May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 694 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, here are some pointers. Learn enough gunmaker's names to form a basic idea of what the gun is based on the name. Learn to spot deceptive names. Learn enough about proof marks to confirm/refute the maker's name. Learn to sort maker's name, original quality, and current condition. Locate a good gunsmith you can consult on any proposed purchase. Develop an understanding of what you will get for which price. Learn the difference between functional issues and cosmetic issues. Learn what the gunsmith will charge you for the various repairs and services an old gun is likely to need. OK, that is a start.

Second, put your wallet away until you learn some of these things. Alternative, find a dealer who already knows such things and who will treat you fairly. Right now, you would be much better off to go to a reliable dealer and say, "I have $XXX to spend on a hammer gun for CAS shooting. I want #1 a safe gun, #2 a functionally reliable gun, #3 a gun that is not likely to break in the immediate future, and #4 I'll worry about cosmetics later and as I learn more about old guns.

If you want to learn, hang around here and ask questions. Ask something like, "How would you guys rate the above three guns?"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman that dealer part sounds good...in the real world it just ain't happening.
I've bought and sent back at least 7 or 8 hammer guns in the last couple of years...I'm sure several were to some of these reputable dealers you've spoke of. There's lots of dealers that can talk a good show...

You nailed it down in the last sentence...there's lots to be learned on here from lots of people.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You are going to have to forget about 99 dollar guns.

He just starts all of his auctions at $99. Most of his hammer doubles have been selling in the $250-400 range, depending on make. Some brand name guns going $7-800, depending on condition. I am more than prepared to pay for a quality vintage hammer gun, but not interested in high-end collectablles since I plan to shoot and scuff it up.

Opinions on this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=84006082

Steel barrels. Tight, bright and clean. I had a Crescent Arms gun (all grey) of similar vintage (Armory Steel) I bought from this dealer and shot lots of Winchester ultra lite target loads through it, as well as 50 gr FFG BP handloads. Reserve on this is pretty reasonable, considering condition. And how do I find a good gunsmith who can competently assess a doublegun?

Last edited by Rudybollo; 11/01/07 10:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One can buy solid hammer doubles for USD300-1000, you just have to know what you are doing and not be in a hurry. I almost refuse to buy them unless I can inspect them my self, before buying, which means little or no Internet buying. I don't want guns that someone else has "refurbished", unless I know the work to be really good and totally safe.

I also stick to guns I know well, that is, Husqvarnas, Sauers Merkels and Brownings. I almost won't look at anything else. I no longer even give "project guns" a serious look. I do buy guns that have honest wear but, only if the innards are in solid condition and lock up tight and barrels appear to have original internal and external dimensions (no agressive polishing on outside, original chamber lenghts, forcing cones, chokes and little, if any reaming of bores. Pitting of bores has to be minor, more of a "frosting" than a bunch of deep pitts. Dents have to be small (less than 1,0 mm deep and a few mm wide).

I want all the barrel metal that was originally there, in near original condition. I want tight lockup and no evidence of "blacksmith fixes" to loose hinge pins or locking bolts. I want no cracks or chips around head and tang of stock and no stock repairs in these areas. Aside from through cleaning of metal and limited refinishing of stock and, sometimes, recutting of net checkering, I do nothing but shoot the gun. I do no lengthing of chambers, no recutting of forcing cones or chokes, no reaming of bores.

Yes, I have and do shoot some old hammer doubles with ugly bores, reamed bores, extended chambers. But, those guns got lots more careful examination before deciding to keep and use them. One has given years of heavy service with low pressure, low shot weight loads -- but, lots more time and effort went into checking out that gun. Never again.

Niklas

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudy, if that is the kind of gun your looking for, I see nothing obviously "wrong" with that one.....cross bolt MIGHT not be seating all the way, could be dirt?

If they honor an inspection period and you can have someone at least check the wall thickness/bore diameter it looks like a good gun to look at.

Nitro proofs but 2.5" chambers(at least they were back when it was shipped)

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 2.5 inch chambers are fine, since I will be loading brass Magtech 2.5 inch cases with BP only. Love blowing smoke - out of gun barrels, that is! The Greener linked above caught my eye. I guess being a fan of the movie Big Jake, Jacob Macandeles (sp?) was happy that his "Greeners" had been brought along. Does that seem a solid gun? Not in really collectable condition, perhaps. What about the asking price? Reasonable.

Now the Belgian sxs seems very solid and the proofs indicate that it has nitro as well as black powder proofs. You guys just had to make me dig for the information, didn't you? ;-) Thanks. I love doing gun research, especially on subjects I know little about.

And then there is this Parker Bros. Underlifter. Love those patent dates. No proofs in the auction. Who knows about these guns? I know, I know. Lots of questions, but now I am developing a general curiosity about these beasts.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83692461

Last edited by Rudybollo; 11/01/07 02:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudybollo,

I have taken to asking for measurements of chamber diameter and lenght, length of forcing cone, bore and chokes (length and diameters), using a bore gauge. Sometimes also OD of barrels at selected distances. In today's world where bore gauges are common, this is not unreasonable or time-consuming task. Great way to assess if bores have been messed with and to get estimate of average barrel wall thickness at various distances along the barrel. If the seller refuses, I pass.

That stock has no checkering (foreend does) leads me to think that the stock is replacment. Maybe that is when the "high gloss Browning-type" finish was applied. What else might have been done then?

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd go with the old Parker....chop it off and it would make a nice cowbOy gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Rudy George L has allot of English hammer guns listed on Guns of America...forget a gun in collectable condition.

With the exception of the Parker....None of the guns you posted would be collectable if they were brand new in the box.

Unless I looked at the wrong category, I may be fishing in the wrong pond! Can you provide a link for one of his guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

He has a lot of guns listed in the doubleguns for sale section starting on page 10.

Go to Forum List above, select the third item which is doubleguns for sale and go to page 10 and look for George L. as the seller. There is probably 100 of them.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.