May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kip), 1,066 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Tim, you said you measured the chokes with a choke gauge. Did you use a wedge shaped "pocket gauge" or a micrometer type gauge?

And if you did use a mike what were the actual constrictions, from bore diameter?

There are different ideas about what constriction constitutes a given choke designation, such as Improved Modified. I like the chart that is on Hallowell's site, which shows Improved Modified in a 12 bore to be .024" to .031". Is yours that tight?

Hi Stanton,

I only have the wedge shaped pocket type choke gauge, no micrometer. Thanks for the reference to the Hallowell choke chart, that is really good information showing the choke size ranges.

I emailed AyA asking about their choke size and steel shot proof. So will see if they respond.

______
TC

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found this vintage British shotgun for sale a while back. Made circa 1920/1925. From the proof marks, it shows that it was reproofed I believe in 2012. It has the CIP stamp and Standard stamp, So is this reproofed for use with standard steel shot then? The dealer selling the shotgun listed it as having Cylinder and Full chokes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

______
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Tim - the STD under the crown.
Very unlikely however that the barrels are 4140, but possibly 1040; which has similar tensile strength and hardness (but less corrosion resistance) and I would personally be apprehensive about using steel target loads through a .040" choke in those barrels.
Please let us know the actual bore and muzzle constriction.

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Yes Tim - the STD under the crown.
Very unlikely however that the barrels are 4140, but possibly 1040; which has similar tensile strength and hardness (but less corrosion resistance) and I would personally be apprehensive about using steel target loads through a .040" choke in those barrels.
Please let us know the actual bore and muzzle constriction.

Hi Drew,

I never purchased the gun, just saved the dealer's photo as I thought it was interesting. Could you even get 2 1/2 inch steel shot cartridges back in 2012 or even today in North America?

______
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, it's just a personal observation, so don't think I'm being insistent. But, find you a Skeet's bore micrometer (there are other brands, new and used). They're not prohibitively expensive, and will turn out to be one of the most useful "gun accessories" you would ever buy. I have the ability to measure bores and chokes on everything from .410 through 10 bore, and have never regretted the purchases.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: builder, Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew , the STD stands for Standard Nitro Proof rather than Standard Steel. As this chart from the current Eley Shooters Diary shows it is just the normal Nitro Proof level (for lead cartridges).

Superior Proof is again for lead cartridges but higher pressures.

The Steel shot mark is the CIP Fleur de Lys Steel shot mark.

In the UK standard steel shot cartridges are supposed to be usable (subject to maximum shot sizes and minimum choke sizes ) in guns Proofed for Standard Nitro.

Guns Proofed with the Fleur de Lys mark should be OK with steel loaded to CIP Pressures.

BUT I understand many American steel cartridges are loaded to higher pressures allowed by SAAMI but in excess of CIP limits.

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, builder
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim: I did some looking and couldn't find 2 1/2" steel loads offered today

Thank you Parabola
Are you saying that British Standard Proof is NOT for steel?

This is from the CIP site

12g 50mm, 60mm, 65mm, and 70mm “Standard Proof” lead or steel (limited to no larger than 3.25 mm / U.S. No. 4s and max. fps 1,300)
(Numbers are transducer BAR converted to PSI)
Maximum Average (SERVICE) Pressure 740 BAR = 10,733 psi; SAAMI is 11,500 psi
Maximum Statistical Individual Pressure 850 BAR = 12,328 psi
Mean PROOF Pressure 930 BAR = 13,489 psi

BTW: CIP allows much higher pressures for 3" loads than does SAAMI. 12g 3" is 11,500 psi and 3 1/2" is 14,000 psi
12g 3” & 3 1/2” “High performance/Superior Proof”
Maximum Average (Service) Pressure 1050 BAR = 15,229 psi
Maximum statistical individual pressure 1200 BAR = 17,405 psi
Magnum proof 1320 BAR = 19,145 psi

High Performance Steel regulations: the barrels should carry the High Performance Steel Fleur de Lys stamp and be marked “Steel Shot”

More
https://www.gwct.org.uk/media/1094678/GTA_factsheet_shootingnonlead_ver102.pdf
"‘Standard steel’ cartridges have been designed by manufacturers in association with proof authorities that can be fired through any nitro-proved gun."
"Increased velocity can also be achieved by changing the propellant and generating more pressure. Such cartridges are known as ‘high performance’ steel. They should only be fired in guns proved for steel. This is indicated by a ‘fleur-de-lis’ mark on the gun and the words STEEL SHOT."

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently finished up a Merkel 147E 12 bore. Owner shoots steel through it exclusively. Not the crazy fast stuff either, “mild steel load”. He was very surprised when I told him his gun was off the face and then proceeded to push feeler gauge after feeler gauge through the gap. Merkels are tough guns. They use great steel, have ample locking surfaces. Steel loads are just harsh. Your AyA will come off the face fairly quickly with the use of steel loads. They simply aren’t as strong as a Merkel, nor are they fitted up as precisely as a Merkel.

Is your AyA made up as a wild fowling piece or a game gun? Heavy action? Thick barrels?

The recoil on most steel loads (even mild ones) is pretty significant. Hopefully your stock will be able to also take the heavy repeated jolts a steel load provides. Keep an eye on that too.

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot my BSS off face on the right barrel with years of steel loads, not hyper-velocity stuff, either.

I can't see how the composition of the payload can be any harsher on the jointing on a break action gun, Dustin. It must be just the combination of heavier (1 1/4 oz. and up) and higher velocities that does it? I can't imagine the fact that the shot is steel, as opposed to lead, playing a part in a gun coming off face. Am I missing something?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
I recently finished up a Merkel 147E 12 bore. Owner shoots steel through it exclusively. Not the crazy fast stuff either, “mild steel load”. He was very surprised when I told him his gun was off the face and then proceeded to push feeler gauge after feeler gauge through the gap. Merkels are tough guns. They use great steel, have ample locking surfaces. Steel loads are just harsh. Your AyA will come off the face fairly quickly with the use of steel loads. They simply aren’t as strong as a Merkel, nor are they fitted up as precisely as a Merkel.

Is your AyA made up as a wild fowling piece or a game gun? Heavy action? Thick barrels?

The recoil on most steel loads (even mild ones) is pretty significant. Hopefully your stock will be able to also take the heavy repeated jolts a steel load provides. Keep an eye on that too.

Recoil isn't shot type dependent. It's just payload and velocity. Higher pressures, would do it, however, and perhaps the steel load pressures are higher. That would not surprise me.

Personally, I just use bismuth now, but there was a time when I shot steel.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.