May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 283 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,703
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
This is something I have utilized in certain locations for at least 10 years. They are very effective. Don't ask me how I know.

https://www.burglarbomb.com

I'd rather have my ADT. They won't get into my house undetected. I'd be afraid of those things going off accidentally. But they might work in some circumstances. Like an out building. And what if you have a fire and the firemen have to get in?

I have ADT, too, in my home. And, I never said they were to take the place of security systems. I'm speaking of outbuildings. As to the fire issues I'm so far away from fire teams (and the outbuildings are heart pine which burns exceedingly hot and fast), that I'm not too concerned for the firemen's safety. It'll be gone long before they get here.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a buddy I worked with for several years. He was always going to auctions. He went to an auction once where they were going to tear down a jail. They had the jail cells up for sale- all the bars and the door to the cell. So he bought one of the cells. He took it all home and mounted it in his house and put all of his guns inside. You could look inside and see all the guns, but with the door locked there was no way to get in through the bars. It was about a 50-75 year old jail cell. It was really neat.
Does Otis still sleep in it? Gil

2 members like this: mc, Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine sits in a hall closet and the house is climate control. I keep a half pint of uncooked rice in the bottom of the safe in an open jar which allegedly acts as a moisture absorber. Whether it does or not, no issues. It's also possible that there is not enough room in the safe for a drop of water to fit inside. Gil

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is something I have utilized in certain locations for at least 10 years. They are very effective. Don't ask me how I know.

I'd rather have my ADT. They won't get into my house undetected. I'd be afraid of those things going off accidentally. But they might work in some circumstances. Like an out building. And what if you have a fire and the firemen have to get in?

I have ADT, too, in my home. And, I never said they were to take the place of security systems. I'm speaking of outbuildings. As to the fire issues I'm so far away from fire teams (and the outbuildings are heart pine which burns exceedingly hot and fast), that I'm not too concerned for the firemen's safety. It'll be gone long before they get here.

I have an outbuilding also where I keep my cars. I checked about having some type of system like that. I went to city hall here about it and they really frowned on it. My police get here screaming at 100 mph and are here pretty quickly. In fact, I have had numerous false alarms over the past 25 years, and they usually get here before I want them to. 😁 But they told me that if a fireman or police officer went inside and got sprayed or had to run to keep from getting sprayed and fell, I could be in trouble. And the way things are today, if a kid or a burglar goes inside and gets sprayed, they told me I could get sued. And my fire department told me if they know that they could get sprayed, it could result in them not getting close enough to a building to be efficient enough to put out a fire. And I don't want my cars, tools and other stuff to be destroyed. I sold seven Model 21s so that I could buy one of my Corvettes. I don't want to lose it. ADT told me to stop burglars BEFORE they get into my house. So, that is the way I have my home set up. I ran the ADT system out to my outbuilding. So far- so good. But whatever works for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use one of these as part of a security system. The warning tone is exactly the same as my tinnitus and I once set it off accidentally. I now take my wife with me when I arm it. She tells me the tone is quite loud. The gas is brutal and the residual is not as EZ to get rid of as we are lead to believe. Lesson learned and It won't happen twice. They work as advertised and are a great addition to the system.

One thing I find many people overlook, is the concept of, you can't steal what you cant find.

To the original question, Golden Rods have worked well for me for 30 years. Never an issue.

Last edited by ithaca1; 01/08/24 10:29 AM.

Bill Johnson
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A small 120 volt heat pump seems to be the way to go. I didn't realize they had gotten so cheap, less than $500 on the web.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had numerous false alarms over the past 25 years, and they usually get here before I want them to. 😁 But they told me that if a fireman or police officer went inside and got sprayed or had to run to keep from getting sprayed and fell, I could be in trouble. And the way things are today, if a kid or a burglar goes inside and gets sprayed, they told me I could get sued. And my fire department told me if they know that they could get sprayed, it could result in them not getting close enough to a building to be efficient enough to put out a fire. And I don't want my cars, tools and other stuff to be destroyed. I sold seven Model 21s so that I could buy one of my Corvettes. I don't want to lose it. ADT told me to stop burglars BEFORE they get into my house. So, that is the way I have my home set up. I ran the ADT system out to my outbuilding. So far- so good. But whatever works for you.

