May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,661
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking that the picker killed fewer mature birds than the combine. What about nest destruction? I don't have an opinion, just know that when combines came to southern PA, the pheasants disappeared.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I think corn pickers left more corn on the ground than combines. I can easily remember seeing ears on the ground with part of the kernels eaten off. In the 40s we used to patrol the picked corn fields with horses and a wagon, picking up the missed ears off of the ground.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 08/08/23 09:17 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
I was thinking that the picker killed fewer mature birds than the combine. What about nest destruction? I don't have an opinion, just know that when combines came to southern PA, the pheasants disappeared.

I don't think there would be any difference in that regard, Bill. I've never seen a quail nest in a corn field anyway. We don't start combining until about the end of August/early September and nesting is about done by then. Bush hogging is different. It potentially destroys lots of nests.

We lose plenty enough corn behind a combine for game birds. If you can keep your harvest losses to 2% you're doing good. Two percent of 200 bushels is two bushels of corn per acre. Good for dove shoots!

I would think the "disappearance" of pheasants coinciding with the appearance of corn combines would be a coincidence. Not knowing much about pheasants tho', that is just conjecture.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

grew up in the fifties, huntin quail in florida...

back then, dint need no dog...

my trusty stevens 94 410 wid cut off barrel, did the job...

but hit shore would have been nice to have had ah doublegon...

all one had to do to kill ah mess o quail was to walk the rows in an orange grove about sun down an watch fur these little birds to begin to form their covies for their evening dusting and socializations...

now, lot of the groves are gone and the land repurposed for retirement home developments and is some cases with entire new towns created, with their own post offices an such...

meantime, while the retirees were movin in, so were the others predators...

like the coyotes movin east...

more hawks an owls than ever before...

more kittens gone feral...

and then, there are the turkeys...

only quail left now in much of the country east of the mississippi are stocked birds put out for well to do bird shooters...

Last edited by ed good; 08/08/23 01:30 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

den, an den...

in 1960, ah wuz kidnapped by yankee gypsies and taken north...

an of all places, wound up on the edge of the northern suberbs of, would you believe...

new york city...

dint do no bird huntin for about five years or so...

den ah was invited to go "grouse huntin" by ah co worker of italian/irish heritage...dis bein new york an awl...

anyway, he had dis nice little 20 gauge doublegon, by one antonio zoli...

an ah 20 gauge ithaca pump gon, which he graciously let me shoot...

to be continyaed..unless otherwise discouraged...

Last edited by ed good; 08/08/23 01:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good

How do we go about effectively discouraging you? Inquiring minds want to know.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good

How do we go about effectively discouraging you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Stan, it's pretty hard to effectively discourage someone who has the maturity level of a 6 year old. Or is it a 5 year old?

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

stan, dont have an answer to that one...

to become discouraged is to fail...

i dont like failure...

is there some hidden psyco logic cal reason you dont wanna hear about my grouse an pheasant huntin experiences in ny an pa in the late 20th century...ah mean that was real bird huntin an not yo sitin on yo can shootin at sum innocent song bird as it innocently flys by...

Last edited by ed good; 08/09/23 08:52 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

gee fly...dont know you...dont know of you...have no idea who or what you are...

but, what you have shown us is that you belong to the same cheap shot club as stan...

an that you have limited appreciation of creative writing...ah mean, it aint easy diggin all these memories up an then presenting them in a somewhat cohesive, entertaining and infotmative manner...

ah jes may not bother no mo...

less there is a little encouragement exhibited here...

member, yall dint go fur the owl chonicles, so ah discontinued dim here...ah can do dat agin, if yall aint nice...

Last edited by ed good; 08/09/23 09:02 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore

I can't imagine a mature pheasant just sitting without flushing or running as either a corn picker or a combine ran over it. And while I have chopped up a few baby rabbits while brush-hogging, more mature animals or birds take off well before the tractor gets too near. But my Uncle did deftly swoop down and grab a ringneck pheasant by the neck as it sat tight on a cold rainy day when I was in my teens. A quick twist, and it was in his game pouch without firing a shot. According to my Dad, he also did that on several occasions with rabbits. He said the secret was to just keep walking without breaking stride when you saw one sitting, and quickly grab it without making eye contact. I never managed to do it before they flushed.

In Northern Pennsylvania, the native ringneck pheasant population crashed very quickly after the Game Commission decided to permit harvesting hens north of Interstate 80. Purely a stupid decision that they were too obstinate to admit was a serious mistake. Imagine trained wildlife biologists unable to figure out that killing off the mommy birds would drastically reduce the number of baby birds. That was a huge factor in my opinion, but clean farming techniques also reduced cover and the real nail in the coffin was the introduction of the Eastern coyote and protection of hawks. Native birds are all but extinct in most of the state now. A very small number of stocked birds survive to breed before predators get them. Attempts to replace ringnecks with Sichaun Pheasants, without correcting other factors, failed miserably too. We have also had a severe decline in ruffed grouse numbers, and nobody is using herbicides or combines in the grouse habitat. One expert here claims that predators actually increase game bird numbers. Here's a photo of a coyote attempting to protect a pheasant from freezing to death!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.