels are Damascus and not of a super fine nature. Medium grade.

That simplifies things for you, because nationally there are far fewer Smiths that are very knowledgeable about Damascus barrels than general smiths.
And they are also typically very knowledgeable about the actions attached to them.

So, just use the search function, find the names of some recommended competent double Smith’s, their phone numbers will be there.
they get listed in every thread of that type, and then decide who you want to use.

There are probably about 10 reliable guys, well spread out.

Out there doing it best I can.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Clapper, I am not disagreeing with you, because I don’t know enough to disagree. I’m here to learn, and you’ve given me a new piece of information I am trying to understand. So that said, help me understand the statement:
“Looking at the pictures that you provided, it would appear your barrels are Damascus and not of a super fine nature. Medium grade.”

How can you tell, what is it that you see that says Damascus steel? I don’t see a pattern to the steel as I do in others’ pictures of their Damascus guns, so what else should I be looking for? Is there a definitive way to determine why steel the barrels are?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ploughjogger,
I am dictating while doing something, but the texture of the barrels looks like a crolle’ pattern to me.
Perhaps I am wrong.

You don’t list your location, so it’s impossible to recommend a nearby Smith that you could have examine your gun.

There are East Coast guys north guys south guys Midwestern guys mountain state guys West Coast guys Southwest guys that all are good dependable craftsman. You’ll have no trouble at all finding one that will render an opinion on your shotgun in person.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the best that I could do trying to enhance your small image

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I agree there appears to be a crolle pattern that has been blued over.

You might remove the FE and put a dab of white vinegar on a soft cloth and rub a small area of the barrel. The 'scrolls' may become more visible.
Please let us know, or better yet post a full size close up of the area.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

https://i.imgur.com/j8QM3mZ.jpg

A couple more pictures in sunlight. I think folks are seeing contrast between the last of the bluing and bare metal in my other pictures, but again, I’m here to learn, so tell me what you guys think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given potential liability issues, there is a good chance even a qualified gunsmith is going to be careful about what he says when it comes to shooting antique guns. I recently dropped off two antique British hammer guns to be evaluated for modern low pressure ammo. I was told the barrel thickness of both guns and the final decision was left to me.

I certainly understand where the gunsmith was coming from and I can't blame a gunsmith for not wanting to open themselves up to being sued by saying "go ahead and shoot it".

Last edited by Chantry; 04/25/23 07:40 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.