May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (RRTeddy, 67galaxie, CJF, Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 208 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,545
Posts546,123
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

The truth tends to set us free, IF acted upon.
In the state next to Stan, we have had four (4) sheriffs indicted by Federal Grand Juries
in the last 8 years. All in contiguous counties. Drugs and corruption.

As a retired Federal agent, my experienced eyes see it: the current crime trend in our larger cities is caused by poor corrupt leadership, as
are the nation's current ills being directly attributed to a corrupt lack of integrity.

"If good men are not involved in the political process, they
will be governed by evil men" - PLATO

NRA-Life
Vietnam combat veteran-71-72 5th SFG (ABN) MACVSOG

Last edited by 1916XE; 11/12/23 04:48 PM.
6 members like this: Geo. Newbern, craigd, Stanton Hillis, eeb, Hoot4570, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn. We used to correspond quite often but have not lately. Several years back when it looked like my two daughters might get stranded at the Detroit airport over Thanksgiving weekend when returning from SE Asia, I checked to see if he would take them in and he agreed. ( That speaks volumes about my trust in him and his reply like a true friend) So sad in so many ways.Still have his wife’s baked bean recipe, Martha I recall. I will try to reach out. His dogs must have aged as well. Two thugs should not have been an issue in their prime. Lost many friends from this board through the decades but this is so senseless.I wish him PEACE.

Last edited by Tyler; 11/12/23 11:09 PM. Reason: Big fingers, bad eyes.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Nitrah
Sorry to hear about John, I remember the name . I appreciate you don't want the thread hijacked but if we don't recognize and consider the changes in our society, well as the saying goes, all that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing to stop it. If we think because we live in the country or suburbs we are immune to the rising crime in the cities we are wrong. When evil goes unchecked it spreads.
The line between good and evil has been blurred, if we build it, they will come.

1 member likes this: 1916XE
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Glad I don't live in a place like that, Ted, but things are not perfect here either. Several years ago our good ol' boy sheriff finally decided to retire from the office which he had held for 36 years. Our county elected it's first black sheriff, much to the surprise of many. I supported him 100%, including with my dollars. The drug culture I mentioned was rampant toward the end of the old sheriff's last term. When campaigning the black sheriff (to-be) made a vow to reduce overall crime by 50% in his first year of office. He was elected and made sweeping changes to the way the office of sheriff addressed crime. The last year the old sheriff was in office there were 12 murders in our rural, primarily agricultural, county. The first year of the new sheriff's term that dropped to 1. He busted the drug peddlers and pushers that had been given a pass for years and overall crime dropped like a lead balloon. He absolutely delivered on his campaign promise, and then some.

This sheriff is running for reelection right now and has a lot of support, but the old former sheriff, many believe, is pushing all kinds of efforts to have him unseated, IMO because he sees his own "legacy" as being soiled by the ongoing efforts, successes and support of our "new black sheriff". It's a shame we cannot put to death the old southern stereotype sheriff image that still tries to put a stranglehold on honest law enforcement. Our black sheriff is a personal friend of mine, and I'm supporting him for reelection, with my voice, my prayers, and my dollars. Old established ways often die hard, and politics can be a dirty, dirty business.

Best of luck to your current sheriff in the election, Stan. It's always good news when a politician not only makes promises you support, but then follows up on them. We need to get good ones into office . . . and support them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I know it's not much protection, but don't go outside without a good handgun. Your situation is sometimes very dangerous. I live in the safest county in the country, but still got caught in three gunfights over the years, one with someone who forgot to bring his gun, and one that did bring his gun. A third gunfight was an armed robbery where I forgot to bring my gun, so obviously I lost that one. I am not a LEO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Stan, I know it's not much protection, but don't go outside without a good handgun. Your situation is sometimes very dangerous. I live in the safest county in the country, but still got caught in three gunfights over the years, one with someone who forgot to bring his gun, and one that did bring his gun. A third gunfight was an armed robbery where I forgot to bring my gun, so obviously I lost that one. I am not a LEO.

Sounds like a Johnny Cash song.

Just recently, was asked if I had my sidearm with me. I was in the very middle of nowhere, and, truly, considered it optional out there.

I was wrong.

But, nothing came of it. Good news. And, a reminder, it should be closer to my person, than it was, that day.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've carried sidearms in the past but stopped because of the added weight and inconvenience (big caliber). With all of the changes in the world of late, I would consider it again. A number of factors are at work there, of course. Now, I'm idly considering something like a .38 Airweight to be worn on my belt. Small, unobtrusive and light and yet...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/14/23 10:16 AM.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Carrying a sidearm is like wearing a seatbelt: you don’t need it until you need it so wear it all the time.

Last edited by eeb; 11/14/23 10:16 AM.
1 member likes this: Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
Carrying a sidearm is like wearing a seatbelt: you don’t need it until you need it so wear it all the time.

Sorta like a pith helmet or a shovel or...

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Best advice I got in carrying a gun is to never go into an area or neighborhood where where you wouldn't go without a gun. In other words, carrying the gun shouldn't embolden one to enter the neighborhood if one has a choice of not going. Gil

2 members like this: eeb, BrentD, Prof
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.