April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ya'll come too Mark.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt,
What you're thinking of doing will work fine. Have the prints made to standard size, then scan them. The issue is one of time/convenience more than anything. Sure, a good digital SLR could do better in terms of quality. But as someone above said, web pics suffer from quality for other reasons.

If you can spare a few hundred bucks, take the digital plunge. You'll make out in time and in short order, money. With a digital camera, you can go from taking the picture to having it on this bbs in few minutes.

If you are an accomplished 35mm SLR guy, jumping right to a digital SLR would be easy. However, I recommend that a person's first digital be a midsized camera with all the bells and whistles they offer at relatively low cost. You can buy a new close-out model loaded with features. For gun photog, I'd suggest one with a relatively large diameter lense (light gathering and quality), a macro mode (very handy), a built-in flash, and a telephoto mode of at least 8x (for outdoor/hunting).

If you have an old SLR, the lenses may or may not be of any value for use on a new digital SLR. I have a digital SLR now, but held out on film for a long time. Digital SLR models from the big names (Nikon, Canon, etc) are coming out at a rate of a about 2 new models per year or more. That means people are upgrading and selling their earlier models. The high number of used digital SLRs on the market has made them cheaper. However, one of the most useful lenses for gun photog is a macro lens, and these can be fairly expensive for one that does the auto-focus/auto-exposure coupling to a late model camera. If you post the make and lens models of each, the group here may be able to tell you if they will work with a new model of same make.

Take the plunge to digital, you'll like it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took pics with my 35mm took them to Thrift Drugs and they turned them into digital pics I have them on my computer now. Came out real nice.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent advice from Chuck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Kurt,

I would recommend getting a pre-owned digital camera which you can do for around
$80. Some very good ones out there ( Pre-owned ). Experiment with it and then decide
if you go the SLR way which will set you back several hundred dollars for just the body.
(hopefully you can use your lenses, otherwise you are looking at least at around
$600.- for the likes of a Sony Alpha).

JMTC.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can highly recommend this model as it's a later version of one I have. The ease of use and macro/super macro setting coupled with a large diameter lense that assures light gathering and excellent image quality makes this camera a really nice package for our bbs usage and other common uses. This would be the best $125 I think you could spend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Konica-Minolta-DiMAG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recommend this model highly:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/105-...p;x=14&y=19

big improvement over my old G2 Canon!

best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kurt,

In a nutshell, posting to a website does not require state-0f-the art digital imagery. Your computer monitor cannot reproduce the detail that a printed, much less projected, slide has.

So, go digital, but you need two components: a digital camera, and a computer with the software to repair/enhance the images. That means something halfway serious in the way of a camera, say close to $600 for a point and shoot; e.g. Canon's G9 (if I've got the model right) or Leica's D-Lux 3 (which is what I have). They come with software for your computer. In the case of the Leica it's Adobe Photoshop 4 and you download the module for the D-Lux 3 from the Adobe website, not at all difficult (I'd guess that more recent sales have a CD-ROM with the new module part of the Adobe software).

Why do you need to enhance your images? Basically with gun photos you need to minimize the highlights caused by lighting and increase detail in the shadows. It's dramatic how you can bring out the detail by suppressing highlights/enhancing shadow areas. You can actually take a noontime shot with scanned slide or print film and produce a decent image out of it without the harshness and lost detail in the shadows. But, you've got to invest a few hours to figure out how to use the software.

Using a digital SLR with your old lenses (Canon, Nikon, Leica) is a different matter and quite doable, but you have to invest some serious bucks which is why I am using the Leica point and shoot rather than going to Canon digital SLR so I can use my old EOS lenses.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

These two pics were taken....

...using this bouce flash technique with an inexpensive point n shoot with a relatively large lens dia.

This pic was with the same camera, using a halogen lamp for light source and in the "super macro" setting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I'm thinking of moving up. Is my 35mm Nikon lens Micro-NIKKOR 105mm compatible with the new digitals, and which of the digitals would you recommend, Canon, Nikon, please? I'm happy with my first digital five years ago, an Olympus 720 ,but I'd like to have greater flexability.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.