Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#78529 01/21/08 07:28 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought a Purdey hammergun last year at auction. It has finally arrived. Photos tomorrow. It has had the original damascus barrels lined. The inside of the barrels look new, of course they are so they should. Swings very nice as well. One of the reasons it took so long to arrive was the forearm has a problem that was not in the description and I had my exporter send it back to Holt's auction house trying to get my money back. The problem: The part of the forearm iron that joins the knuckle has been split horizonally. I haven't had it apart as of yet so I don't know if someone has tried to repair it before. Because of the split the bottom part of the iron has moved away from the knuckle and now leaves a 1/8" gap. Anyway, the auction house says it wasn't a big enough problem that they should have mentioned it. In my opinion thats a crock, it should have at least been mentioned. The fix: I will have to have the broken part tig welded back on and then the forearm metal will have to be reengraved and color cased. It's not as bad as I had been led to believe by the exporter but it is going to cost some money to put right. The rest of the gun is in very nice restored condition. The engraving is sharp, new case color, new brown and nicely refinished stock. It also came with the original oak and leather case. Overall, I'm not as disappointed as I was when I learned of the split.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 01/21/08 07:28 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look forward to seeing pics. I too am looking for a nice hammer gun. Too bad about the split, but it sounds like you should be able to make it right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buying a gun on an over seas auction is like playing russian roulette with 5 loaded chambers. Years ago I purchased a Wesley Richards drop lock from Southbys. I called over there and the guy got the gun on his lap and described it to me. Also, I asked other questions. When the gun came the action was locked up tight. I could not fix it. So I send it off to Nick Makinson and 450 later it was ok. Now that was about 15 years ago. $450 bought alot of gun work then. I still buy a few guns at US auctions, I now know that they are normally less than what the auction description says. So I normally figured in at least a $100 min. screw factor( I am the one getting screwed)to do something that the gun needs that was not disclosed in the auction report. I am still waiting for my Parker canvas and leather case cover from the J. C Devine auction. It was it the picture, over the case, he said it would be sent once they find it. That was about 5 years ago, still looking I guess.

John Boyd
Quality ARms

Last edited by arrieta2; 01/21/08 10:49 AM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I buy quite a few guns every year by auction overseas. Some auction houses are better than others. But generally about 60% are as described, 10% are better than descibed and 30% are worse. I just allow my bids to reflect that theres a good chance that I'll be disappointed. I miss some buys this way but at least on the ones that I do get I have a fudge factor built in. To be honest I've only been screwed once in over 100 guns. This one's not that bad. I just think that the problem should have been listed.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 01/21/08 11:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know of at least two services in the UK, Heritage Guns (Toby Barclay) and Vintage Guns (Diggory Haddoke)who will, for a modest and fair fee, view guns at auction and deliver a full report via email before the auction. I've gotten one of these myself, and the information is full and complete, lacking only an internal inspection, which wouldn't be possible. However it does include vital information relating to the barrels etc. They will also offer their subjective judgement on the overall appeal of the gun, and give an idea of any renovation or restoration cost. I can't imagine tendering a bid based on a photo or description in the auction catalogue without an exam by one of these gentlemen. They have been used by friends as well, and it's a very inexpensive way to avoid a very expensive mistake.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ZZ I know of Dig's service but I buy and import for my shop. I can't afford to add $100 to each gun. If it's a once in awhile thing or on a very expensive gun, I'd say it's worth it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's the photos I promised.

I can't see any seam at either end of the barrels.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 01/21/08 02:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That set of barrels looks fantastic. Will you discuss the original specs of the gun versus balance, etc. now and how much involvement you had in the process?

Sidelock
Sidelock

That lining work is amazing. You can't tell at all. Was it done by Teague?
Do you have any hammer guns for sale with longer bbls and heavier proofs?
Thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Montana, I bought it at auction. I don't know anything except that it is lined and it balances very nicely now. Kevin this really isn't the place to sell my guns. If you'd like to talk or email me 907 260 9185 harrell68 @ acsalaska.net (without the spaces)I'd be happy to talk to you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.