April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, CJF, battle, GeorgeGibbs505, bigblock), 1,256 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Salopian #84207 02/22/08 03:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Along the rib on my Custom Grade Model 21 is "Custom Made for Fred Remington". Would I rather it not be on there? Of course. Did it lower the resale value of the gun? You figure- I paid $5000.00 for it about five years ago. (Anybody know the guy?)......... I have a 1960s Weatherby Mark V rifle in .300 Weatherby Magnum with a Weatherby 9X variable scope. It was custom made for my uncle. It has 24 mother of pearl inlets, the stock is checkered with cut leaves on the entire stock. And it has his name under the forend on a gold plaque. My aunt gave it to me after he died in 1975. Do I mind if it has his name on it? Nope. I will give it to my son to give to his. So, I guess it depends on the cicumstances. If you want to keep the gun and don't ever plan to sell it, I guess it doesn't matter. But if you get one to resell and make a profit, it probably does lower the value. Fortunately though, my son and I have the same initials.

Salopian #84217 02/22/08 08:31 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A word of warning.

An old boy I used to soot with once generously offered to get my cartridge bags initialled for me. " They are such nice bags, you should have your initiails on them Dig" he said over lunch in the pub.

So, I carefully wrote my initials: E.D.F.H on a piece of paper. Andy made a note on the paper to remind him what they were for and took the bags away.

Two weeks later he proudly presented me with my three bags (all Brady combined value £700) with the initials D.I.G.S in deep bold embossing - a nice job.

"But Andy", I said "those are not my initials!"
"Yes they are - look" - he took out the paper and on the reverse of where I had written EDFH, was Any's note in block letters: DIGS INITIALS FOR BAGS.

At least is wasn't my Purdey! Everytime I see them I think of Andy and laugh.

Small Bore #84239 02/22/08 10:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am always amazed at the number of guns I see with those ovals left blank.

If it was a gun I bought with every intention of it being a keeper for life then I would absolutely get it engraved. If it's something I wasn't sure about or bought only to turn a profit then I would absolutely NOT get it engraved.

How difficult is it to have these ovals replaced? Is that an option? Obviously personalization on other parts of the gun I would probably not want to jack around with, but could you not have a new blank brass oval professionally installed?

tnwestes #84242 02/22/08 10:51 AM

We once had a M-21 20 gauge Skeet come thru the shop that the previous had gone one better than engraving initals on the oval.
This moron, apparently worried about theft and forgetting that the gun was already identified with a serial number, engraved his SSAN on the barrels.

Jimmy W #84258 02/22/08 12:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
Along the rib on my Custom Grade Model 21 is "Custom Made for Fred Remington". Would I rather it not be on there? Of course. Did it lower the resale value of the gun? You figure- I paid $5000.00 for it about five years ago. (Anybody know the guy?)......... I have a 1960s Weatherby Mark V rifle in .300 Weatherby Magnum with a Weatherby 9X variable scope. It was custom made for my uncle. It has 24 mother of pearl inlets, the stock is checkered with cut leaves on the entire stock. And it has his name under the forend on a gold plaque. My aunt gave it to me after he died in 1975. Do I mind if it has his name on it? Nope. I will give it to my son to give to his. So, I guess it depends on the cicumstances. If you want to keep the gun and don't ever plan to sell it, I guess it doesn't matter. But if you get one to resell and make a profit, it probably does lower the value. Fortunately though, my son and I have the same initials.

I'd tell people it belonged to Frederic Remington, the famous Western artist. Never mind that he died in 1909.

> Jim Legg <

Jim Legg #84286 02/22/08 02:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had my gun MIA in a shooting lodge for a whole day, because some guy didn't notice it wasn't his gun...
It was a Beretta SPIII with a blank oval, and I'll get it engraved as soon as possible.
I think all guns and cases that are mixed with others in a lodge or someplace else should have some kind of ID.
The practical point of having the oval engraved was not having the Earls Purdey's ending up in the wrong place, and although not a Purdey I missed not having my gun for the day.

Best
HM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone believe that engraving will reduce the value any more than having chokes bored out on a gun marked Mod/Full?

Fred Lowe #84290 02/22/08 02:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Opening M/F chokes doesn't reduce the value....it just narrows the market.

Just as a gun with a left handed stock doesn't sell for less than its right-handed counterpart, but the market is smaller.

Heck, I'd pay a premium if I found one already engraved with MEC

mike campbell #84296 02/22/08 03:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another thing Steve does not mention in his original post: You don't say if you had the gun made for you. If someone has a gun made to his specs with a space for his name then I would say that it would be silly to have the gun made up that way and not have one's initials put in it. Wouldn't you think?

Small Bore #84300 02/22/08 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig, that's a dandy---especially your seeing the humour of it.

My buddy and I were cutting some large maples for firewood, big stuff, and with a combined nearly 140 years with axe and chainsaw experience, we got three chainsaws stuck in one tree.

My buddy, now 91, a logger before the Second World War , a river-drive man, was humiliated. I said, Tommy, I find these are things we remember and laugh about the rest of our lives. And we do.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.