May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, L. Brown, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 195 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,491
Posts545,323
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buckstix- I did see your post, very interesting rifle. One of the reasons to ask for photos of more rook rifles.
LRF- I collect old hunting books, and some of them, from down south, have mentioned coot gizzard gumbo. I have hunted ducks since I was old enough to get a license, but never paid much attention to coots. Figured it was time to see if those southern hunters knew what they were writing about, so shot 6 or 7 coots one day. Found out they have surprisingly big gizzards, for a relatively small bird. With both of us living in Pennsylvania our entire lives, the gumbo my wife makes might not compare to gumbo from Louisiana, but to us Yankees, that gizzard gumbo was very good. You just never know until you try.

Greg G #643731 03/07/24 09:16 PM
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Greg G
Buckstix- I did see your post, very interesting rifle. One of the reasons to ask for photos of more rook rifles.
LRF- I collect old hunting books, and some of them, from down south, have mentioned coot gizzard gumbo. I have hunted ducks since I was old enough to get a license, but never paid much attention to coots. Figured it was time to see if those southern hunters knew what they were writing about, so shot 6 or 7 coots one day. Found out they have surprisingly big gizzards, for a relatively small bird. With both of us living in Pennsylvania our entire lives, the gumbo my wife makes might not compare to gumbo from Louisiana, but to us Yankees, that gizzard gumbo was very good. You just never know until you try.
LOL, I am fond of Bridge shot Pigeon Pie and have also eaten Black Bird Pie but that was 60 some odd years ago. Today I prefer chicken pot pies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Was it a matter of timing? Had the .22 LR not been developed by the time the mid-caliber, so called rook rifles were in demand

I believe you are correct in your last statements.
As many as 40 of us gathered from 2000-2010 to shoot them annually near Cincinnati. Tom Rowe & I restarted Rook Matches last fall, in E. Tenn. along with SS Sporting Rifles. Another match next month - posted on this forum.
Many Rook rifles were bored out to .410 in the 1920’s with the UK ban on rifles.
Tranter was a big supplier of actions to the trade.
Seems the most popular cartridge found are:
250-295
.295 / 300 Rook
.360 No.5 / .380
Sorry, I haven’t taken the time to learn how to post photos on this forum. But, I do have a ‘19th Century Battery’ FB page to communicate my match, with lots of photos.
You should acquire one as they are fantastic little rifles and fun to shoot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a shame so many were converted into a .410. Trying to convert them back, into a proper rook caliber, is often impossible due to liner wall thickness and lack of bore diameter even in a .410. Plus many of the original calibers are for long discontinued calibers which even hand loading are a bit of extra work. You often can just line them to .22 and alter the bolt to put them back in service. I guess with the .17 rim-fire you cold go that direction. But I liked the low power nature of the original caliber, which limited their range and their being used in tighter spaces. If you bullet carries a mile you have a back stop issue.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon
I converted 2 back to 360 No.5, both were H&H hammerless.
1 lined, the other sleeved.
.366 (9.3mm) liners are still available, I believe.
The 360 No.5 (or .380) basically use a 38 long colt case.

KY Jon #643796 03/09/24 04:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had they not been converted to .410’s, giving them a new lease of life and much simplified legal status, many of the rook rifles that still survive would have gone as scrap.

The pity is that so many, on conversion, had the front part of the barrel turned down from octagon to round with the change being marked by 2 or 3 circular grooves turned into the barrel.

This was pretty unsightly and in my view the rounding down of the barrel was unnecessary as in boring out to .410 a lot of metal is removed from the barrel leaving the octagonal barrel, if left alone, quite nicely balanced.

It also made it much more difficult to restore them to their original state as rifles such as .32-20 as many have done in recent years.

To prove it could be done nicely (if it had to be done at all) here is how it was done by Charles Edward Greener ( W.W. Greener’s son) for his daughter May.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The original fully octagon barrel has been blended into an ovate shape with the original matted top flat being preserved all the way to the muzzle. Note the chisel work done to blend the change.

Last edited by Parabola; 03/09/24 04:54 AM.
1 member likes this: earlyriser
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.