May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (susjwp, Mark II, Dave Weber), 856 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,390
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jack what was the empty weight on these? Was it 64 lbs? When were the last ones produced? Do you have a picture of what the aluminum oars looked like so I can keep an eye out for them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal, those Duckers look perfect for small water. We'd last five minutes in them where we go. Too short for any chop. Another observation re this very interesting thread is that canoes have a narrow space for duck hunting, in small and generally undisturbed waters, for transportation only, lashed together or alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad had a boat in the late 50's which might have been a Ducker - Seems to me it was bought from Abecrombie's or Bean's. is that possible?

Originally Posted By: Hal
Jack what was the empty weight on these? Was it 64 lbs? When were the last ones produced? Do you have a picture of what the aluminum oars looked like so I can keep an eye out for them?

Empty weight 67 lbs., less than a standard Grumman canoe. The last original LD (Lifetime Ducker) produced, #2784, left the AlumaCraft factory in 1959. Economy Duckers #3001-3453 were built from 1967 to 1969 but never became successful.

The original oars were formed from two aluminum halves, joined around the edges by heliarc welds. Oar handles were ashwood. Oarlocks were pinned to the shafts. Only picture I have is the oar mounted on the boat in this link - http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df28b3127cceb326a8b03c5800000025100EaNm7RsycMT - which I can't seem to bring up here.

The very first AlumaCraft Ducker I ever saw was in the gun room at Von Lengerke & Antoine in Chicago in 1954. VL&A had some kind of business connection with Abercrombie & Fitch, so it's likely that the old A&F sold them, too. I would think the Ducker would have been too pricey for L.L.Bean.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com

Originally Posted By: King Brown
...those Duckers look perfect for small water. We'd last five minutes in them where we go. Too short for any chop.

King, I agree the Ducker is a small water craft. But you'd be amazed at how well they handle big chop. The Ducker was designed by a Swedish naval engineer, and it's like a little cork - I've rowed mine many times in waves where the horizon totally disappeared in the troughs. I always kept a waterproof nylon cockpit cover in it for rough weather, but never needed it. The boat's 42-inch beam and low profile make it incredibly stable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've convinced me, Jack. From time to time, someone somewhere gets it just right. What a loss they're no longer around.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the photo Jack. Now I know what to look for. I guess the upper midwest is the best place to look for these. My dad got one of these new in the '40's (46-47?), but I never saw any oars like that. I have had mine in very treacherous waters also, and even waves coming from the side are not too bad because of the great bouyancy. As I remember, they advertised that a 300 lb man could sit on the 'gunnel and they would not tip. There was an article in Minnesota Waterfowler about these where they showed the original moulds used to form the hulls. Everything built with WWII aircraft quality in Minneapolis.

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As for opinions, I love hunting duck in the reeds in Alaska in a small rowed skiff, etc. I would sneak throught the reeds in S.E. Alaska on the coast and do very well. It was great fun and relatively safe as it was protected water.
However, when I tried it in Oregon on a river, using the current, everything when fine until some of the "3 1/2'" duck hunters came roaring by with their power boat. I did not get sunk but decided that it was totally unsafe. It changed how I hunt down here.
John

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.

The beauty of small boats is that you can hunt where motorheads fear to tread. No offense intended to the many good hunters who use them, but big motor boats seem to carry most of the skybusters, too.

Quietly poling a sneak boat through rice and rushes before dawn, hearing quacking on the water, unseen birds rising into the dark sky and whistling overhead - to me, that's a quintessential experience of duck hunting that the motorheads miss.

RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hal, Thanks for posting your photos. Question? I keep looking at the Ducker with your dog sitting in it. Does that happen to be a fox red(or chocolate) pointing Lab? Just curious. One of my yellow PL's has a body structured very much like your dog. Randy

RMC
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.