May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, 2 invisible), 1,051 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister, where are you going with the White folks remark? Could start a racist issue which is certainly out of place on this board. Out of curiosity, where is W Kniei?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you've misconstrued my remark, King.

What I mean is the English have a long history of being fighters, explorers, and generally tough people. Tweed wearing, perhaps, but tough nonetheless. Now they seem, as a whole, to have become a nations of 'softies'. How do you think those same people who passed legislation outlawing swords would do in a fistfight? How do you think they would do if their power went out for a couple days? No guts. Their existence depends on having a government teat to suck. The English of 50 years ago were Vincent Black Shadows and Purdeys; now they are Vespa scooters and nightsticks.

As for capital punishment, all it would take is for you to spend 24 hours in a maximum security federal prison and you'd be asking 'which button do I push and how long do I hold it down for?'

Sidelock
Sidelock

I for one find this shocking - I thought that when they banned the evil guns that there would be no more crime. Now you mean to tell me that bad guys have just switched to using another weapon? Who could've seen this coming? Oh, well...THIS time it will REALLY work.

Oh England! Oh England! Brings back memories, don't it?

King Brown, actually no, it isn't the mother of parliments. Iceland has that distinction.
npm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Crime will always find away. You cannot ban everything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I understood your post, Greg. But think of it another way: an American generation raised on hip hop and reality games, seemingly always compared unfavourably with the Great Generation of another war, may be more fierce and self-sacrificing warriors, according to current analysis and books written by infantry who fought at the sharp end in Iraq. Also, the American people acted rationally after 9/11, given the information provided by their leaders, while relinquishing cherished rights and freedoms. America as all countries may do strange things but it hasn't rolled over in decency and courage. Those who think so do not remain long as citizens of a great nation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think for a minute today's generation, in America, is tougher than the old days. I'm not so much worried about trained soldiers but rather the everyday 20 or even 40 year old. In fact, your reference to the military shows just the problem - everyone needs some toughness, not just the people we hire to be tough for us.

Every year, fewer Americans know how to handle a gun, drive tractor, change a spark plug, use a slide rule, or even drive without a seatbelt.

I see England and I fear that's what we will become. As we get softer, there are plenty of other countries getting tougher.

Last edited by GregSY; 12/14/07 06:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Nial. I won't check it. Icelanders always seem to have their act together. I must have been thinking of Great Britain as the mother of the empire's parliaments---and that may be wonky, too. Memory, age. Whoever said old age are the golden years must have been smoking dope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard Facts

This since enforcing new gun laws.

Keep on banning!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.