May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (R Reynolds, Der Ami, Borderbill, smlekid), 1,066 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,514
Posts545,670
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
tw #8112 11/01/06 08:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as "Go to Guns" are concerned, it depends where i am going...

Swanky driven pheasant day = Browning Superposed B25 30" barrels tapered rib + 1/2 and full chokes - reaches out for those high birds - and even better lets me poach birds off my neighbouring gun 2 pegs away... ha ha oh wot fun!!!!!!!!!! especially when somebody else gets the blame.

Rough walked up / uplands day = AYA No.4 28" 6 1/2 lbs not much choke - bliss!!!

Bad weather day Browning 525 Game - 30" 6mm rib.

Feeling bored day = wifes Winchester 101 20 bore.

I also have a few more - my "go to" depends on how the mood takes me.....

Jonty

Last edited by Jonty; 11/01/06 08:17 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quail -- 28 gauge Parker Repro
Dove -- Ruger 20 gauge O/U
Pheasant -- Win M23 Classic 12 gauge
Turkey -- 870 Express 12 gauge 3" mag
Deer -- M70 .257 1950 vintage
Bigger game with teeth or horns Win .375 or Rem .416
More and sometimes I switch for the fun of it
Next year I will have my Fox project finished and it will likely be my favorite

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Originally Posted By: Greg Hartman
Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Greg
Beautiful Model 42!
Steve
At one time, I used the 42 for "wild" bird hunting.

Did you shoot it one handed? If not maybe you could loan it to David Foster (referencing his idiotic column in Gray's a couple issues back).

Sorry - I don't understand the reference - cultural pygmy, I suppose.

No - I didn't shoot it one-handed. Why would anyone do that? .410's are tough enough without playing such silly games. Now and then I see people shooting some of the easy skeet stations one-handed, from the hip or the like - and frankly I think that is a very bad practice - what if you lose control of the gun? On game that is unconscionable. At the very least I would leave if I saw anyone doing that - not only is there the safety factor, but a hunter has a duty to dispatch game humanely.

In David Foster's Gray's column three (I think) issues back he announced that in order to make things more challanging he now shoots upland birds only with a Model 42 .410, and with only one hand. I looked hard for the tongue-in-cheek but couldn't find it. I thought it an extremely arrogant and idiotic thing to say; I started a couple of letters to the editor (him!) to say so, but never got around to finishing one, and gave up.

Letters in the last two issues told me I wasn't the only one who felt that way, but Foster gave and equally arrogant and idiotic response. I've been a long-time Gray's subscriber but have become increasingly disappointed in the magazine and its attitude; this pretty much clinched it for me, and I doubt I'll be renewing.

Anyway, sorry for the obscure reference; I thought maybe others were familiar with the column.

Fin

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 11/01/06 10:47 AM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might as well throw my 2 cents worth in:

Ducks & geese - my old reliable Win Mod 12 3" goose gun with full choke opened to modified for steel shot.

Ferel/barn pigeons - AyA Mod 56, 12 ga, or Chas Lancaster 1896 Mod A Pigeon gun, 12 ga. (We have nearly an unlimited quantity of these here in SE Texas. Considered absolutely non-protected by Texas Parks & Wildlife and easily and legally baited. Far better tasting than dove; about like quail, but a little tougher. Cook in pressure cooker in stew base after browning.)

Texas quail - a new little Yildiz 20 ga O/U from Academy Store here in Houston in which I have fallen in love with. (We bought these in 20 ga. for our 4-H shooting sports club for less than $400.00 each. They have held up well for little over a year with several thousand rounds in each in sporting clays and dove hunting. The kids, mostly 11 to 14 yers old, love them. They are warranted by Brileys).

Late season pheasants - my LC Smith 1901 Mod 3E, 12 ga.

Dove - the Yildiz on first day, then the AyA Mod 37 Super A, 12 ga on following days. Jim Haynes

Jim Haynes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last couple of years, not much upland gunning, so my lightweight AYA 32" ten with 1 3/4 ounce WW steel has been my general purpose waterfowler, Parker Zero Grade hammer eightbore if times get tough or I run out of ten bore ammo. Bird guns include a six and a quarter pound Sauer ten boxlock. My friend of 46 years, a little tight bored 28 gauge VH made in 1904, is a favorite if the ten is considered overkill. Twelves, sixteens, and twenties are nothing but excuses. If you need a big gun, shoot a big gun, if you need a little gun, shoot a little gun. 8 and .410, everything else is a compromise.

My daughter is trying to teach me how to post a picture. I'm not sure how good a student I am. If this works its one of my go to dove guns. Webley & Scott "proprietary" Mod 400.Will know in a couple of weeks if it works on Bobwhites.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Last couple of years, not much upland gunning, so my lightweight AYA 32" ten with 1 3/4 ounce WW steel has been my general purpose waterfowler, Parker Zero Grade hammer eightbore if times get tough or I run out of ten bore ammo. Bird guns include a six and a quarter pound Sauer ten boxlock. My friend of 46 years, a little tight bored 28 gauge VH made in 1904, is a favorite if the ten is considered overkill. Twelves, sixteens, and twenties are nothing but excuses. If you need a big gun, shoot a big gun, if you need a little gun, shoot a little gun. 8 and .410, everything else is a compromise.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. If you're just trying to stir the pot, I'd say well done. If not; well, that was a pretty silly post.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
tw #8214 11/01/06 11:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the re-welcome. Shoot-N-Release AKA Lefty; been around for years. Ever since Dave got a new host I've had trouble logging on so I had to re-register with my duckhunter.net nom de guerre. Haven't been out for ducks yet here in WA cause the first part of the season is not my cuppa tea. Waiting for the first freeze and northerns to come down. It went down to 29F last night on the west side of the mts so things are shaping up.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.