April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jim H., eightbore, dogon, AGS, FallCreekFan, j7l2), 948 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,848
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

HD - I don't agree that one method of setting balance point will achieve "perfect weight distribution." Different shooters prefer different balance points based on their individual shooting styles and physiology. I'll do some research with this method. Certainly, it take into account hand placement, but I expect there are other factors.

JC - "improve its handling" is a subjective evaluation. Only the individual shooter handling the gun can judge if it is improved. The focus of my work is to establish objective measurements so shooters can know and communicate what they are evaluating. The weight, balance, and swing numbers of a given gun are objective. How you feel about them are subjective. I do not believe the goal is to establish generally optimum handling, rather, it is to establish optimum handling for each individual shooter. This is the same gosl as stock fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rman, subjectivity notwithstanding, and based on your handling of modified guns,i.e. guns that may have had weight added to the stock, what is your subjective opinion concerning their new handling characteristics ? :-)

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

OE configuration:
Ithaca NID 4E BLE Trap #457465 - single selective trigger - 12 gauge 2 3/4" - 32" bbls - 14 1/4" LOP (3/4" pas): 8.69 pounds, 6 1/2" balance, 2.48 unmounted, 10.55 mounted, 11.50 HWR.

Modified configuration:
Ithaca NID 4E BLE Trap #457465 SST - 12 gauge 2 3/4" - 32" bbls - 15 5/8" LOP w/ CSMC 1 1/2"pad + 5/8" spacer: 9.125 pounds, 5 1/2" balance, 2.95 unmounted, 11.73 mounted, 12.24 HWR.

Differences: 1 3/8" increase in LOP - 7 oz weight gain (all at butt) - balance moved rearward 1" - unmounted swing increased 20%, mounted swing increased 12%, and HWR increased 7%.

For my purpose of trap shooting, this gun is improved in handling for me. Also, I shot sporting clays well with it at the Vintage Cup. I will soon baseline it for skeet. I seriously doubt that I would carry it afield where a lot of ground was to be covered, though.

There is no general answer as to hurt of help handling. Modifications must be focused on both of the issues with fit and with handling.

Does that answer your question?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
HD - I don't agree that one method of setting balance point will achieve "perfect weight distribution." Different shooters prefer different balance points based on their individual shooting styles and physiology. I'll do some research with this method. Certainly, it take into account hand placement, but I expect there are other factors.

Yes, the mentioned author is from the school that believes in equal weight destribution between the shooter's hands. This school has some good arguments for their view - but I agree the subject of balance is subjective.

However, I have found the method of "taking the balance" not only of the whole gun, but of its parts (stock+action vs barrels+foreend) as well, extremely useful in practice. Of course, Rocketman's machine is the best way, but, let's say, it's not always readily availaible. When you only have about fifteen minutes in a shop to "just look" at a gun, you aren't likely to bother with the formulas, yet might need something more exact then simply balancing a gun. Let me illustrate.

About a year ago I was considering a domestic sidelock of 1944 vintage, and noticed, that "on the pencil" it balanced almost exactly where my own old 12ga did - ahead of the "between-the-hands" point enough to lassify the gun as "muzzle-heavy". Yet, when mounted, my gun felt much better balanced. I took the guns apart. The "rear ends" of both guns balanced properly. But the barrel+foreend bits didn't. My old gun's "front end" balanced where my left hand holds it when mounted, but the 1944 sidelock's barrels balanced noticably ahead of that spot.

I took a closer look at the 1944's barrels. They were strangely shaped, almost conical, quite unlike the classic "leggy" shape of double gun barrels. That 1944's barrels had a lot of metal in front.

So, to my personal taste, both guns were ill-balanced, but for different reasons. My old gun had barrels that were relatively heavier than the stock+action. The 1944 sidelock was the correct front-end-to-rear-end weight ratio, but the weight destribution of the barrels was very wrong, and ruined the balance - and the "feel" - of the whole gun!

The above is just personal observation and opinion, and if I'n wrong, I'd like to know it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I find the idea of balance of the 'two halves' of the gun individually quite interesting. I have never done that, but, will. My problem is, do you use the middle point of the hands position? or the most forward? most rearward? I have a rather large hand and where one measures from could vary as much as four and a quarter inches!

Hairy

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Matthew Quigley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any well made, well thought-out gun will be good enough for most.
They are not Italian violins, nor atom smashers.
They are triflings that most do not have a feel for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

HD - The method you describe will work if you establish a weight proportion for the two pieces (stock + action and barrels + forearm). You must weigh and balance the whole gun and each of the two described units. Then you must compare overall balance, compare for each unit balance to overall balance point, and weight proportion.

I'll run a few tests and see how this works out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

R'man thank you for your feedback. Drilling a hole and doing some experimenting
should not do a lot of harm.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC - I'll use differing guns and tape on weights as needed. I'm thinking about how to lay out this experiment. Interesting idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
HD - The method you describe will work if you establish a weight proportion for the two pieces (stock + action and barrels + forearm). You must weigh and balance the whole gun and each of the two described units. Then you must compare overall balance, compare for each unit balance to overall balance point, and weight proportion.

I'll run a few tests and see how this works out.

I've dug through my (sadly limited amount of) books. One of our shotgun gurus, S.A. Buturlin, states the weight of the complete gun ought to be 2.0 to 2.2 times the weight of the barrels (without foreend). Another expert believes the weight of the "rear end" devided by the weight of the "front end" should give anout .995 to 1.005 ratio. (I can't say if these ratios were invented by the respective authors or picked up from W.W. Greener or somebody else.)

The obvious guess here would be that if a shotgun must have some weight-forward and still feel balanced, the barrels+foreend should weigh a bit more than the rear end, yet balance at the fron-hand grip spot (BTW, I think the "grip spot" for the front hand should be determined by the middle of the palm)

I can hardly wait for the results of the tests

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.