April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, oskar, KDGJ, Jtplumb, battle, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#643770 03/08/24 04:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see the thread was locked on this original post so I would like to give my thoughts.
when I first got interested in refinishing barrels for myself, I was looking on how to refinish Damascus barrels. Dr. Gaddy had a post and i wrote to him and he sent me what he did and used. He recommended Radio Shack Etchant 15% which is Ferric Chloride, used it straight from the bottle into a 4" PVC pipe with a solvent bottom cap and a slip-on top cap filled with distilled water to a line marked on the pipe to allow a 32" barrel to fit without overflowing. I used Laurel Mountain Forge bluing and after striking the barrel finishing up with 320 grit. Dr. Gaddy said he never used any finer than 320 grit. I boiled these barrels in an aluminum tank that I made for steam bending the back posts of chair legs for was plenty long. I boiled them for ten minutes and then boiled again for 10 minutes then carded with a patch of denim from old jeans. boiled again, carded, and maybe again to see how dark they came. Took barrels and put them in tank with a string through the extension rib (L.C. Smith) for 5-8 seconds no more, rinsed thoroughly. carded again with the denim and that was usually the end. I didn't give it all that many boildings or dippings just enough to bring the pattern out

I definitely agree that 45 second dip in the solution and you would have no pattern left.

Like I stated this is from Dr. Gaddy's formula and it has been more than a few years since I have done another and like I stated, only for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by David Williamson; 03/08/24 04:26 PM.

David

4 members like this: 67galaxie, Stanton Hillis, keith, John Roberts
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the thread that Karen pulled up in an attempt to smear me was from 2008, long before a system was worked out in my first shop by my employee, Manito Lara. I now have my own system, I do not dip to etch but rather put it on with a brush, and remove it immediately. For the little amount of etching that I do, I use a 29% FeCl3 reduced to 1 part etchant to 9 parts H2O. Many thanks to Mr. Stallones for getting me over the hump and sharing his knowledge with me.

Barrels by Manito Lara:

Twist barrel I did along with a bench made sight, gold bead inlaid by Charles Lee:

A set of shotgun barrels I did:

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Mills
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those tubes look pretty nice to me. Great job!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/09/24 09:19 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, the more rust boiling and etching you will get a nicer finish, but in my opinion why do that on a gun that hasn't had the rest redone.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, you do what you can. In the case of my Smith gun, the stock looked good enough, but needed to be cleaned and inspected. While the gun was apart, the rest of it needed attention as well. Since my buddy volunteered to refinish the tubes while everything else was being cleaned in the ultrasonic bath, I took him up on that offer. The checkering was almost gone on the forend and the ebony tip was missing, so I had him address those issues as well. The gun certainly doesn't look "new" but it looks fairly-respectable to me now, which was my goal.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/09/24 10:38 AM.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lloyd I think he did a very nice job on your gun. I have quite a few "elsies". My favorites are the hammer guns and guns like yours that have the joint check up until 1899 when it was discontinued. I like that they open far enough to get the shells out easily.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, hammer guns! Yeah, those are pretty neat too. You know, all I really wanted was a decent Field Grade to shoot clays with, but I ended up with this one. In my mind, it's the best of all the lower grade guns, at least for my purposes. This gun has so-many nice touches for an entry-level gun, the joint-check, the bushed firing pins, the English Walnut stock, and the nicely ( better) shaped action. Even the line engraving looks good to me. Nicely understated. I'm looking forward to it's use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Williamson:

Perhaps you would know this. My 'smith suggested that I coat the tubes with a little oil after I shot it, which I did. I had some "Rangoon Oil" here that I had picked up several years ago from Woodcock Hill. This oil is supposed to leave a protective barrier on the metal even after it is wiped off. In this case, it seems to have also changed the color of the new finish from a more-olive hue to an almost grey tone (which is just fine) but... Is that expected?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 03/09/24 11:57 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lloyd you are so polite but call me David. As far as putting oil on your barrels after shooting and cleaning, Dr. Gaddy recommended using used motor oil after blueing and or etching barrels. I use either a silicone-based cloth or a very light coat of Rem Oil after cleaning. I am lucky in that my hands do not leave any fingerprint rust marks like my wife's do. Any oil will work so use it sparingly. A couple times a year I would also take the locks off (make sure the gun is cocked or you won't get them back on) and use a Que tip dipped in Hoppe's or a cleaner of your choice to clean any residue and then use a Que tip with a little oil to protect the bare metal there or sooner if out in the rain.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thankyou David, I will do that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve:

Your barrels look darn-fine too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.