April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, Parabola), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are enough good ones out there at reasonable prices. Don't buy a bad one just because it's a "deal". Been there, done that.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK! Walk away we did! Thanks.........

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
OK! Walk away we did! Thanks.........

Last Dollar: This thread is the "best" (meaning worst) example of getting advice that was worth less than what you paid. Never did you mention the price or the bore size, nor the intended use, nor even whether it's a hammer gun or hammerless. As to the Parker's bbls being Twist based on comparing to a Lefever...why didn't you just look at the barrel rib which plainly states the barrel steel? Your concern about the rough interior of the bbls is not well taken if its intended use is as a wallhanger. If you are thinking about shooting a gun with Twist steel barrels you need help that is not available on the Internet.

Methinks this was your private joke on Internet pundits who are so ready, willing and able to express strong opinions based on no information whatsoever. Or if you were seriously shopping the gun and credulously came here fully intending to go by the casual and/or careless advice received, good luck. You will need it. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

EDM, thanks for the perspective. For some reason I had a good laugh. We all, or most of us, have fun here and maybe try too hard to answer a question that is not well formed. Of course, others may just like to "gab" a bit, -------part of the therapy given here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another dynamic is members feel obliged to help and contribute with what they know until the cognoscenti arrive. I've been here five years and haven't developed a nose for mischief, assuming sincerity of those who post here.

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl: I notice you are from one of my favoriate places, albeit not at this time of year. I dedicated Parker Guns: The "Old Reliable" to my Parker mentor Dan Behr who now resides on North 9th Ave. You might give him a call to "gab a bit" with a like-minded Parkerphile. My wife Nancy and I spent 11 day's at Dan & Jane's digs this summer and expect to be in Bozeman much longer summer 2008, now that we have a camper. I tried to visit Doug Scott--did you know him?--but he had a stroke and wasn't up to visitors.

Going back to the original thread it seems possible that the gun might be a T.Parker. Ha! Don't we have fun...or therapy. EDM

EDM
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

KB: The range of acumen on the Internet is so great that one never knows. Just recently on the Parker Forum some guy named Morton asked some pretty simple questions about three Parkers he inherited from his grandfather. This generated thousands of words of speculation and conjecture via e-mails cc'd and forwarded; then the thread disappeared and suddenly reappeared, seemingly edited, the paranoia being that one or more of his guns might be for sale. He got my number from someone on the Forum "throwing me the business" who thought I "could make some money on the deal."

Morton called me completely confused and mildly irritated by the whole shabby experience. As it is, he lives just north of me near Madison WI, but has no knowledge of Parkers other than being thrust into ownership, where a prudent person would necessarily inquire as to issues of value and condition. He's a catalog sales exec who has obvious Internet skills and was able to post many really good pictures to help along the identification and valuation process. The powers that be jumped to speculations and concluded that he was making a thinly veiled attempt to sell the guns.

Part of it was that he had made the same inquiry a year prior but came up empty with the usual suspects posting that although they were equally in the dark they were sure some brighter lights would answer him, which didn't happen. Two points here:

(1) The guns are not for sale and our meeting to look these guns over is such low priority for both of us that it won't happen till after the first week of Jan.'08, and

(2) One guy submits too much info and gets burned for it on the PGCA Forum; another too little and draws some comment here. I don't see any mischief in either case. Others have made an Internet career out of divining other people's intent using superior intelect to read between the lines.

I see this as a humorous example of a non-answerable question getting various well-thought answers, somewhat reminiscent of the 24/7 news coverage of nondescript presidential debates that now occupy so much of the time otherwise better spent watching "The Office" and "My Name is Earl." EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar

The bbls inside look like one of our Kansas brick streets...

I thought he answered himself in his first post...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just wanted to see if you guys were on your toes, and to give some of the contributors? a chance to reach their pomposity and arrogance quotients. I needed to know who they dedicated rheir book to (what book-who cares) and that some guy named "Morton" lives north of Madison Wi. Teach me not to ask a question without knowing the answers. As to shooting a gun with Twist barrels, I do so most everyday,"H" Lefever, most productively. That in spite of the advice from the experts?...Thanks to the couple of guys who actually attempted to answer my poorly worded query...The rest of you can thank ME for providing a forum to display your importance..And Joe, I never asked if the gun was a good buy. Perhaps you could get Robert Chamabers to read you the post S L O W LY, so you could understand it..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry if my request for markings and serial number caused you to accuse me of being pompous and arrogant. Your statement that it appeared to be a high grade and small frame gun caused me to reply. I thought I would assist you in your quest for identification of the gun you were perusing. A high grade small frame Parker can be worth up in five figures, with pits, and I was happy for you. I don't know that I'm too happy for you any more. You seem like a bitter man. 126 posts?? About what? By the way, can I hunt on your ranch next season? I'm not so bad a guy.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.