March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, Argo44, Stanton Hillis, Pat Gidley), 759 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD believe me we pay more over here than they will over there. During the nine years that I lived there going to auctions it would suprise me how cheap some guns went for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, one reason to have an auction here is the huge cost of importing single guns to the US from British auctions. If they bring guns here in large lots, the cost per gun for shipping is greatly reduced. In England, the less expensive guns are much less expensive than in the US.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/27/07 10:56 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm rather surprised by the unneccessary venom in one or two of these postings.

Gentlemen, it is just an auction catalogue. If you feel it is not to your liking, fine, stay away or call and ask for more information.

All auction houses advise clients that photos and descriptions are for guidance only - "Please note that all catalogue descriptions are intended for guidance only. For more detailed info please request a condition report". (quoted from Holt's catalogue).

Photos in a catalogue are no basis on which to buy a gun. Regardless of how good they do or do not look. I know one or two posters on this topic have been caught out by doing just that.

I would never buy anything that I haven't seen myself unless I had a clear report on the condition by someone I trusted as honest and competent.

Anyway, it is just a sale that happens to be accessible and there on your doorstep (someof you) and you can take the guns away on the day instead of having to arrange and pay for shipping.

Come on guys -less of the 'grumpy old men' act. If you don't like the look of it, stay away but no need to be rude.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let the buyer beware. Charlton Hall have sold some art works which I think forgeries. I contacted them before the sale about my concerns and they did not respond. Since I am the expert on that particular artist I think they should have listened to me. David

Sidelock
Sidelock

To be perfectly up front, there's a lot about this upcoming auction that bothers me. Not much need to repeat what has been already said. I will say that I looked back through the comments when Diggory posted his reply, and I just don't see any venomous remarks. Maybe we really are seperated by our useage of a common lanquage. I think the concerns mentioned are real and need to be addressed by Charlton Hall, and not by either George L., who brings his own set of baggage, or Diggory. Methinks auctions in the UK are much different than we are accustomed to here in the US. With all that has been brought out already, I'll not be absentee bidding, that's for sure. I may attend and hide and watch, though, I'm not very far. I would enjoy meeting Dig and a few other folks from this board anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig,
nothing venomous or rude here what-so-ever.Those of us who posted our valid concerns are accustomed to bidding on guns both online and in person.We are just pointing out the facts when we compare to the auctions here in the states (that is where the auction is held isn't it?) we bid and buy guns from.For instance both Jula and Amoskeag will take back and item if it is not as described.I am staying away and hope they change for the better(better/more pictures,decriptions,toss that sales tax for shipped items and stand by the items as described) so they can get bid from others like myself in the future.
Good luck with the auction,hope its sucessfull for you and they can get up to speed on the next one and get more bidders!

Last edited by Dave K; 11/27/07 08:22 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't mean to be rude or to offend. I apologize if I did.

But one has to wonder about skirting proof laws. Knowing that a gun is in proof, and what that proof is, is one of the advantages of buying from the UK.

While these guys mention the proofing on some of the guns (nitro proof), they don't mention if the gun is "in proof." To me, that's a big deal, especially when they're not mentioning bore sizes or bbls wall measurements (even though the walls don't affect proof).

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

So far I've received only one e-mail request from a member of this board for a printed catalogue for the Charlton Hall Auction. It went out today. So those of you kibbitzing about the pictures, which admittedly were a little fuzzy and have since been straightened out, must just like to bitch & moan. The printed catalogue is gorgeous and free if you really want one (the price will be $30.00 at the auction).
The rest of the guns are in from England and there are some beauties. Anyone wanting more description, close-up photos, clarifications, etc. has only to call (803) 779-5678 FAX (803) 733-1701 or e-mail info@CharltonHallAuctions.com. If you're not willing to do that you ought to just shut up & stay away. For those who do come and participate either in person, absentee or phone I believe that they will see something special. By the way, just what sort of baggage is George carrying? George calls 'em like he sees 'em!

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow George,
good way to make friends and encourage bidders in the future.Tell those of us who have valid concerns to "shut up and stay away" !
Now we have reached the venom and rude area for sure.

Just about the level of class one would expect from someone who's introduction to the board was selfishly hogging up the For Sale section with a pages and pages of guns from his business as he was to cheap to pay for an add.

You post a auction on a public site and don't want comments from members?

Maybe you ought to take a good look in the mirror and use your own advice to shut up and stay away before posting low class stuff like that!

BTW,
not thanks on the catalog,no interest @ 22% premium( I am kinda funny about paying sales tax when its not required !) and I learned long ago to bid on guns that have written decriptions that the auction house stand behind NOT over the phone!

Last edited by Dave K; 11/29/07 07:43 AM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave K ...............tells like it is George! Exactly why you did not receive a email from me also!

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.