April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (NCTarheel, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, canvasback, 2 invisible), 1,062 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I am looking at an E.Arizaga from placencia SxS in 20g with ejectors, hand removed sidelocks and two brls in a leather case. Each brl is marked with a gold one or two and the gun has a gold crest on the lever. The gun has excellent wood and looks to be a very high quality gun in very good condition. Of course, I cannot find anything on the web about the gun. Any help in pointing me in the right direction? It appears of higher quality than AYA #2s I have seen but I know the company went out of business. It has original brl blue and a blued action (not case colors) and has exceptional full cover deep releif scroll. The gun also comes with original wax paper proofing documents stamped 1963 for each brl. Included is a copy of the advetisement placing the original cost of the gun at about $500 (I assume from 1960s). It does have a rather stiff action and trigger pull and appears to be a blued action rather than case colored - I have not confirmed, but seller suggests that that was the original as per the advertisement. The seller does seem like an honest person so I have no reason to doubt. Any information on this gun would be greatly appreciated!

Any help in value too would be great. The person is willing to take $2800 in cash which seems low for the quality but a little high for the name from what I can see on the web.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun should be a very fine one. The company only built custom ordered guns of best to very best quality.
I would suggest that to buy a like gun today would cost near five times the asking for the one you may buy.
Hope this helps.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack OcOnnor has a bit to say about Arizaga guns in "The Shotgun Book". He said he had a 20 gauge that he liked very much but its single trigger doubled "all the time". He also said that at some later time they were making only cheaper guns for the American market and were not so good.(at that time). If you are able to tell a well made gun by looking at it(no offense intended but some of us can and many others haven't a clue) and if it fits you well, $2800 is not very much money for a 2 barrel sidelock set these days. You could pay that much for a Benelli Super-Something-or-other, automatic. I'd feel better about it if it has two triggers. If not, ask to be allowed to shoot a couple rounds of skeet with it, to see if the single trigger works OK. I would also be slightly skeptical about the action and locks being original blue, but I could easily be wrong about that. Seems like most sidelocks are CC'd.

> Jim Legg <

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, I was also going to buy an E. Arazaga (didn't, long story about the seller) anyway, I did some research on this maker. Yes indeed they were a top shelf maker prior to them joining DIARM. From what I found they were a smaller maker, but were basically hand made custom/semi-custom guns.

All of the examples I've seen were CC frames. I have never seen one with a blued frame, it's possible, but to be honest I doubt it.

As far as single triggers go, Jack O'Connor had nothing but problems with his two custom made E.A. In fact he had the triggers replaced by the Miller Trigger Co. This is not to say that this trigger will have any problems (I have 4 spanish guns with SST and have had no problems with them, but these guns are of recent manufracture). I would really check the trigger close, as Jim said fire a couple rounds of clays to see what happens.

I myself would really look this gun over close, but in the end if you want it and it makes you smile - go for it.

Best of luck!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes, it is a double trigger model. I have a 20g RBL with single trigger and really wish I had the double trigger model (anyone out there want to swap?).

He is going to let a gunmaker look it over. as for skeet, that may be a little more difficult. The gun clearly looks like a really nice one and very high quality. Ejectors seem to work fine and it has cocking indicators like an AYA. It is really stiff to open and close but it also has been sitting for some time - I will make sure the gunmaker looks at that.

I have seen newer guns with blued actions, but agree it does seem odd for the older ones.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With two triggers you obviously don't have to worry about single trigger problems. If you could remove one of the locks, you could see if they show CC on the inside. If so, it's surely been blued. Also, look for the engraving and printing to show indications of being buffed, another sure sign of a poor re-bluing job. Can you take pictures of it and post them here?

Last edited by Jim Legg; 01/21/08 08:10 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy it

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will try to get the gun next weekend. As I remember it, all the markings on the action and proof marks are really crisp. I will likely buy it as long as the gunsmith checks out okay.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Luck to you, it does sound nice for that price - let us know how things turn out. I'm sure fine.

BTW, welcome to the forum lots of great info and folks here.

All the best!!!!!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks everyone for all the help and history. I will let you know how it turns out. If any of you know more or have pictures of other examples, please let me know.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.