May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Argo44, Lawrence Kotchek, Hammergun, 3 invisible), 661 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,505
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't worry this county is too ..... up to save anyway. What does an Irishman care about an Italian or Alaskan about Texan. It's ...... hopeless. Just call almost any 800 number and you have choice between English and Spanish. I'm surprised the recording usually says press 1 for English and not the other way around. Leggs remarks are insignificant. Frankly neither party is worth a warm pitcher of spit! I just click my mouse for news I want, because I do not want to hear most of what they say on TV. I will not vote anymore, because it .ucking doesn't matter anyway. Each party only cares about their party.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
Kerry, Eejit. New word for me. I find the definition easily enough but not the pronunciation. Is it with a hard e and soft i? Regards, Jake

Jakearoo,
It's a Hiberno-English word, our pronounciation and colloquial spelling of "idiot." It is always derogatory, as in "He's a right eejit."
Eejit, ee as in knee, jit as in jitney, the pantechnicon that travels to the Hamptons, often full of them!

Gaelic is much more precise, having words for a masculine fool (amadan) and feminine fool (oinseach) and a kinder one for a mentally challenged person (duine le Dia = a person of God)
K.

K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, you're certainly one smart guy, being able to read obvious intentions in cyberspace. And Jim even posed a QUESTION as to whether it would offend anyone. All you know for sure, Jack, is that it offended you.

Well, here's a little quotation on the subject of words and mutual understanding. Same source as my previous one (Voltaire), only this one is straight from "The New Dictionary of French Quotations". (I was unable to find the one referred to at the end of Jake's Google search.)

"Volumes would be necessary, not only to begin to clarify things, but to begin to reach agreement. It would be necessary to know what clear idea one attaches to each word one utters. But even that isn't enough: it would be necessary to know what idea each word evokes in the mind of the opposing party."

That's why, IMO, the whole "hate speech/hate crime" thing is so silly. A black man assaults a white, or vice versa. Did it have anything to do with race hatred? How about just the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time? How does anyone know . . . unless there is hard evidence that the speech or crime in question was motivated by hatred? Well, as for me, I did not hear Jim say that he hates all Democrats. But you may ASS-U-ME that to be true, if you wish. As for me, I shall heed the words of Voltaire, and not assume that the "clear" meaning of Jim's tag line in my mind is the same as it is in Jim's mind.

And as for inadvertent assistance to any cause . . . Jack, you should have heard the NPR "Talk of the Nation" program a few years back, when the topic was the now-accessible files of the Soviet KGB and that agency's influence over the American Communist Party. Several old academics called in and protested, "Well, I WAS a Communist--but I was no Soviet agent!" Nope, just a dupe. And it's equally possible to be a dupe of the terroists--as in perhaps by donating money to an innocent-sounding Muslim charity which turns out to have somewhat nefarious connections. Oh, but we haven't heard of any of those . . . have we???

But I certainly hate it that Jim's suggested tag line has stifled debate here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo (November 19, 2007 08:03 PM)

PS. One other thing; Sidelocks or boxlocks and with double or single triggers? And, for the bonus question; Ejectors?

C'mon guys. Jim stated his reason for his tag line that started this thread and then he deleated it here and everywhere. Much as I enjoy dancing angles on the heads of pins......

Seems like I never got an answer to even one of my burning three (or four or five) questions above. Will no one set foot in these well thrashed and sacred waters? Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 11/21/07 03:47 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

You Democrats need not worry...the Rebulicans won't let the Democrats take your guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JOe, I hope you are right. It darn sure seems to be a fight. Those Republicans may get some help from Democrats and Independants and Libertarians and even Greens or others. Maybe some of those folks like guns too. Could be. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim: Are you the canary in the coal mine or prepetuating the problem?

I reflect back on a more polite time when I was city attorney for Rockford IL, in both GOP and Dem administrations. Across from city hall at Erwin's Restaurant the political honchos had a large reserved table every day of the week--one either knew he (or she, our congresswoman and later Secretary of Education) was welcome, or not. There were no party lines. The real players, political money men, presidential candidates, state and federal elected officers, the sheriff, mayor, and news media types would drop by to discuss the hot topics of the day. No one ever called anyone a "liar" or made any derisive personal jabs at risk of being no longer welcome. In other words, there was a vested interest in being civil. The debate involved the clash of points of view, not personalities.

Oh! how this has changed. I'm no longer in the political arena, so I don't know whether the politicos are still civil face to face, but in the media they have crossed the line. Even some of my personal friends have no qualms about calling Geo. Jr. a "liar" and "stupid." I questioned this at dinner last week; my friend Dave is mentioned in Ch. 6 of Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable", and he used the "S" word. I asked how a person who went to Harvard and Yale and was a fighter jet pilot could be stupid...and Dave's reply: "well, I understand he didn't get good grades." This is what substitutes for intelect nowadays.

People are so caught up in the fast times of the Internet, 24 hour cable news, iPhones, instant messaging, e-mail, blogging, Blackberries, and the like that every debate that used to be time consuming, real face-to-face, and civil has been compressed to one word or less--what Rush calls "drive-by." Alas! EDM

EDM

Kerryman, isn't it a feckin eejit? How's the shooting this year, I haven't been back since last June.
npm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Nial,
Quite right, it is feckin' eejit in the Kingdom, but "bleedin' eejit" in Dubland. Shooting here is terrible; was out 10 days ago in Sneem area and between 4 guns we saw one woodcock. Had a Brit friend over and although he did not fire a shot had a great time and thought the weather & scenery wonderful. (There are some flowers on some of the wild rhododendron and butterflies in my garden...in mid November!) B-in law remained and shot three more days, 2 snipe and two w.cock in Ballinskelligs (raining.) Last weekend I had a walk-up day on our Dublin Shoot and had a reasonable bag, despite the rain my friend with the springers worked miracles and made them fly really well. We've tried a more melanistic strain this year and they are STRONG!
Best & great to hear from you,
K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

EDM, you're correct: way too much nonsense passing for intellect today. But I do hate to see political correctness stifle free speech. This is Dave's board, and while we can all freely offer our opinions concerning Jim's tag line, the only one who can delete it--besides Jim himself--is Dave. And that's exactly as it should be.

By the way, it's my understanding that while some refer to W's "mediocre" performance at Yale, his grades were actually better than Al Gore's!

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.