May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (ksauers1, 2 invisible), 759 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,680
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Best advice I got in carrying a gun is to never go into an area or neighborhood where where you wouldn't go without a gun. In other words, carrying the gun shouldn't embolden one to enter the neighborhood if one has a choice of not going. Gil

I look at 4 wheel drive in much the same way smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wholeheartedly agree with both Gil and Brent here. If you go in harm's way then...God help you. Having or not having a sidearm is the least of your problems. If you're even slightly-infirm or living fearfully, then the handgun is more than likely just a complication. But...if you are continually in lonely country then it becomes just another tool at your disposal. Life is so full of unknowns anymore, even in the rural and low-crime areas. If I do indeed get one, it will just become part of the "uniform" that I wear afield.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately harms way can be out your front door,I live pretty isolated the sheriff station is 45min away I have a concealed carry but I don't look for trouble I have it on me all the time if you don't want to carry a gun then don't

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

A nationwide survey reveals some startling facts about concealed carry laws:
The SE, inter-mountain West and upper New England are now the most liberal, where states like Vermont have virtually no gun laws. AL--FL have recently changed
state law to allow all adults over 21 to legally carry handguns concealed. The problem with blanket carry law is that people will carry firearms that should not
be allowed to carry- due to lack of training requirements or criminal records-under state law. That and the Tombstone, AZ. mentality of everyone carrying firearms, all the time....

The Western inter-mountain states seem to have less violence, according to FBI statistics, while large Eastern and Midwestern cities are plagued
with stranger to stranger, drug-related, or gang-related shootings. Any city within- or 200 miles from-Chicago- has inner city violence issues.

My studied LEO opinion in this day and age in the USA is that one does not need to be without a firearm when the music starts or stops. Large metropolitan areas, and their suburbs,
are being targeted by criminal elements. It is an individual decision as to whether you carry a Glock, S&W 38 SPL, 1911 or a Walther PPK.
The fact is that more people are carrying firearms, and feel it necessary.

Unfortunately, law enforcement officers tend to be reactive to violence, AFTER it has happened. It is the nature of police reporting protocol. That may well be too late, where an immediate response might save one's life.

Last edited by 1916XE; 11/14/23 12:18 PM.
2 members like this: ithaca1, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

I carry every day ,retired from law enforcement. Bobby

2 members like this: craigd, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 1916XE
....The problem with blanket carry law is that people will carry firearms that should not
be allowed to carry- due to lack of training requirements or criminal records-under state law. That and the Tombstone, AZ. mentality of everyone carrying firearms, all the time....

The Western inter-mountain states seem to have less violence, according to FBI statistics....
There are some parts of the country that start from the mindset that the majority of people are law abiding, and not that every hand gun is a crime waiting to happen. True, criminals are criminals, regardless.

In the area I do most of my hunting over the last fifteenish years, even if it is not so, it is a safe assuption that every person, vehicle and residence has a gun handy. There is even a sign on the local wallymart door that says, please refrain from open carry. There is zero brandish and wild west mentality. I've seen large bear a good way off, and mountain lion fairly close, but the pistol has never found it's way out. So far, it's just critters being critters, as well as the criminals generally keeping their losera$$es to themselves. But, demtown USA, no thanks.

Gun or no gun, there are places I will not go, as well as situations that I would not wander into. I find four wheel drive handy at times, and I'll leave the pith helmets to the fibbingprogressive.

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm of mixed opinion. I was great friends with a French photographer named Jean Guy Jules (passed away). He was with the Katanga white mercenaries when they abandoned their fiefdom E.Zaire (Congo) in 1967, tossed their weapons into the Zambezi River, exchanged passports - many wound up in Brussels. He was later for 2 years in Biafra. I met him in Pakistan - he visited in Brussels, DC, and Brazzaville. He never carried a gun. His smile and personality got him out of all sorts of difficulty.

I've carried a gun in Vietnam, Africa, Greece, Afghanistan; and unlike others I had 10 - 15 formal sessions 1 week at a time every 18 months over the last 30 years shooting maybe 3000 rounds through a Glock each time simulating combat conditions (jam - sweep, tap, rack etc.) so I pretty much can use the gun efficiently. It is a skill which is perishable.

The first question is "Can you deploy/draw your gun in an emergency?" Most couldn't find it let alone put off the safety (safety is not a problem with a Glock). And under stress most couldn't hit a target the size of a door at 8 feet with a handgun. (unless highly and continually trained - "you do not rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training.")

But I've never carried in the USA. Never will (except if I'm hiking in Alaska and that would be with a Remington 870 Marine Magnum with deep penetrating slug that I'm not even sure I could get off in the 3 seconds I have facing a grizzly charge). Really it's sort of like my Jeep. It's a stock Willys JL. No upgrades. If I can't climb what's in front of me with it, I don't need to be there.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/14/23 10:57 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
2 members like this: John Roberts, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve casually noticed the concealed carry folk in my part of the world are the same people who typically have a fire extinguisher in their personal vehicle. I’ve had the same Halon extinguisher in three vehicles now, went to Halon after I used a dri-chem to put a guys carbeque out along 35W, and realized I didn’t want that big a mess next time, or, to have to get that close and work that hard to get the fire out. Same 360PD Airweight for about the same number of vehicles.

Missing either, in a situation that requires them, handgun or fire extinguisher, just means something is going to burn. Might not be a big deal.

Then again, it might. You know, when you have only seconds, the police are just minutes away.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the fire extinguisher rec. I had a 1973 Buick burn up on me when the fuel lines ruptured about 40 years ago. 10 guys got out on the side of I-66 to try to put it out. Been thinking I need one of those for the Jeep. I've got pretty much everything else in the truck.

(Genevieve and I went out to Idaho in 2016 and rented a Jeep Cherokee. Got stuck in the snow. No tools, no shovel, nothing but a Swiss Army knife -it was a rental! We were 30 miles from civilization and night was coming on. There were cougar tracks in the snow. Fortunately a Canadian RV showed up turning around at the snow line and helped us out. Never again will I be so unprepared).

In my jeep I have shovel, machete, tire repair and inflation kit, step ups for doors and trailer hitch, extra clothes and sweaters, tie downs, rope, knives, head lamps, umbrellas, tool kit, tow straps, can't think of the rest of the stuff. . .I have a map in the glove compartment where everything is. A few weeks ago up in NY for the national kayak polo championship, a girl asked if I had neoprene ointment a large bandades - found them. A guy asked if I had duct tap - found it. One guy was looking for a tent stake (I had 6 of them). etc.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/14/23 11:23 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
....The first question is "Can you deploy/draw your gun in an emergency?" Most couldn't find it let alone put off the safety (safety is not a problem with a Glock). And under stress most couldn't hit a target the size of a door at 8 feet with a handgun....

....I've never carried in the USA. Never will (except if I'm hiking in Alaska and that would be with a Remington 870 Marine Magnum with deep penetrating slug that I'm not even sure I could get off in the 3 seconds I have facing a grizzly charge)....
I couldn't help but smile, take the Glock?

The summer before this past, there were two grizzly attack fatalities near Yellowstone. One, retiree campers reportedly yelled at and threw things at one, while it dragged off a female from her tent. The other was an experienced guide, recreational fly fishing. I've done a good bit of hunting for Huns about thirty-five miles from those maulings. Moral of the story, never set foot in Portland, Seattle, LA, Chicago, and on and on.

Last edited by craigd; 11/15/23 12:02 AM. Reason: spel’in
3 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.