May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Salopian), 915 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6989 04/03/06 07:28 PM
OP Offline

Anyone out there shooting the .600N.E.? I was at Euroguns in Houston looking for a new rifle for myself and they have a Heym 88B Jumbo due in July.I was kinda thinking this would make a nice b-day present to myself.

#6990 04/07/06 12:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by Trustfund:
Anyone out there shooting the .600N.E.? I was at Euroguns in Houston looking for a new rifle for myself and they have a Heym 88B Jumbo due in July.I was kinda thinking this would make a nice b-day present to myself.
Check on accurate reloading in the Big Bore group. There are some users there.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/4711043

#6991 04/24/06 08:55 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

a 577 is a much better caliber for penetration and general performance
Jack

jsteenson
#6992 07/24/06 04:27 AM

TRUSTFUND I have sent a Priv Mess to you.

Cordially,
JACK

600 NE Dbl Rfl Sought 20K Tops
#6993 08/04/06 06:14 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Quote:
Originally posted by Trustfund:
Trustfundhaveing thing you want is a nice thing! However, sometimes we want things we are not prepared to handle! In most cases the 600NE double rifle is one of those thing we thought we wanted, till we got it! You can believe me, a 600NE double rifle is a thing that is hard to get rid of, if it turns out it wasn't what you thought! A much better choice would be the Heym chambered for 450NE 3/14", 500/416, 470NE, or 500NE, at about half the cost, and twice the utility.

Of course if your sure you want a 600NE the Heym is one of the best made, OFF THE SHELF, doubles you can buy!

Mac >>>===(x)===>
All real rifles have two barrels
#6994 08/05/06 11:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget this: http://www.golfjoy.com/Bag_Boy/Golf_Carts.htm
and a gun boy to pull it!

#6995 08/14/06 01:09 PM

Hullo! I noticed your post...You might want to acquire a .460 Weatherby Magnum at the same time, or the 600 alone is useless unless you intend to use it just for a plinker.Here is some useful info if you take the plunge though. A .600 is a last resort gun, really, almost exclusive to elephant killing. An African write up on the subject said that elephants have extremely low blood perssure, so 4 penetrating rounds (bolt action capacity for .40 and up calibre rifles generally) is just a irritator to them, since they can't bleed out in time for you to get away. Their brains are small, and well protected in a styrofoam-like skull (very thick, though slightly spongy), are impossible to hit even after penetration issues are addressed. The solution? Hit them with a round that will separate their brainstems from their brains no matter where on the head it hits them via shock (.600. 6, 8 and 4 bore rifles were used for this. This may not kill them, but it will drop them (or bring them to a skidding, abbreviated charge) and allow you to retreat and regroup, assess what type of medical help you need and prepare yourself for the pain of a cracked or broken collar bone, nerve damage, and finger numbness after the adrenaline rush wears off.

The term of "too much gun" has never been uttered by someone who has hunted anything above them on the food chain.
#6996 08/15/06 10:35 AM

Quote:
Their brains are small.....impossible to hit
Are you serious?

Try telling this to the the hundreds of ex-pat Brits and Europeans who shot elephants 'professionally' for their ivory between the turn of the previous century and the second war, using the brain-shot pretty-well exclusively! Several of them wrote about it, WDM Bell most notably. Get yourself a library-card, Mark, and start doing some homework!

#6997 08/16/06 05:14 PM

John Taylor, Karl Larsen, Hans Schomburgk, John (Pondoro) Taylor. You'll find them in the biographies section, but may have to grab a German dictionary for some of the stuff. I can kill anything with a .303 British, if it stands still long enough, and plenty of pre-1980 poachers will say the same. Plus, if they didn't have the luxury of a back-up (i.e. .600 or 8, 6, or 4 bore) piece, pelvic shots were the key, not brain shots-they can't charge if they've got no back legs that work.

The term of "too much gun" has never been uttered by someone who has hunted anything above them on the food chain.
#6998 08/17/06 02:07 AM

This is easily the biggest crock I've ever read on the internet. Elephant are taken with brain shots every day. It's still the preferred method, especially in culls. Long for caliber full nickel jacket round nose solids solved the "penetration issue" well over 100 years ago even for small bore rifles like the .256 Mannlicher and the .275 Mauser. Lots of famous early hunters like Bell, Percival, Foran, Melland, etc. would not have lived to tell the tale had it not worked reliably.

The .577s and .600s were too specialized to have much utility back when, let alone today. Guys like Jim Sutherland and Karl Larsen, who used them almost exclusively, were the exception, not the rule. Even Taylor, who concentrated almost exclusively on elephant and briefly used rifles in both calibers, admitted that they were just too specialized for him to justify keeping one around. In the end, he recommended the .400, and only suggested the .465 for the man who needed a boost to his confidence. You'll get a lot more use out of a double rifle in that range of caliber. Today, most of the .577 and .600 rifles that see use in Africa are in the hands of visiting sportsmen, not PHs.

If you just want a .600, that's a good enough reason to get one. If you want a Heym, I'd suggest Heym USA in Dallas. I'm not impressed with Eurogun's prices.
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.