Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy,

Thanks. If any one is interested, they can purchase the book here through Dave. There are also several used copies available on Amazon.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found an 1853 map of Motts Corners. It clearly shows Losey's Gun Factory.

Here is the overall map:

This is an enlarged snippet, look just above the "Motts Corners".

The map is very large, over 11 meg. I you want to see the full image it is at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~springport/pictures85/8544.jpg

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM,
If you change the last digit to 3...on your link above ...8543...it pulls up an Ithaca map that shows a ? "T Brennans Gun Foundry" and a "Gun Shop" just off Aurora St. between Owego and Green streets

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice catch. I think some one could spend weeks going over these old maps looking for details like that. The map really shows why it was there. The river and rail road are present to supply power and transport.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

More importantly, it suggests that a certain amount of skilled gunmakers were already present at the time Baker moved from Lisle to Ithaca...so perhaps it wasn't only the water power that swayed his decision to make that move...It's the first I've heard of any other gun foundry in Ithaca...

I made a mistake awhile back when I said that Ithaca was between Lisle and Mott's Corners... Mott's Corners is in the middle

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy,

I ordered that book through Dave. Really great! Thanks for the tip. The pictures help a great deal. The picture of the skelp barrel in progress with a glob horse nails at one end is worth the price to me.

I also got Charles Semmer's "Remington Double Shotguns". He has a chapter, though short, on damascus. Pictures of such items as Boston Ohonon, Chine damascus are all there.

In that chapter Semmer suggests an interest thing. This is not primary source, but more a reminisce of Del Grego. Del Grego claimed that he remembered old time Remington employees talking about making damascus barrels and what hot work it was. Semmer suggests that Remington was not buying finished or rough tubes, but rather forged damascus billets. He further suggests that they may have had an American source.

Again, none of this is primary source and much is speculation on the part of Semmer. But it does cause me to think. Were there American sources for such a product?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

To Pete of Oregon: You're being awfully quiet on this topic to be the man that I had a running battle with on another website awhile back with you saying that you knew for a fact that no American gun company had ever made their own damascus or twist barrels.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted this some time ago on the Damascus explained thread. Thought it appropriate to repeat it here:

This is from "Fire-Arms Manufacture 1880", U.S. Department of Interior, Census Office. They are discussing barrels - Truing or Straightening of Barrels. I thought the reference to a "twisted barrel" significant.

Quote:
"English workman Thomas Smith... 1822.. Harper's Ferry armory... His blows upon a twisted barrel (to quote Mr A.H. Waters) followed each other like the taps of a woodpecker, scarcely leaving a square without the marks of his copper hammer."

Originally Posted By: The following was posted by Robert Chambers in the same thread
More sources of American made, hand hammered, twist/skelp barrels are...any guns made by, or with barrels made by, A V Sill of Buffalo NY, Miller brothers of Rochester NY, Losey & Lull of Mott's Corners NY. but mostly Levi Coon of Ithaca NY. The site, where in 1883, W H Baker established Baker Manufacturing>Ithaca Gun Works>Ithaca Gun Company, is a particular site on Fall Creek known as "Triphammer Falls". This site was once he site of (gun barrel maker) Levi Coon's triphammer untill about 1830. This site had been named after Conn's triphammer. By 1834, Levi had re-established himself at Mott's Corners only about 3 miles east. Coon's barrel making continued on, later to become Losey & Lull, until one by one most of their skilled employees went over to work for Baker at the very site Coon had left 50 years beforehand, Triphammer Falls. But it was not the loss of the skilled labor pool that ended Losey & Lull's barrel making business, it was Remingtons new "Cast Steel" barrels being manufactured only about 60 to the miles north.

So, there is evidence for at least some limited American made twist or damascus barrels from as early as 1822 to as late as possibily 1880.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete: please keep an eye on this thread while I'm in S. Dakota and KS http://www.parkergun.org/forums/forum1/4379-1.html
Pics of what are felt to be Parker Bros produced Damascus brls may appear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK. Get a rooster for me.

Pete

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.