May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, graybeardtmm3, Hugh Lomas, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 808 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,390
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The square stern Ducker DO was only made in 1958. Serial numbers were from 100 to 305, a total production of 205.

The DO has several disadvantages compared to the double-ended Ducker: (1) hull drag from the square stern makes it significantly harder to row or pole (square stern canoes have the same problem); (2) square sterns don't turn as easily, or back up in rice or reed beds; (3) they're harder to blind up, and (4) lacking the structural strength of the normal Ducker, the DO's stern is more susceptible to damage. A simple motor mount can easily be fabricated for the pointed stern of the normal Ducker, which obviates the DO's only advantage.

The DO was dropped after just one year; duck hunters just didn't find it worthwhile. AlumaCraft later experimented with an Economy Ducker that lacked the usual refinements of decking, cockpit, stabilizer tubes, blind pole loops, etc., but it never really sold and only 452 were built.

I suspect your chances of finding a DO today are slim to none - original Duckers are hard enough to find, and there were more than 13 of them built for every DO square stern.

Incidentally, the original Ducker came with heliarc-welded aluminum oars, which are now even more rare than the boats themselves.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
Unsinkable, with an airtank on each end.

It's been proven many times (I proved it myself once) that no boat is unsinkable.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jack, thanks for all the info. Any chance that the Wildfowl article you wrote is accessable on line? Where? Destry, thanks for the banter back and forth with Jack to have him reveal the details of the Ducker. Can anyone post a photo of the square back Ducker? Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice sneakbox, Don. The sail makes it truly authentic.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew they were scarce, but there's gotta be one along that road somewhere. If you'd ever driven it you'd know what I mean.

I've had five chances to buy regular duckers in the past ten years. Ranging in price from $800 for a rough one, to $1600 for a pretty nice one. I probably should have just pulled the trigger.

But I need another duck boat like I need an additional hole in the head. So telling myself I wanted a square stern kept me from adding another big chunk of something I'll use only three months out of the year to the garage.

Great info Jack, was fun running into you on here. Since I know the issue number I might have to give Wildfowl a call and see if that's an available back issue. Or at least try, they're a different magazine since they changed hands.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out the Poke Boat. Super light, extremely stable, and travels in an inch of water.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Put my two duckers away today. Here is a pic. These two ride so nice on those Ford Model A wheels. One can make a little sidemount and put a small motor on these, but I don't bother, as I can row a half mile in notime. I guess they are not unsinkable, but they will float to shore if empty. http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/?action=view&current=DuckersInBarn.jpg

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Front view.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Other pic did not show. Side view.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

And one being used.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.