April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Steve Nash, canvasback, cpa, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rather than hi-jack Marks' thread, I'll start this one with two shots, one known to me ..

Long shot : It is reported that many years ago during some kind of public shooting display one of the old pros [see below] took a shot at a crow that was about three times stupid at some unmeasured range and the bird suddenly took a mid flight jolt, folded awkwardly & helicoptered down AFTER he had turned around and was addressing the crowd again. He looked back over his shoulder and then said something to the effect of, 'Well, it had to go somewhere." It was witnessed by a large number of people, told many times and described in some sports book or books.

Lucky shot: Not long after the Remington 1100 was introduced a friend had dozed off under a stand of willows one early morning duck hunt and a flight of Bluebills was swinging in low toward him and out of range from where the rest of us were positioned on the small cove. Another friend realized he was asleep and yelled at the top of his lungs, "DUCKS!" The sleeper blinked to and from his sitting position fired one round without ever begining to mount the gun. Seven Bluebills fell out of the flight, stone dead. Not one even flinched. I've never witnessed anything like it before or since. There were five of us up there that morning and all saw it happen. The sleeper still shoots that gun w/the same 26" IC bbl. I never knew what cartridge he was shooting, but it was still lead shot days then.

Lie: simple type: "I routinely kill ducks at 80 yards."

Lie: BIG type: When field shooting in the wind, "I routinely bag ten dove w/ten shots, taking all comers."

Last edited by tw; 12/22/07 07:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The crow story is connected with Herb Parsons
http://www.showmanshooter.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

My luckyest shot was on a big buck running at 465 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

These queries have the potential to evoke alot of emotional juju, before ending badly. I hope this one doesn't go this way.

I've seen my hunting partner make 50 plus yd shots with a Winchester 1300 slug gun - rifle sights and all - using factory trap loads in #7.5. Yeah, yeah, I know that this is impossible. I know that it's impossible for me. But I've seen him do it......oh, only around 100 times over the past 18 years. He can get 3 responsible shots off in less time than a grease gun can cycle 3 rounds of .45 ACP.

He once conned me into taking a 55 yd (subsequently measured) shot at a phez with a .008 choked 20. Darned if if I didn't make it.......the bird wasn't exactly stone dead, though.

I used my M-12 16 choked .021 to stone an incoming phez at a measured 70 yds once. I favor this particular M-12 when guiding, and not infrequently put cripples down out to 50 yds or so. I really like B&Ps. When pushing the envelope premium ammo is worth every penny to me.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a young pup trapshooter, I was introduced to something called a 'porch shoot' at my first club picnic. The shooting position was a spot even with the clubhouse porch, behind the #4 trap. Exact distance unknown, but well back of the sidewalk. Long way.

The club sharpie encouraged me to enter. Five buck purse, 10 shot event, winners decided by shoot-off in case of ties. Well attended event, the porch shoots drew over a dozen entries - usually our top handicap men.

I coughed up five bucks to enter (it was actually six, one buck to the club for targets).

Old John, who had pity on newcomers, took me aside and explained his technique which was simply to hold even with the maximum height of the targets in elevation, and upon first flash of orange just spot shoot along that line where the target appears to be going. Oh, and use 3deq Federal Champions in 7 1/2. It's largely a game of chance, but you can help the odds sez he.

Well, using John's secret I broke the first five and was leading after the first relay. Talk about instant celebrity status. It was amazing to see the time of flight delay at that distance.

I won the first shoot with 9/10 and thus had enough money to shoot for the rest of the day!

I'll never forget it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it count as a lucky shot if I know that Homeless Joe is dumb enough to take a shot at running game beyond 400 yds? Doesn't seem to qualify as a long shot though.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 12/22/07 07:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My best shot?

A javelina @ 274 yds (ranged with a Leica Rangefinder), using a Rem. 700, .250 Savage, from a sitting position. Couldn't get any closer though I would have liked to.

My luckiest shot?

A javelina @ 274 yds (ranged with a Leica Rangefinder), using a Rem. 700, .250 Savage, from a sitting position. Couldn't get any closer though I would have liked to.

I hope it will be the longest shot I ever have to take, rather get closer. Takes more skill to get closer than to get lucky.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Three shots stand out over the 40 years or so I've been hunting, all lucky!

I was duck hunting with my dad and uncle, using a 10 gauge with 2 7/8" shells, probably about 16-17 years old! Both were great shots and not prone to sky-busting.

A high flyer came by, which they pronounced was too high. Being on the far end of the blind, I pulled the 10 up, took the shot and folded the bird. They had diverted their attention to some other birds, and were surprised as could be that I had shot. I think they were going to scold me for such a foolish shot, but when they saw the bird drop, what could they say!

Another was a shot at a coyote, running full tilt! I paced that off at about 215 yds.

A couple of buddies and I were out shooting ground squirrels with our 22's. I had just bought a Model 28 S&W 357 and had it along. One squirrel kept popping up out of it's hole about 70 yds out and my friends kept missing. About the third or fourth missed shot, I pulled the 357 out and commented "Let me show you how it's done!" When it popped out again, I took an offhand shot at it. Although I didn't show it; much to my surprise, it started to flop around and was dead by the time we walked up to get it. I had to let them believe I was fairly good with the 357. The funny thing was, I was shooting it outside my folks' house a few days earlier and couldn't hit squat.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

One Saturday morning in January 1981, I awoke to find myself the only one at our Goose hunting lease at Bucktown in Dorchester County, Maryland. I took my favorite blind, set out the decoys and settled in. First takers after legal shooting time were a pair that came right in and I made a double. Not too much later four came in and I dropped my third bird. The three birds were dead on the ground 14, 16 and 21 steps from the pit blind. Three Canadas in three shots with nobody there to see it!! Had the decoys put away and was on the road by 9am and seated at 2311 Wisconsin Avenue in DC by 11am for lunch!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
Does it count as a lucky shot if I know that Homeless Joe is dumb enough to take a shot at running game beyond 400 yds? Doesn't seem to qualify as a long shot though.

I think it does...I didn't tell you I missed a standing shot at him at 300 yds...
10 degrees and a 25 mph with out of the North shooting due east....at the shot he bolted. i was commited by then I swang ahead of him and touched the trigger. Down for the count....then he started trying to get up I shot at him about 3 more times before I decided he wasn't going anywhere. Never touched him again.
Big Bucks don't come too often in these parts...and the shots can be long.

Ps...just because yOu don't like it doesn't make me dumb...yOu dummy.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.