April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, skeettx, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 717 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#82454 02/11/08 02:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today is a very emotional day in my life, and gives me faith in goodness, good fortune, luck and God working in mysterious ways.
Being brought up in 'The Black Country' the Industrial area in the West Midlands of England UK as a school leaver I was fascinated by the Birmingham Gun Quarter and had many part time jobs there before settling down at Uni and my chosen engineering career.One of these Saturday jobs and school holiday jobs was at Webley's. There they had a great man who was works foreman and finisher Bert Williams.
Fifty years later I do business with a company from Birmingham the CEO happened to mention his Dad used to work at Webley's. "I think I've got his tools in the shed somewhere, you can have them if I can find them out"
Today I took delivery of the toolkit which belonged to yes you've guessed Bert Williams.But with a twist of fate there nestling amongst them was a chequering cutter with the initials on the handle PH "welcome home baby" it is irrefutabley my initials.Nice to know Bert had time for the 'little rascal'and his tool.
Also amongst the bits and bobs are numerous pins, springs, strikers, swivels etc., which will probably get one of us here on this board out of a fix one day.

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fantastic!! So much has been lost in the hands of those who "just didn't know."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for this neat post. We don't get enough of this type of thing. Glad the memories came back to youl

Daryl

The English have a word for this sort of thing, fortuitous I believe. What a great story!

Exorcisms performed cheaply. "We get the Hell out!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story, and very fortunate for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, please tell us all you can remember about the Birmingham gun industry. And again, what do you recall of Webley's operation? Any and all fragments of information will be welcome and valuable. Too much has already been lost!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a nice thing. Sometimes the world and time can seem so small. Thanks for telling the story. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

As the owner of a Webley DB 10ga it was nice to read your story. Save all those pieces, someone will need them sooner or later.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all for your kind remarks.Today was one of those days, did a little bit of travelling, jobbing and visiting old mates, like master stocker Ken Dawson, down at Bilbrook (Wolverhampton), Wisemans, Mike Dingley (Ex-Scott Checkerer) finally ending up at York & Wallin Lockmakers.Remembering the days when in the 60's the Old men would go and have a skinfull of beer at lunchtime while us young uns would go to The Surfside Stop coffee bar in Soho road.Remembering the day that Christian Ashthorpes daughter was sent to the Proof House with a load of barrels for proving, but didn't make it because every time she had gone there with her Dad, she remembered seeing a pigeon drinking from a pothole in the road full of water, but when she was on her own she couldn't find the pigeon or the street.He was not amused when she got back without delivering the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, keep it up. I suspect you've got a lot of information and stories trapped somewhere behind your eyes. We're all anxious to hear it!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.