May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 1,116 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We cannot shoot feral hogs in Colorado. The reasoning is that if you could, sportsmen would likely attempt to grow the population to increase opportunity. We have very strict rules about releasing non-native animals in Colorado, for a good reason I believe, we want to ensure the health of our native wildlife. Seems like sound game management to me.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
[quote=BrentD, Prof]…..Biologists do not make policy….

No they don't. They do influence policy as those who make policy rely on their opinions and theories. I stress opinions and theories until there is a proven and repeatable outcome or conclusion, proof. One hopes for policy based in knowledge and thoughtful consideration.

As to the anti hunting/shooting crusader. Basing their beliefs in ignorance, emotion and fear. Often willful ignorance. Or possibly the idea that they just know better than you how you should live your life!

Chief

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Not too far from me, about 15 miles or so- about 10 years ago, a subdivision had a high content of lead in the soil in everyone's yard. Then they realized they had built that subdivision on a crop of land that was a skeet range back in the 50s and 60s. So the developer was responsible for digging up all the topsoil in the entire subdivision and replacing it. The developer wasn't too happy about it and neither were the residents. Not to mention the depreciation of their homes. Stuff like that happens, I guess. 😊

10 years ago, eh? You expect us to believe the homes have “depreciated” in the years since? Lead is like any other commodity, the price fluctuates, and that was either the dumbest developer in history, who didn’t recover and sell the lead, or, he was deliberately hoodwinked by the people who permitted his planned construction.
Little newsflash for you-lead/antimony alloy, as used in ammunition is incredibly stable, we dig up mini balls fired during the civil war that retain upwards of 90% of the original weight and mass after 160 years in the soil. The soil doesn’t have a high content of lead, the pellets have a high content of lead.
I’ll give you this-stupid happens, too. See it all the damn time. You check and see how the loons are doing? Probably none of the news that comes to your box in the living room told you that arctic sea ice is the fifth highest recorded since 2005, this year:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
free upload images

Make note of it.

Best,
Ted

There's a little bit of difference between finding a bullet or two every 100 feet or so and an entire subdivision where the ground was completely covered solid by shot, because it was used as a skeet range for 20 years. And even if the developer recovered the shot, digging up everyone's topsoil, replacing it and then resewing it was pretty costly. I don't believe the price of reclaimed shot that was on the ground for 60 years quite covered the cost of what the developer paid to replace an entire subdivision of lawns. His total loss was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars , if I remember correctly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, now you are going to tell me the ground was “covered in lead shot” and, nobody, not the city engineer, not the planning people, not the zoning people, not the city inspector, not the developer, nobody noticed, and they built a housing development and utilities for same without even looking?

Yea, not. I’d tell you nice try, but, no, it wasn’t.

Best,

Ted

When you believe in things you don’t understand, that’s superstition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
We cannot shoot feral hogs in Colorado. The reasoning is that if you could, sportsmen would likely attempt to grow the population to increase opportunity. We have very strict rules about releasing non-native animals in Colorado, for a good reason I believe, we want to ensure the health of our native wildlife. Seems like sound game management to me.

You honestly believe that sportsman, or, anybody, that finds himself on the wrong end of feral pigs would want to increase their population?

What the hell would cause ANYBODY to think that?

Here is a suggestion for “management”. It’s called a bounty. Let the sportsman, college kids, housewives, anybody, have a direct hand in eradicating a nuisance before it goes out of hand, and your local DNR has its grubby hands out in front of the legislature, looking for an answer that was right in front of its face.

Lunacy. Don’t shoot the pigs.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Originally Posted by craigd
[quote=BrentD, Prof]…..Biologists do not make policy….

No they don't. They do influence policy as those who make policy rely on their opinions and theories. I stress opinions and theories until there is a proven and repeatable outcome or conclusion, proof. One hopes for policy based in knowledge and thoughtful consideration.

As to the anti hunting/shooting crusader. Basing their beliefs in ignorance, emotion and fear. Often willful ignorance. Or possibly the idea that they just know better than you how you should live your life!

Chief

The anti-science crusaders are basing their beliefs in ignorance, emotion, and fear, also. Often even more willfully. One only has to look at the ferocity of our local forum science deniers. And that is the problem Neither group does any favors for their "cause", even if they are right. Sadly, too many folks here, let them slide.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 03/20/24 09:30 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB

I believe that shooting hogs is outlawed in at least a few more states. Missouri for one, perhaps Oklahoma for another. I have heard something about that on the grapevines. I've also heard that it is as much about busting up the sounders causing increased fertility in the same way that shooting coyotes increases population growth rates. I have not looked into the veracity of these claims, but they are at least plausible in the lack of data to the contrary.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by SKB

You honestly believe that sportsman, or, anybody, that finds himself on the wrong end of feral pigs would want to increase their population?

What the hell would cause ANYBODY to think that?

Because hunters have a pretty solid track record of introducing pigs (and other species) where they do not belong, just so they can hunt them.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Bitter bs and nothing more. I don't care what your left wing lunacy beliefs are, stick to the science. Well Steve, I gave it really good try, kinda makes me laugh. You gotta relax, and enjoy the non native wolves. And, before you go saying someones granny saw a wolf in 1894 near the WY border, I had a Santiago's triple pork breakfast burrito.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
BrentD, the feckless dolt. The most despised character on this board. This narcissistic windbag just never STFU. If this forum wasn’t available to make him feel good about himself, I’m convinced this giant boob would sit in front of a mirror and argue with his own stupid face. He’s up 6,621 post of worthless drivel.

I’ll tell you this, when I was a Nebraska (Omaha) & Iowa (Glenwood) resident in the early 2000’s, both the Nebraska and Iowa DNR’s swore up and down that there were no cougars in either state, and if there were, they were migrants. Anyone who spent anytime in the outdoors knew they were there and the DNR was full of crap. There were breeding populations in both states, especially along the Platte River corridor and the council bluff-loess hills area. When a young immature Lion was shot and wounded in downtown Omaha (that cat now resides at the Henry doorly zoo), a lady in Gretna NE filmed an immature cat in her back yard (local news played her 911 call along with the arriving police officer radio traffic confirming to dispatch that it was not a house cat or a bobcat) and then a Lady ran over a lion at night driving from council bluffs to Glenwood, both DNR’s had to change their tune. Another incident of note is a farmer just outside of Omaha shot and killed a Lion on his property stalking his cattle…that cat had a radio collar on it…it was found when the Nebraska DNR showed up and politely asked for the collar back. Hmmm. There were many articles in the Omaha World Herald about this. I used to waterfowl hunt along the Platte on a private lease, you’d hear strange growling when walking out to set up early in the am. I personal witnessed a small herd of whitetails run across the Platte after hearing growling and thrashing in the woods. These were not raccoons or bobcats. I knew they were there….so did the little old lady that I leased my hunting spot from. Theres no question that they are there, in populations that are breeding locally, not migrants.

My god you are stupid. And you work so damn hard it. Congratulations. No populations in Iowa. Not then, not now. But don't let me stop you from demonstrating your stupidity over and over and over again. Go nuts.

_________

Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.