April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, Hammergun, 3 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
20s are fine, if that's what you like, but hunting is more to me than killing a bird. The 2" 12 has added immensely to my hunting season, and we are yet 2 months out from opening day. What Wally stocks or doesn't stock means nothing to me.

“Immensely” you say. Exactly, how so? Sometimes, the easiest things, say, a 20 gauge over a 2” 12, are the best. I find less added kludge, not to mention less mental masturbation, along with Easter egg hunts for unobtainable kludge, far more rewarding.

Attempting to relearn to shoot, and undo 50 seasons of muscle memory has been hard enough, and cheap, good enough ammunition has been a blessing. Try shooting off your non shooting shoulder, and let us know how it goes for you. I have friends who gave it up for that reason, including a consulting doctor on my eye surgery. Four boxes of 20 gauge promo loads for $33 is a big help. Those same four boxes could occasionally be sniped for under $5 a box, two years ago, but, stuff changes, no?

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Becoming ambidextrous might be more in reach than we think. I had the left shoulder replaced a year ago. In two months I could clap hands overhead. In 5 I was totally finished with rehabilitation with full strength and flexibility.

But interesting phenomena was observed. I was doing 90 minutes of PT a day's in two 45 minute sessions on the left shoulder and back. It included a lot of work on the muscles supporting the shoulder blade and on the core including using resistance bands in a core twist exercise almost resembling a golf swing. I found last November that as a result, I suddenly could swing a left-handed golf club. I had worked for years at a young age perfecting a left handed jump shot and hook shot in basketball. Now looking back on it, physical therapy might have been more efficient.

Ted, I'm wondering if a really good physical therapist could give some exercises to reinforce your now required right-handedness?

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only thing that needs to be right handed is my shooting.

What I find most difficult are the mental errors I make when playing the game. I caught myself holding the gun left handed when my turn came up on the last round of skeet. Sometimes, I dutifully keep my left eye open, just like I did for fifty seasons, and suffer some momentary befuddlement looking down the side of the gun in my right hand. Very simple stuff that is hard to keep at the front lobe. The sight picture has changed from what it used to be, but, it is hard to describe. The vision between the two eyes is so dramatically different there is no way to keep both eyes open, but, I have been trying to keep the left eye open as I mount the gun.

The shooting, when I get my ducks in a row at the line, is actually progressing nicely. I have a few perfect rounds under my belt. I’ve watched trap shooters on the line who had a compulsive looking routine on every shot, who would miss if they did something out of sequence or skipped a step. It seemed weird to me at the time, but, it might help to block the mental fumbles I seem to suffer.

Thanks for the tip. I’m guessing it is a mental game that will be resolved through the old standby, practice, practice, practice. Overcoming 50 years of muscle memory ain’t for sissies.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
20s are fine, if that's what you like, but hunting is more to me than killing a bird. The 2" 12 has added immensely to my hunting season, and we are yet 2 months out from opening day. What Wally stocks or doesn't stock means nothing to me.

“Immensely” you say. Exactly, how so? Sometimes, the easiest things, say, a 20 gauge over a 2” 12, are the best. I find less added kludge, not to mention less mental masturbation, along with Easter egg hunts for unobtainable kludge, far more rewarding.

Attempting to relearn to shoot, and undo 50 seasons of muscle memory has been hard enough, and cheap, good enough ammunition has been a blessing. Try shooting off your non shooting shoulder, and let us know how it goes for you. I have friends who gave it up for that reason, including a consulting doctor on my eye surgery. Four boxes of 20 gauge promo loads for $33 is a big help. Those same four boxes could occasionally be sniped for under $5 a box, two years ago, but, stuff changes, no?

Best,
Ted

Ted,

My immense enjoyment in learning about, accruing kaccumulating?), and developing loads for a 2x12 has really nothing to do with learning shoot off the weak side which is on your agenda, but not mine.

So, let's see, what have I enjoyed immensely?
I spent 6 months surfing auctions and dealer websites looking at countless non 2x12s that I would never have enjoyed while tracking down most, if not all, of the 2x12 that have been for sale in the last 6-12 months.

Then, I have enjoyed learning about the history of 2x12s and the diversity (and lack of diversity, which is pretty cool since, in effect, very few people made the 2x12 happen).

Now, I'm wrestling with learning to load where few recipes exist, and I have to figure out my own strategies with the materials I have on hand. I enjoy the challenge, but most of all I enjoy collaborating with several others on this website and other sites who are also experimenting. Interacting with these people has been an immensely enjoyable experience all of its own.

Maybe last, though intangibles are hard to identify so I might be overlooking something, is anticipating opening my hunting season in Minnesota or Michigan and straifing grouse out of the trees and sky with a new and very different gun that i have tuned to the job at hand. Who buys a new gun and doesn't imagine that!?!? Reality, of course, may be much different, but not less enjoyable.

In any event, now I own two 2x12s (soon to be one). I think they are probably the finest two 2x12s to be sold in the last 6 months outside if the 5-figure Purdeys and H&Hs. They are lovely guns, quicker than lightning, and just a whole new dimension to shooting after decades of 6.5-7.5# guns. I could have bought a 20, probably for more money, but anyone could do that. Hell, I could just hunt with my old 870 express. But I don't.

In the end, I am having a grand time that I would not be having without chasing the mythical unicorn that is the 2x12.

Good luck with chasing your own unicorns, whatever they may be. I hope that you will be successful and become less of a sourpus as a result.

Cheers! smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sourpuss?

Clearly, you didn't know Klunk, or Don Moody.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The eponymous Don "Cowboy" Moody. Rest his soul. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sourpuss?

Best,
Ted
I wouldn't think you'd want to take that as a bragging point, but carry on.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sourpuss?

Best,
Ted
I wouldn't think you'd want to take that as a bragging point, but carry on.

Much the way I feel about reinventing the 12 gauge wheel, at least an aspect of it that ended up in histories dustbin.

Bring plenty of ammunition along. Or, a 20 gauge.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
The eponymous Don "Cowboy" Moody. Rest his soul. Gil

Both of them, actually.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

My friend is going through the same thing as Moody did.
It’s just a horror.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.