March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the Photograph of Dr. Bakers rifle, there is what appears to be a large pin (approx 3/8" dia)in the side of the receiver below the receiver barrel ring and above the lever pin.

I have seen similar pins on more than one photograph of Zischang modified Borchardts. Does anyone know what the purpose of this pin is? It must serve some function, although it's not to be found on factory made Borchardts.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Harry

The Baker-Borchardt started life as a Long-Range Creedmoor rifle. I can tell this by the milled out recesses in the action and the hollow through-bolt. When Niedner got the rifle he made a new breech block and fitted DST’s, although the triggers are a lot like ones made by Zischang the treatment of the lower tang is not and is case-colored in the Niedner-Malden style.

The tapered pin in the action is a take-down so there may have been more barrels for the action at one time. It’s very possible that the take-down pin was the work of Zischang. Dr. Baker had many rifles and this rifle may have been something else between the long-range and woodchuck rifle we see today.

Another interesting thing about this rifle is the barrel on it was original on one of Niedner’s rifles, who then mounted it on Bakers rifle. I have a Borchardt that belonged to Niedner that has a Stevens-Pope .38-72 barrel on it that originally belonged to Dr. Baker and was on his Remington.

Michael

Last edited by Michael Petrov; 11/04/06 02:58 PM.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael Petrov, Don't know if this is'too late for you to read, but I was unpacking a box of old stuff, John Amber Photos, Letters from long dead Customers,John Pirie(sp)Carson, Pirie,&Scott,Dept Store in Chicago,Good client of Purdey's,Elmer (THE HAT)Keith.Have a GREAT photo of 'The EX' with a db 375H&H and Elmers Big Hat,Dead Lion Rug with the EX(sans clothing)looking "VERY Trophy-Like"...But, an Englishman's Promise is a Promise!!!!I think Barry Hands may have had 'a peek' when we were unpacking these boxes couple of weeks ago!!!!!But I've regressed......I have a page from a 1972(?)Gun Digest from John Amber,with the obit'for Tom Shelhamer,1890-1971 and in the next column,Nash Buckingham,1881-1971.Amber wrotea nice, short(65words) piece for Mr Shelhamer. Two'Biggies' Off to the Blue Yonder in the same year..C/C

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
Harry

The tapered pin in the action is a take-down so there may have been more barrels for the action at one time. It’s very possible that the take-down pin was the work of Zischang. Dr. Baker had many rifles and this rifle may have been something else between the long-range and woodchuck rifle we see today.

Michael

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply, but it has brought up another question. I know that some different makes of rifles,(including target rifles)had the barrels pinned in place by one or two crosspins. There being no threads on either the receiver or barrel.

Is Dr.Bakers rifle 'threadless' or, is the barrel a light hand tight screw in fit, locked in place by the cross pin, or is the pin alone holding the barrel in position?

I only ask,because I am building a 'Borchardt' from scratch and the thought had crossed my mind to have two or more of barrels in different calibres that could be changed quickly, in the field, instead of having to take the rifle home and do a barrel change there.

It would make my project a lot more interesting if I could have one barrel in 45/70 or 45/90 for long range BRCR, a .38" -.40"BP round for hunting Roe Deer, and, with a spare breechblock it could be converted to a .22 rimfire for rabbits and vermin.

Provided the receiver ring and the barrels are precision ground so that they fit together without any movement or play, I see no reason why a tapered locking pin shouldn't hold them together as well as the traditional screw together fitting. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 11/04/06 07:57 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: crossedchisles
Michael Petrov, Don't know if this is'too late for you to read, but I was unpacking a box of old stuff, John Amber Photos, Letters from long dead Customers,John Pirie(sp)Carson, Pirie,&Scott,Dept Store in Chicago,Good client of Purdey's,Elmer (THE HAT)Keith.Have a GREAT photo of 'The EX' with a db 375H&H and Elmers Big Hat,Dead Lion Rug with the EX(sans clothing)looking "VERY Trophy-Like"...But, an Englishman's Promise is a Promise!!!!I think Barry Hands may have had 'a peek' when we were unpacking these boxes couple of weeks ago!!!!!But I've regressed......I have a page from a 1972(?)Gun Digest from John Amber,with the obit'for Tom Shelhamer,1890-1971 and in the next column,Nash Buckingham,1881-1971.Amber wrotea nice, short(65words) piece for Mr Shelhamer. Two'Biggies' Off to the Blue Yonder in the same year..C/C

All interesting stuff , I have all the “Gun Digest” but was unaware of the Shelhamer obit, I will look it up, thanks for the alert. Do you ever remember talking with John Amber about an “Accident” in his gun room that involved a pellet rifle and a very historical custom rifle? If so I would like to hear more!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[/quote]

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the prompt reply, but it has brought up another question. I know that some different makes of rifles,(including target rifles)had the barrels pinned in place by one or two crosspins. There being no threads on either the receiver or barrel.

Is Dr.Bakers rifle 'threadless' or, is the barrel a light hand tight screw in fit, locked in place by the cross pin, or is the pin alone holding the barrel in position?

I only ask,because I am building a 'Borchardt' from scratch and the thought had crossed my mind to have two or more of barrels in different calibres that could be changed quickly, in the field, instead of having to take the rifle home and do a barrel change there.

It would make my project a lot more interesting if I could have one barrel in 45/70 or 45/90 for long range BRCR, a .38" -.40"BP round for hunting Roe Deer, and, with a spare breechblock it could be converted to a .22 rimfire for rabbits and vermin.

Provided the receiver ring and the barrels are precision ground so that they fit together without any movement or play, I see no reason why a tapered locking pin shouldn't hold them together as well as the traditional screw together fitting. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Harry [/quote]

Harry,

If your building a Borchardt from scratch my hat if off to your sir and I wish you the best of luck. I like your idea about using it for both target and hunting. The barrel is threaded and I would not consider anything else. I don’t believe that I would build a rifle (target) with no threads and only cross-pins. We just built a spare barrel for my Stevens 44 ½ that I can change with the barrel in a padded vise using an oak block of wood in the breech-block cut out. This barrel is then held in with a screw from the bottom of the frame that is tapered on the sides of the end but does not bottom out. I also have a Ballard that has this same Stevens set-screw in the bottom of the frame. I have seen take-down single-shots by both Zischang and Schoyen that have the cross-pin and they were all threaded.

Michael

Last edited by Michael Petrov; 11/05/06 02:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Michael,

Many thanks for the reply, I've sent you a PM to avoid cluttering up this fascinating thread.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,I did'nt hear that particular story, butI saw the "Speed Graphic" that got 'Itself'shot at "A Farm" Marengo,Illinois!!!I wonder where those Beautiful Single-Shot rifles are to-day?? I have a English Oak,"Coffin Rifle-Case" With a Brass Name Plate on the outside of the lid, Engraved'William Cooper. 7 Union Court. Liverpool.The case is 55" long. JA told me it was built for a'Whitworth Rifle aprox 1850-1860" A similar case is pictured in Gun Digest1983 P110(JA gave me the page with the case)..DT

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Michael,

Many thanks for the reply, I've sent you a PM to avoid cluttering up this fascinating thread.

Harry

Harry,

No PM, send me a note to mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Hello Michael,

Harry

Harry,

No PM, send me a note to mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.