May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (CJF, Ian Forrester, Dan S. W., canvasback, 5 invisible), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,022
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I duck hunted a fair amount from a canoe over the years. My opinion is that is should be used for transportation only. I've known of number of times that they've been tipped. Losing equipment, getting soaked in cold, cold water. Slow going back. Small waters they're O.K.
12' Jon boats are a better option, although I recall a number of incidents when they to have been overloaded with hunters, dogs decoys,etc. and then trying to cross rough, big water.

Jon boats are okay for very confined waters or marshes, but unstable and dangerous anywhere with waves. I used an AlumaCraft Lifetime Ducker for almost 40 years in all waters and all weathers, and for versatility it's pretty hard to beat. Some of the hand-made sneak boats are prettier and maybe a bit slicker in the water, but they tend to be too heavy for one-man cartopping and overland hauling for pothole hunting.

Incidentally, I bought my Ducker second hand in 1964 for $135, and sold it 42 years later for $1,800. Not many duck boats hold up that well! [img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df28b3127cceb326a8b03c5800000025100EaNm7RsycMT[/img]

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been looking for an AlumaCraft Ducker for a long time myself. Have passed on several double enders because I want the square stern model that you can run a small motor on. They're a really cool boat. I just got to see the one that belonged to Nash Buckingham when I was down in Memphis recently.

I've got a Barnegat and it works well though I don't use it much. I bought it from that guy in Virginia who has run the ad in Wildfowl for years. Well built boat, but too heavy for cartopping. I need a trailer for it, I'd probably use it more if I had one.

As far as my experience in the duck tub / sinkbox, it was really fun and interesting. Very wet, I had on all my best rain gear and was still pretty damp by the end of the morning.

It was a little choppy and the bigger waves come right straight into the box with you. You have a bailing can between your feet and have to keep the water from getting over the seat. I had to bail it out a couple times over the course of the shoot.

A friend and I actually built a test model for use across the border in Canada. It needs some modifications but I think we'll have her ready for next season. We did some test runs in the early fall but just didn't have it exactly right so we never used it during the shooting season.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a small boat I built for picking up on prairie sloughs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Below are pics of two boats I designed and built with a couple friends for layout shooting for black brant,snow geese, and ducks.
The bigger boat is 16 ft. and will hold two hunters and up to 70
goose decoys while the smaller is 14 ft and for one shooter.All fibreglass. Very seaworthy, however, the last time my shooting
partner and I got caught in a big blow on our local bay, his comment upon reaching shore was," do you think maybe we're getting a little too old for this sh*t ". Maybe he's right!! Terry
[img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img] [img][/img]

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
I've been looking for an AlumaCraft Ducker for a long time myself. Have passed on several double enders because I want the square stern model that you can run a small motor on.

There were only 205 square-stern Duckers built - all in 1958 - but it was not a success and the DO model was quickly dropped. IMHO the double-enders are structurally stronger, and much more versatile in heavy cover. And yes, you can put a small motor on them with a fairly simple mount. Mine actually came with a motor mount, but I scrapped it because the Ducker is so easy to row and pole, a motor is just an unnecessary complication. For an ultra-light, ultra-stable go-anywhere duck boat, the AlumaCraft Ducker has no equal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Yeti
I've ducked from canoe and large fat 2 person kayak (one large opening for both) pushed into up the reeds on the Connecticut River in S Vermont. Truly small water work.

my 2 person kayak

Yeti, someone gave me the same kayak and I have thought about trying some ducking, how's it work in small water? Room for a dog?

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll agree with Jack that a Ducker needs no motor. It is at its best when poled. A truly pleasant way to get around the marsh. I love pulling up to the ramp at Elliotts Island at low water and the huge aluminum outboard guys are just staring at the mud. I pull the Ducker out of the pickup, slide it across the mud to the trickle in the middle of the ditch and I'm on my way. Cork decoys and fullXfull Ithaca in the boat with me.

Nash Buckingham, one of America's most famous hunting writers, had the money and leisure time to hunt most of the nation's finest waterfowl areas with the very best guides, and shot out of every kind of duck boat imaginable. His personal choice of duck boats: the AlumaCraft Ducker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have wondered about lashing 2 17' Grumman canoes together for safety and stability, with a pair of aluminum brackets.
I've seen a pair lashed together, with a small mast and sail once when canoeing in the Boundary waters of Nothe Minnesota. Sort of poor mans catamaran, looked very stable, though,
Mike

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.