You're in Indiana, I know not where, maybe urban or suburban. I'm in "extremely rural" GA. Sounds like you've got very quick response times ........ that's great. I do not. Thirty minutes would be considered quick here. Thus, the difference in our philosophy. We have learned, over several generations, to handle a lot of our potential crime issues ourselves, with the sheriff's blessings. Getting sprayed is not that big a deal, it will not cause permanent harm, it just incapacitates for awhile and causes the perp to readjust their priorities. I accidentally set mine off years ago. No injury to me and could see no residual to clean up. Good enough for me.

I have ADT too, in my home. But, they don't know everything about every individual situation. After a break in many years ago I decided to get a security system. Investigator told me flat out that ADT Security signs around the house and the little decals on each exterior door is almost as good. He said he didn't have a security system in his house, but had the signs in his yard.

One tip for ADT. When they ask you for the priority list of who they should call first don't tell them the law. Tell them to call you first. That eliminates all those law enforcement visits when you have a false alarm. Has worked fine for me for 20+ years.

Stay well, my friend.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

ADT does have my phone number. And they do call me first. But my alarm is set up so it beeps for one minute before it starts screaming. That gives me enough time to get outside without remembering about the alarm. So, if I open the door and go outside and forget to punch in the code and I leave my phone inside the house--ADT will be calling me and I won't remember about the alarm system until the police are walking around my house. When I look up and see them, I think--Uh-Oh, I've done it again!! 🙃

Sidelock
Sidelock

This may not suit all, over the pond in permanently damp air Britain I use the sort of tried and tested method of keeping damp away from guns. I keep all guns individually in its own trunk case with a Silica Gel sachet plus a pound of the stuff in the steel security cabinets we have to have. When I take a gun out to use I remove both packs of Silica Gel with the gun and on the guns return I Nuke both packs of Silica Gel in the microwave to remove the absorbed moisture then return each pack to their original places. This has worked perfectly with no problems for the last fifty years with the only cost being the occasional replacement of the Silica Gel and electricity for the Microwave.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Climate control is essential for keeping guns free of rust. As noted, guns can be stored safely at a wide range of temperatures, so long as the humidity is controlled. Not too dry or too moist, and never permit the temperature to drop below the dew point. Things like Goldenrods or low wattage incandescent light bulbs put off just enough heat to keep gun safe relative humidity low enough that moisture can't ever condense onto the metal. I have never heard of a Goldenrod melting, but any electrical device can fail.

I had one of those canisters years ago and ended up throwing it out.

Dessicants can work very well, but naturally, once saturated to their limits, they absorb no more moisture. Things like silica gel or bentonite/clay dessicants don't ever wear out, and can be reactivated by baking them in an oven to drive out the accumulated moisture. The trick is remembering to do so. Calcium chloride is a very effective dessicant, but becomes liquid as it absorbs humidity, and is very corrosive to steel. There is also the risk of getting the atmosphere too dry, to the point that wood may shrink or even crack.

A large bubbling aquarium is not compatible in the vicinity of guns, unless humidity is monitored and controlled. I have had great luck in recent years with wrapping guns with VPCI plastic. I even put VPCI paper in my metal roll around tool boxes to protect the tools in my shop from rusting.
That cannister that I had- had silica. You were supposed to heat it in the oven when the crystals turned blue or pink or whatever color it changed to when the crystals were saturated with moisture. But it would change colors and get saturated every couple of days and I got tired of drying it every day or two with 240 volt oven. Another piece of junk that sat in my basement on a shelf for five years. So I got tired of looking at it and tossed it years ago.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.