May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Ken Nelson, Hammergun, 12boreman, Birdog, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 943 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,847
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be interested in knowing who these guns actually belong to. It's pretty standard practice in large gun auctions such as this (or larger) to state the name of the estate, if that is the case, or to give the name of the collector who accumulated the guns over a large period of time. This catalog does not state the owner, nor does the on-line information. I could certainly have bought without knowing that information, it's just one more thing that's unusual about this auction. Whoever came up with the pre-sale estimates of prices certainly was overly optimistic. Very few even reached the lower estimate of the range of prices stated. And, I guess all auction catalogs have a degree of "auction speak" in their descriptions, we're all accustomed to that. This one seems overly stuffy in some of the descriptions, with their pretend British speak, and they just plain missed some descriptions, calling several straight actioned boxlock guns as scalloped actions, even calling some sidelocks as scalloped. I don't know what that means. Lots of room for improvement, maybe they will be able to pull it off. I would love to have a RELIABLE auction house for sporting arms in the South. I don't think it's here yet. Just my final thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand your calculation of 25% sold. About 1/2 dozen lots were passed because of the lack of a bid and there might have been a couple more that were withdrawn. I haven't looked at the website, but I penned down the values for all but 1 lot. So, either the owner purchased it thru the AB board or there is a mistake on the site.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/11/07 05:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the owner was there and bidding on his own guns, that's called "shill bidding." It's not condoned by reputable firms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief that brings up a concern. Since bidders could bid on Ebay, an owner could bid up lots other than the guns. Doubtful but possible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's just poorly run. A guy with hundreds of guns that claims he is not a dealer has some of his guns in the auction, and then fronts for them on the bbs. From beginning to end it was less than a well done auction should be. I agree with the eBay connection, that should be eliminated, the owner should be identified, and owner's reps should not be bidding (if they are.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
It's just poorly run. A guy with hundreds of guns that claims he is not a dealer has some of his guns in the auction, and then fronts for them on the bbs. From beginning to end it was less than a well done auction should be. I agree with the eBay connection, that should be eliminated, the owner should be identified, and owner's reps should not be bidding (if they are.)

Excatly !If there was ever a "told ya so" a few us could have good reason to use it.
There was a lot more to this than we where told,as expected.No wonder they had so many "pass"Hmmm Greg Martin,James Juila do several million (by standing behind lot descriptions that have choke chamber and thickness,good pictures and paying for advertising)declining American dollars and no "pass"

Last edited by Dave K; 12/11/07 07:55 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll agree that overall the auction had issues and your concerns may be warranted. But everyone has to start somewhere & it tends to be toward the inexperienced or "green" side. But it is all too easy to criticise from the armchair position and not take an active part. If there is to be a auction house in the South, the it definitely needs direction, support and constructive criticism and I for one would not put much weight on issues raised by someone who didn't attend or bid. I'm assuming(antithesis of exactitude) that the person you are referring to is George L. and I was taught that if you are going to accuse someone of something that you are obligated to call him out by name. I don't have a dog in the fight and I don't know what, or if any, that George L. had in the auction. But I do know that he sat a seat or two away from me and out bid me on a few items. He wasn't raising his paddle on every lot. So what if everyone in attendance brought a gun for the auction? If the bid is higher than what you value it, don't bid. If Dig brought a boat load over, would you make the same accusation toward him? I believe that support is what the event needs and the infighting needs to be tossed to the curb.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree that it needs our support. More choice is better. Experience is nothing but learning from mistakes. I'll bet the next one is much better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,
we can most certainly agree that they where green and yes constructive criticism was what was needed.Where we may disagree was that is what was given from the first page where I mentioned the picture issue.The other issues that kept away absentee bidders (and thats one big thing to not have)was the confusion over what was written on the web site and what was said here was met with arrogance and rudeness.
Have bid and bought at numerous auctions I can tell you you the formula is really quite simple,just look at what the sucessfull one like JJ,GM,Amoskeag do and you will get bidders.
Acurate descriptions that you stand behind
15% commison is fine (but dont'muddle it up with sales tax)
No reverve and realistic estimates (even low ones work to the auction house favor but not the high ones)
Just a few things that would help.
One other one would be to pay for some advertising in the gun mags we all read along with Gun List perhaps.

Last edited by Dave K; 12/11/07 08:16 PM.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave K:

A tidy list of issues and solutions, I do not have a problem with as I have said, the auction house needs direction and constructive criticism. But I consider constant negatives a slap in the face and I won't stand idle and let others who weren't in attendance attempt to rain on my parade where I had an outstanding time. I would drive the 900 miles round trip just to meet McPhail, as he is indeed a card, and see some of his beauties. Anything above and beyond that was your favorite flavour of icecream. As gun owners we are a small percentage of the population. And as double gun, or multi-barrel owners, we are an even smaller percentage of the population and we need to support folk who make an attempt to provide functions that are within our interests.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.