April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (rtw, Dan S. W., 1 invisible), 1,077 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LGF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am mildly optimistic on this one; however, it would have been better if not heard as it would have reversed the DC ban of 31 years. I suspect this will be a 5 to 4 decision. Let's just hope it is in the right direction!

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

7 to 2 or 5 to 4 is all the same. Roe V Wade was a 7 to 2 vote. The Florida vote that ended up electing Bush was a 7 to 2 and on a lesser point a 5 to 4 vote. Hoping to get a vote out of any court that limits power of the government is a real stretch in my book. I am hoping it goes our way for once and for all. Just not holding my breath.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that they took it up is a bit scary. Leaving the appeal decision alone would have been just fine. It will be interesting if they address the decision of whether the second amendmant is personal or collective. I understand that is squarely on their plates. My fingers are crossed. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm betting the issue of guns intended for personal vs. militia will not be resolved in this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whether the right is collective or individual is a core issue of the lawsuit. It will get decided upon - in the context of owning a sidearm in DC. All of the chips are on the table as far as the Federal law goes. Many states already have their version of the Second Amendment, which would not be trumped by a loss in this case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As someone who lives in a place where handguns and "assault weapons" are illegal and the city has used its licensing power to prohibit the sale of ALL GUNS AND AMMUNITION, I'm watching this closely.

The 2nd is an interestingly worded amendment. IMO and individual right to own and keep military weapons in the home. That said, the "well regulated militia" limits the scope of ownership and use to citizens not engaged in unlawful or disorderly conduct. No private militias, armies or armed mobs allowed. Perhaps regulation of artillery, explosives and such??? I'd expect full-auto to stay illegal.

Not a lawyer, but a couple of points:
1. It is common for the SCOTUS to take up cases that have had differing rulings in the lower courts. That is the case here.
2. Can the District of Columbia, not being a state, even have a "well regulated militia" ?
3. Saw a clip of the D.C. Mayor arguing that many of the homicides in the district were caused by handguns so they should continue to be banned. This argument would seem to indicate that the DC ban doesn't work anyway- a strang argument to make in favor of the ban.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please note the following:
"The right to keep and bears arms shall not be infringed". is the primary clause in the Second Ammendent.
"A well regulated militia as being necessary to the security of a free State" Is a dependent clause and in meaningless on it's own.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 11/21/07 12:24 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The amendment was intended to be a barrier to absolute rule by any tyrannical power. Targets, hunting, nor self defense are mentioned, OR relavent. All males (not including slaves at that time) were members of the militia. It was also intended that the individual populace would be armed with the latest weapons (i.e. - assault weapons) to enhance their effectiveness.
Comparing the text of the Second Amendment with ALL THE OTHER ORIGINAL AMENDMENTS, there can be little doubt the original right was intended to be individual one.
I wish the Supremes had not reviewed it, which amounts to a pocket endorsement of the Appeals Court ruling. If the Supremes rule "OUR" way, the next thing is everyone from Nancy P. to PETA will be calling for a Constitutional Amendment to reverse the Second Amendment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.