March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Allright, tried it again with just the name of the poster this time (Steve Nash). His article was titled "The Pinfire Game gun" and was dated 7/2/20. The search feature only went back to 2022 and filled 4 pages of search results with completely useless information.

It looks like Google is the only option for anything older than 2-years.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/30/23 01:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
It’s a funny thing, the simplicity of this site, which many lament, is also one of its charms.

My experience has been that every software upgrade loses more than it gains.

I tend to agree with CZ here. But really, there aren't all that many who "lament" the simplicity of this site. Actually, the laments come mostly from one whining crybaby who apparently is not as intelligent as he wants us to believe. He despises this website, yet returns every day for more self-abuse and torture. An army of shrinks couldn't fix him.

He whines about the difficulty of posting photos here. But it is so quick and easy that a small child could do it. Same with the search function. I never had a problem finding anything here that I was able to recall. In fact, it really bothered the crap out of some not so honest folks here that I was always able to easily QUOTE things they said in the past, and later denied. We had one now deceased Canadian Liberal here who was frequently able to deny his own words, even if I provided an unedited quote along with the date he made it, and the post number.

Lloyd, I don't know specifically what you may be searching for in that Pinfire Game Gun thread, but it appears that your difficulties might be due to the great length of the thread. While it was not as long as War and Peace or the fictional account of E.M. Reilly, it did go on for years. It seems a general search is limited to 200 results, so if you want something further back in time, you will have to use the Advanced Search option, and try an older date range.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have few problems finding what I want using the "Search" function. I have found that the more "narrow" my search terms the less debris I have to wade through. Often a specific word, or two, that was used in that post, works like a charm to bring it back. If you can narrow it way down it will often bring back posts from many years ago. You just have to work within the parameter of the 200.

It's very seldom that I do a search as broad as using someone's username. Occasionally I will, but I accept that I will be sifting through as many as 200 posts to find what I'm hunting for, and also that the post I'm trying to find may be well past the 200 number back, and won't show up. Being very specific is the key. But, that's the case in ANY search function. This site is no different in that regard, IMO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I search here, all the time. The one thing that is consistent is that I think an item will be 2-4 years into the past, and it is more like a decade.

Getting old, sucks.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If a "mea culpa" is needed here, then so be it. I'll try the advanced search next time. Another challenge that I may be running into up here is bandwidth in this far-north enclave I've been in for the last few days. It's been very spotty tonight, for sure.

It makes more sense to me that this was operator error on my part & I'll try harder next time.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/30/23 11:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It clearly worked for you Ed. Thank you for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

welcome...

trick is, not to expect it to happen in one fell swoop...

do keyword search, to find clues, which may lead to your goal...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
1 member likes this: ClapperZapper
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
It helps that this site gets so little traffic. Well managed websites with like HuntTalk, Shotgunworld, Upland Journal are all extremely easy to use, customize, and search for previous information even though they receive orders of magnitude greater volume and visitation. They all handle photos and other media much more easily as well, and track read and unread posts in ways that this place does not. But as long as doublegun continues to decline rather than grow, it can get by with archaic software. Sadly, it will disappear one day, and all that info with it. Notice that old photos are already lost in many instances, and some of those photos were really informative.
Why not get an ice cold six pack of vinegar and water, take a day or ten, and copy old posts? Just kidding, best ever thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to see the pinfire thread is still being looked at, Ed.

1 member likes this: Lloyd3
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.