March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

At our club we have what is called "The Long Bird" every weekend during our Saturday Calcutta. Anyone shooting in the calcutta can buy as many tickets as they wish for the Long Bird Shoot at $1.00 each. Only half of the total money can be won each week. (The other half of the pot is put back for the next week's Long Bird). Three tickets are drawn from the pot and three shooters get to shoot each week. One is for 50%, one is for 30% and one is for 20% of (half) whatever the total pot is. The three shooters go out to the range and they are handed a "Silver Bullet" by the club manager. (A 12 gauge-Gray Winchester AA)(They can not shoot their own shell). They shoot one at a time from the 27 yard line on stand #5. A target is pulled on their command- TWO traps down the line. If one of the shooters breaks the target, they win whatever percent they were shooting for. If two or three of the shooters break a target, they get whatever percent their ticket was for. If no one breaks a target, then ALL of the money from that week gets put back for the next week. There are very few targets broken during the season, so the pot can grow fairly large. But once in a while someone will break one and win quite a bit of money, even if the most they can win is 50% of half of the total pot. Whatever money is left at the end of the year, goes in to start the next's year's Long Bird at the first Calcutta........Tough shot- shooting two traps down the line at a bird coming out at a hard left angle. Plus you have to be lucky enough to have your ticket drawn. But occasionally someone will break one. They usually win around a thousand dollars- sometimes more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to steal this thread, but now for the rest of the story! The deer was still alive, had been hamstrung, the flesh had been torn from it's exposed side, revealing it's ribcage!

My dad told my brother to put the deer out of it's misery with the shotgun, which he did. A memorable shot indeed! Then we went back to the house and he called the Local Game Warden, who came out and collected up the dogs and the deer.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Luckiest shot(s)

Dove hunting 30yrs ago and posted behind a small cedar on a fence row, Beretta 20ga O/U in hand. I looked around the cedar and saw 5 coming pretty much abreast. On approach I stepped out and shot at far right bird, killing it and one that was THIRD from the right. I swung past the cedar and killed the next bird as they were leaving. 3 doves with 2 shots will help your daily avg.

Best shot

Deer hunting on a power line in SC, I was up a power pole about 40ft standing on a piece of plywood. Just got settled in when a doe and 2 spikes came across the cleared power line, running full out.
I had a 742 in 30-06 with a peep sight. Took all three between 40- 100 yrds, all three running full out with 4 shots.

Move over Homeless Joe.

Last edited by C.R. Sides; 12/23/07 12:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, I've lost exactly three birds in a lifetime of duck shooting---ducks that couldn't be retrieved because of circumstances beyond my dogs' prowess, and I grew up in a culture of not shooting where prospects shifted from killing to wounding. We bought shells and cartridges two, three or four at a time. In these parts, among hunters I've guided and shot with, a quarter-mile shot at a running deer is more than bad judgement; it's doing it and talking about it. Your last message makes it clear to me that you learned from it, as I anticipated in my message to you, and that's the main thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago, my brother Jim took a real skybuster shot at a canada goose that was at least 100 yards up and I think considerably more. The shot was really a laugher. He was shooting a superposed 20 with 26" IC/Mod. barrels. (He was shooting Fed. Premium copper plated 4s in the old lead days.) We were in a little duck boat on Mud Lake, Idaho. Well, the golden bb found its way to that goose's brain. Down came that great big honker. Took forever to fall and hit the water within 20 feet of the boat like a washtub dropped out of a plane. If it had hit one of us or the boat I don't know what would have happened.

Funny thing. That evening we were in the only restaurant/bar/pool hall in Mud Lake. Some guy in the bar came over, said he recognized us and asked if we had shot a goose that morning on the lake. "Yes." "Well," he says, "I was out there and I saw that shot. Great shot but I guess when you are shooting #4 buck shot you can get a few like that."

We had to buy him three beers to convince him the goose was shot with legal shells and not buck shot. I think it took two more to convince him it was a 20 gauge.

Anyway, Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 12/23/07 03:59 AM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

In my Business, 24/7 of building custom stocks on Shotguns,Field & Comp.Rifles, Field & Comp, Handguns, Field & Comp. also Self Defence.If I had recorded all the stories of "Accomplishments" that I had had a 'Hand" in after building 'The New Bits',Ripley's 'Belive it or Not' would have a 'Field Day'.....Live Pigeon shots and Hand-Gunners, Dove Shots,I just said 'Thanks' and put my Prices Up 50%.....Anybody remember Elmer Keith and Askins'peeing-match' over Elmers 600 yd with a 4" S&W mod 29? One Shot Kill, deer of some kind, It went on for years..Yes I Did'(EH),Your a Dammed Liar(A).I killed 5"Bridge Pheasants" at a 'Pigeon Shoot' One Federal 1.1/4ozx7.1/2 Cartridge! Used a c 1901 Purdey Hammer gun..017 choke.........Blew the crap out of the Wicker Basket they were being held in!!!! Put another log on the fire, lots more stories to come!!!!!cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

I learned from it...I learned I was pretty Lucky.

If another big bruiser like him bolts at 350 yards after I shot at him and he's going full tilt at 500 yards by the time I get reloaded I hope I'm lucky again....because I will be throwing lead at him.

One thing you guys (that want to trash a guys hunting ethics) didn't take into consideration was that I could've wounded the Buck on the first shot....my first shot at 300 hundred was ethical...I just had a brain freeze and didn't allow for the wind.

All follow up shots on game that might be wounded are justified.....

yEr move King.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JoE wrote "Any hunter that has never made a bad decision on a shot is either lying or spends too much time in Internet Dreamland....which are you ?"

I have made bad decisions on game shots and have seen about all of my hunting buddies do the same. There is something about a bird flushing at my feet that causes me to lose 40 IQ points. Since I only had 70 to start with that has led to some bad decisions on range and "bag-ability". Certainly in casual conversation I would say I wouldn't take a shot at so-and-so range or wouldn't shoot two birds out of a covey rise because poor scenting conditions make it hard to find the bird that was shot first.

But after a 75 yard walk watching dogs hold point and 25 birds getting up around my feet unexpectedly I have made bad decisions.

This post doesn't mean I don't regret them. I just understand JoE's point.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 12/23/07 12:13 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've noted that those shooting rifled bores strive to have "instant kills", bowhunters are just happy with finding a kill after tracking it and not having to take a second shot, shotgunners talk the talk of quick kills but the nature of the shotgun is that it is often a wounding weapon. I don't know anyone I've hunted alongside with a shotgun for long that hasn't wounded regularly with one. I believe it's not only the nature of the shotgun, but of "shooting flying" when considerations of all the variables to hit a flying target are put in the mix.

tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Log is on .. w/a couple of ricks stacked to the side.

A bud and I grew up laughing about that 600 yd mule deer thing & comparing it in some kind of dianoetic parallel to Herter's catalogue claims.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.