May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 201 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,170
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have any information regarding the renewed availability of bismuth shot or loaded shells? I contacted Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading they have no source. I contacted KLM Group, they had plans to import Eley bismuth from the UK and that project is dead. I tried to contact Eley in the UK, no response. I contacted a major Eley retailer in the UK and was told they can't ship to the US.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can Eley ship to Canada? Some here, could have limited access to them then. Just a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I watch for NOS bismuthj loaded ammo on the intenret gun sites and it is going up and up. There are soem boxes on gunbroker .com right now.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know a Eley retailer in Eastern Canada?

Last edited by Craig Larter; 03/01/08 09:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Will Bilozir in Dewinton, Alberta was selling bismuth for years and trying to find a way to make it here. He may be our man for current circumstances as they refer to a Canadian source. His last email address was bismuth@bilozir.net. My last contact was last June. Decent and cooperative..

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks King, I will try e-mailing him. I read the manufacturing patentfor bismuth shot and it does not seem to be that difficult to make. It must be impossible to get a license to manufacture it from the patent holders.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have they settled the Estate of the late Mr. Peterson? I suspect it is just one minor part of his estate and of little interest to anyone other than us here. From what I understand the Bismuth Shot Company was not a highly profitable enterprise. More of a labor of love, by a man who could keep it afloat by his other resources.

Perhaps I was misinformed and Bismuth was a real money maker. If so I would have thought that you would either have heard of interest in buying it and producing more shells and shot or it would have been kept running while a new owner was found. Time will tell.

I for one am going to try making my own again. First try yielded about 20% good shot. Since I had other shot on hand I just never spent much time learning how to get it right. Others on the bbs have made much better quality and quantity that I have been able to make. Just the price of Bismuth metal is still high, the last time I looked. Was hoping it would go back down about $5.00 - $8.00 a pound before I bought more of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before y'all start making homemade shot from BI metal be sure you know what's involved in getting it approved by the USF&W Service. The original Bismuth CC had approval for a certain alloy of BI and Tin. I don't think you can make up homemade shot from pure BI or some unknown alloy and try to cabbage in on the approval for the real deal. CB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be surprised to see it come back unless imported from England. When Bismuth came out it was the only alternative to steel. Now there is Heavy Shot, Tungsten etc. Bismuth is needed by waterfowlers shooting classic doubles as modern guns capable of shooting steel have other alternatives mentioned above. Perhaps if lead is banned for other types of hunting besides waterfowl it may come back but until then I believe the market share for it is too small for commercial production.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if anyone is still searching for Bismuth but I did find a local supply for a couple 12ga loads. The Axman store here in Missoula, Montana has #6 shot 12ga 1 3/8 oz, #4 shot 12ga 1 1/4 oz. The price $18.98. The #6 shot is a buffered load. They are a little heavy but it is all I have located recently.
Best,
Ron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.