March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65919 11/11/07 04:08 PM
garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this Lefever 12 gauge H project I purchased a while back. The previous owner had cut the barrels (too short to be safely shootable) and I purchased the gun primarily because the wood was in such good condition. I'm not a gunsmith and the barrels are so short they would need to be sleeved or replaced. The mechanics are sound and locks up tight with some surface rust on the side plates.

I'm primarily interested in getting some advice on how to handle a transaction should I decide not to restore it and make it available to someone else in the future. All the serial numbers match so I'm reluctant to destroy the barrels. I just want to make sure I don't get crossways with anything before offering it to anyone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. also, BTW, If anyone on this site is interested in this gun minus the barrels, I'll make it available for what I have in it - $550 or b.o. and the obligatory $10 for the site.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x300/ggwillia/LefeverH1.jpg?t=1194808786

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x300/ggwillia/LefeverH2.jpg?t=1194808880

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x300/ggwillia/LefeverH3.jpg?t=1194808928

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x300/ggwillia/LefeverH4.jpg?t=1194826669

Boxlock
Boxlock

It would seem that you would offer it to someone the same way it was offered to you. Can you perhaps clarify what your concern is?

garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My concern is the length of the barrels. Probably not legal length. I purchased the gun sans barrels originally but the seller eventually found them and sent them to me seperately (additional cost of course). I just want to make sure I follow the correct protocal for selling the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would talt to Buck Hamlin 636-479-4304, and see what options he may give you.
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Legal barrel length for a shotgun is 18". No mysteries there. It either is 18" long or it isn't. If it isn't, I don't think you can legally sell it.

> Jim Legg <

garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Jim. Kind of a shame the gun was ruined.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Taking a quick look at the ATF regs, the barrels must be 18" and the overall length 26". Technically, what you have now is not a shotgun but a "weapon made from a shotgun". Those may not be posessed!

Having dealt with this issue in my shop, after direction from the ATF(BATF&E), you could have the barrels "restored" or replaced if the old ones are under 18" and the overall length is less than 26". I have "restored" a number of A-5's, that were so "fixed-up". The short barrels I then crushed in a vice and trashed. Unfortunately fitting SxS barrels is not like fitting A-5's or 870's. Best of luck. Dr. Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

BBls can be lengthened by turning & reaming opposite portions of the original & extension to about half the wall thickness & approx ½" long, then silversoldering together. This is of course much easier to do a single bbl than a double. For the double would likely need to make up a piloted reamer of correct dia to ream the ends of bbls & turn the "Tongue" on the extension. For a single bbl I normally do it the other way. Would want to make absolutely certain you left no Forward Facing step for wads to hang on. There would then of course be the problem of the rib. To put this much effort in an H grade would have to acquire it much "Cheaper".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Appreciate the information. Probably worth mentioning that the gun and barrels are intentionally not in the same geographic location just to be on the safe side. Probably not the best decision but can't bring myself to permit parting the gun out or using the stock elsewhere so I'll probably sleeve the barrels and keep it for my waterfowl gun.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.