April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Fudd, jake van dyke, ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Many have "For 2 inch case only" on the rib or barrel in gold or silver block letter (kinda unattractive actually).

Hmm, well this one does have that. Seems informational to me or perhaps traditional. Is there something on the action that identifies it as made by S&W?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

[
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Many have "For 2 inch case only" on the rib or barrel in gold or silver block letter (kinda unattractive actually).

Hmm, well this one does have that. Seems informational to me or perhaps traditional. Is there something on the action that identifies it as made by S&W?...Geo

Just pin locations and distinctive shape and size.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only non S&W guns that I have seen so far are a wryly a couple porky Purdeys and a brace of Hollands.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

_________

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In addition to the shape and pin locations, the Inscription regrading two inch cases seems to appear on guns made by S&W and those that were rebadged. My 2" 12 ga. by Charles Hellis is one such gun. Also the guns made by S&W often have the initials "JA" on a barrel just ahead of the flats. Joseph Asbury was a top barrel and action maker in the Birmingham trade who made most of the actions and barrels for S&W 2" 12 ga. between the wars according to this resource:
https://www.shotguns.se/html/uk_trademarks.html
Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Borderbill has done yeoman's work on loads for the 2" 12 ga. Now if I could find a source for Clays...Unfortunately Hodgdon has temporarily stopped production of Clays and has stated that it may restart next year. Internet searches for it have yielded "too good to be true" prices (scams) or old ads from defunct companies. If anyone has a reliable source, please pm me. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Perry: They might, but they're mostly for law enforcement so 00 buck would be the standard load. Good catch tho...
Federal has them in 00 buck AND 7.5 and 8. Bulldog Firearms in Rio Rancho New Mexico has a bunch of them in the bird shot.

The Aquila minishell is pretty high pressure. Federal minis are also hot. These shells aren’t made for vintage 2” gun but for self defense. See this thread Minishells

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen Clay Dot recently which is very close to Clays. I would load up a set and send them out for testing. I loaded Bullseye and Red Dot for mine. I sent all my data down the road when I sold my gun. I never found a factory shell which was not unpleasant to shoot in such a light gun but back then RST was not around. My go to hull was a cut down Federal Paper hull with a roll crimp. They were cute little fellows. From memory the Red Dot was 15.5 grains but I would have them tested. $25-40.00 for a test is very cheap indeed. Also Titewad and Extralite could be a starting point with a little load development.

The 2" was a neat gun but I could do the same with a 20 or 28 easier. If I were stomping around the woods carrying a 5 pound 12 might make sense but on the Skeet field or Dove field I went another direction. To each their own. Hope you enjoy your new gun Geo.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In speaking with a gunsmith who is also a fan of the 2" Twelve, he prefers it in the field over the 20 and 28 SXS because of arthritis in his carry hand. The size of the 12 is more comfortable in his hand rather than a smaller to grasp scaled 20 or 28 ga. I have had success loading the International 7/8 oz. load which is in the BP Short Hulls brochure. If anyone would like a copy, PM your email address and I'll respond with attachment. Gil

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Don’t forget the attempts by the Spaniards.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.