April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (bushveld, Argo44, fallschirmjaeger, Borderbill, 3 invisible), 855 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,755
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gentlemen, If good quality pictures are taken with 35mm film and scanned, then posted, can they be as detailed as pictures taken with a digital camera? I have two 35mms, but no digital and am wondering if, for this purpose alone, I need a new camera? Thank-you, Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt, As expensive as it is to process 35mm stuff, you will be miles ahead getting a digital. They are getting relatively inexpensive. If someone knows what they are doing, you can get a pretty darn good one for 200 bucks or so. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

in a word, yes. maybe even better given the level of 35 mm equipment and your scanner. there are some pretty crappy digital cameras out there that even a pro could not take a good photo with. When you make your scan don't get too crazy about size vs resolution. Big or high res photos load slow and some people still have dial up that will take days to load big or high res photos. Are you scanning these yourself? Do you know how to get them posted?

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 02/27/08 01:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In terms of total information captured, film wins. However, now you are taking it through a second step that results in a certain amount of loss. In the end, you are cheaper and quicker with a digital camera.

I have 35mm, medium format, 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. When it comes to taking pictures for the web, the digital camera is my choice.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Pete. Digital is a much faster process. But if you already have the photos and a scanner, anything over 72 dpi is lost on the web.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all! I do have a scanner, though I am uncertain of the quality I'll get from it. I have an older one that was quite good, but my necessary "upgrade" to Vista ended its value. I will shoot the photos and see what I get! I am concerned how much I must spend to get good digital images while old technology gathers dust? Thanks again! I appreciate it! Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah it's sad to see an F2 Nikon just sittin on the shelf. I hear ya brother. Just where in w PA are you Kurt? I'm in New Castle, maybe I could help you. I'm good for at least a good chili dog! :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Make that two.

Mark
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some "old" 35mm lens will work with digital cameras.
This is the case with Nikon and others, you could buy the body of a digital, and use your other lenses

HM

Don't shoot slide film, too slow to get developed and too hard to scan on an average scanner.
Print film should scan fine, tho, from a typical 4x6 print.
That said digital is the way to go for just about anything.
Check what the pros are using- almost all have made the switch to digital except for studio and some landscape pros.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.