March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the negative comments about the photos and descriptions. I can't even enlarge the single photo provided, have I missed something there? The single photo I get up tells me nothing at all about the condition, and the description adds very little. I buy via absentee bid from some of the auction sites mentioned above, I doubt that I will from this one. It's close enough to me I may make the trip just to pester George L. a bit, however. I expected a lot more guns than they are showing in the listings. And what's with this verbage from their terms and conditions: " All post 1898 firearms must be registered in compliance with Federal and South Carolina State Laws. Buyers of post -1898 firearms must complete state and Federal registration forms at Charlton Hall Galleries, Inc., unless otherwise specified;" .........

What's that all about? Registered in compliance with Federal and South Carolina laws? Are these folks experienced in selling firearms, or do they just sell fancy rugs, old paintings, and little bitty statues of fairy tale people? None of my guns are "registered" in compliance with Federal laws, and my brother down the road at Beufort says his ain't registered in South Carolina, either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave & Battle: This, I understand, is to be an English Sporting
Guns Sale & not a copy of the American sales that you mentioned. There will be no pistols, military weapons, Indian artifacts, knives, swords or the like. Only sporting guns and associated ephemera. All those other sales certainly have their place (I am a big fan of Greg Martin). This is to be something quite a bit different & it may not appeal to everyone. Rushing to judgement before the fact seems to me a bit snobbish. Personally I think the pictures are excellant and the catalogue extremely well done.

Best regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

George I'm not trying to start anything but I doubt many would buy anything based on those photos. JMO I do all of my buying for my gun business from auctions. Some are good some are bad. Some have decent photos some have none. Photos can also lie. Over the years I've found out which auction houses' descriptions I can trust and which ones I bid really low on expecting a bad gun but not paying much for it. None do a really good job on photos and most descriptions leave a lot to be desired. Ask why and you get the old "they can't spend that much time with each gun." I've put pretty good descriptions on my listings, it takes about 10 minutes a gun. With 2 or 3 people doing it, it wouldn't take all that long. In my opinion most just don't want you to know everything thats wrong with a gun. If you phone them and ask specific questions it's still hard to get an answer. Most of the time the people that know how to answer your question are either busy or not there. It's a hard way to buy guns and you get screwed once in a while, but if you can't be there you have to take your chances.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George L., I see you think the pictures of the guns are excellent. When I look at the online catalog, most pictures measure 3 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" high. These are too small to show any detail at all. Is there a way to make the photos larger on screen that I am not aware of ? The auction does sound interesting, but what I can see online gives very little information.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/25/07 05:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I naturally wish that the auction has much great success. I have just viewed the pictures and they are terrible. In most cases I can see that there is a gun there, but very little beyond that. The descriptions are rather vague in many cases . I have bid on many guns at online auctions, both sealed bid and phone. I have bid on as many as 100 guns site unseen. Generally I get a gun less than the description says, so I always allow at least a $125 and above to do a make ready. Sometimes I spend more sometimes less. If the company expects online/mail bids they need to give a better description and photos. Remember your bidding on something you have not seen and with an auction, when you buy it you own it. If I was there I am sure I would see a few things to bid on, but I am not able to make it. I would love to bid on somethings at a future auction, but with the photos and descriptions on this one , I will pass.

John Boyd

PS look at item #1085 a nice cased pair of Elderkin shotguns. We see the case but no guns.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

http://www.charltonhallauctions.com/?pag...amp;lotid=25357
George L...........
These two pics are form a amateur with a cheap 150.00 dollar digi camera. How can you honestly say the pictures are excellent in the listings above?

Last edited by battle; 11/25/07 09:40 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In addition to poor pictures,and lack of detailed descriptions a few other things that make this less than desirable for a absentee bidder
1)Collecting sales tax in addition to commission (total 22%!)This is never done with lots shipped out of state.
2)The do not stand behind the descriptions;
"Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to inspect each lot yourself or have your agent do so on your behalf. Prospective buyers should satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Charlton Hall Galleries, Inc., or its employees is merely a subjective qualified opinion, "

I wish them good luck and who knows they may get the bids they needed,but I know for sure they could have had more from absentee,just pointing out the facts no snobbery here.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

You all have made some very valid points. Tell you what! Anyone who e-mails me their mailing address I will see to it personally that they get the printed catalogue Fed Ex'd to them this week. The pictures in the catalogue are admittedly more & much better.
E-mail me at palmettotreasure@aol.com. That's the best I can do this time around.

Best Regards, George Lander

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

What currency are these guns estimated to sell at? Pounds sterling or dollars? Appraised in pounds? Curious,
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The big question is why would they import guns into the US to sell when the pound is so strong? Do people pay that much more for things over here?

The cynic in my wonders if it has anything to do with our lack of proof laws.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.